Author Topic: Recording with metronome and hearing it on playback  (Read 1194 times)

Offline jcm2016

Recording with metronome and hearing it on playback
« on: January 24, 2023, 11:46:20 PM »
I want to be able to hear the metronome when I play back a recording of just the piano (no style on).  I'm practicing technical stuff and want to hear my precision with the click (or lack of!).  I tried in both midi and audio and didn't see a simple setting. 

I think I could use midi and a drum kit to manually lay down a "metronome" on one track, then record  the piano on another track.  But my "metronome" won't be perfectly consistent.   

Or maybe take a style and mute all the tracks other than a constant cymbal.  That would work for keeping perfect time.  I'd have to search through the styles?

Or style creator?   I've not touched that yet.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Much appreciated!

Offline overover

Re: Recording with metronome and hearing it on playback
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 07:24:10 AM »
Hi jcm2016,

Actually, the metronome should also be able to be switched on during playback (with the METRONOME ON/OFF button on the panel). Have you tried this on your CVP-805 yet?

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2023, 08:21:49 AM »
Chris - thanks for the response.  Are you saying that I playback the recording, and there's no metronome within the recording, then manually start the metronome "outside" the recording, so two distinct things are happening at the same time (playing recording plus metronome)?  I haven't done that, but I see how it could work if I start the metronome at the right moment.  Thanks again.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 12:39:21 PM »
Chris - thanks for the response.  Are you saying that I playback the recording, and there's no metronome within the recording, then manually start the metronome "outside" the recording, so two distinct things are happening at the same time (playing recording plus metronome)?  I haven't done that, but I see how it could work if I start the metronome at the right moment.  Thanks again.

Hi jcm2016,

When playing back a MIDI recording or when you play with a style, the metronome should be automatically synchronized, whether it is activated before or during playback. In the case of an Audio recording, on the other hand, there is no longer any synchronization with the built-in metronome.

By the way, if you want the metronome sound to be recorded, you could create a suitable style on the CVP-805 in the Style Creator. Just record one, two or four bars with the desired drum sounds on either channel 9 or 10.

Information on Style Creator can be found in the CVP-805 Reference Manual starting on page 54.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 12:41:17 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline jcm2016

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 03:45:23 PM »
Chris,

Thanks for this.  I hadn't realized the metronome stayed synchronised on playback of the Midi.  That achieved exactly what I was looking for.

Jason