Author Topic: Onacimus' Conversions styles for SX700?  (Read 944 times)

Offline p$manK32

Onacimus' Conversions styles for SX700?
« on: January 24, 2023, 07:06:08 PM »
Onacimus’ Conversions styles for SX900 on this website looks like a great collection. There is no mention of SX700 in the descriptions however. Should I assume most of them are compatible with SX700, and any missing voices within the styles can be replaced?

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

The following users thanked this post: janekm59

Offline BogdanH

Re: Onacimus' Conversions styles for SX700?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 08:05:44 PM »
These styles will of course work on SX700, however in some of them (according to Onacimus comments) SX900 voices/drumkits are used that don't exist on SX700.
That is, it will happen that you either hear wrong voice (because of automatic voice replacement) or there will be silence for particular voice -in both cases style will not sound as intended! Again, just by looking at style on keyboard, you can not know what voices are missing.
I recommend you get some dedicated software (so called "style revoice"), where you can see what voices are used, so you can properly replace them. That process can be very time consuming if dealing with big amount of styles. So I recommend you do that only for styles that you really like.

Bogdan
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 08:12:39 PM by BogdanH »
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 08:34:44 PM »
Thanks Bogdan, makes sense.

I sold my SX900 earlier this year, but now considering the SX700 this time to have alongside my MODX. There are some great style conversions offered (Onacimus, Rikki etc.) in the free Styles downloads section here, but it's not clear how well they are going to convert to the 700. I suppose it just has to be a trial and error kind of experimentation to see which ones convert well, and perhaps try the software, as as you say, just on the ones I like.

While we are on the topic of 900 to 700 conversions, is the issue similar with registration files? For example, Yamaha offers free Bonus Playlist song downloads packs separately for the 700 and 900. Some of the song registrations in the 900 pack are not in the 700 pack. I assume if I grab one from 900 pack and load it in 700 there will be missing registration info similar to the Styles issue?

Rich
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 09:01:17 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 09:19:41 PM »
While we are on the topic of 900 to 700 conversions, is the issue similar with registration files?..
I see registrations as personal (keyboard specific) settings, which are usually used for specific song which you play the way you want. Means, registrations made by someone else might not be that useful for your playing anyway -just my opinion.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 10:28:41 PM »
I see registrations as personal (keyboard specific) settings, which are usually used for specific song which you play the way you want. Means, registrations made by someone else might not be that useful for your playing anyway -just my opinion.

I see other people's registrations as useful for voice combination ideas as well as voice EQ & Effect settings that I have not done myself. Eileen in this forum posted some of her favorite registrations last year that I thought really freshened up the voices through her use of Effects and EQ. But just my opinion also.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

The following users thanked this post: Cone