Author Topic: Question on Playlist  (Read 995 times)

Offline jcm2016

Question on Playlist
« on: January 23, 2023, 01:43:58 PM »
I was watching a YouTube video with the Yamaha rep in Australia about Playlist.  I believe he said that Playlist can control more than registrations.  Can someone please explain that?  I see how Playlist is a collection of registrations, and can be useful for grouping for gigs, or just similar genre etc.   But fundamentally I thought it pointed to a registration, and no more.   

Am I missing some of the functionality of Playlist?

Ideally, I like the idea of the score being connected to a registration.  I see how a score can be connected to a "Song".   I know there's some third party software that can link up scores to be shown on an external monitor.

How can Playlist be used for Scores?

Thank you!

Offline davidg

Re: Question on Playlist
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 03:39:54 PM »
A play list is merely a list of songs.  The hard work needs to be done by first setting up the songs and registrations.

If you have a separate file for each song (highly recommended) then you can save (on a CVP) up to eight registrations for that single song. 

The Yamaha manual is not very helpful here.  Although (for simplicity) I have used the word "song"  Yamaha calls a group of (up to eight) registrations assigned to a "song" a "registration bank".

Anyway, the hierarchy (using my terminology !) is like this.

Playlist 1
    Song 1
        Registration 1
        Registration 2
        Registration 3  (etc up to eight)
    Song 2
        Registration 1
        Registration 2
    Song 3 .... and so on
Playlist 2
    Song 1
        Registration 1
        Registration 2
And so on.

You can create many playlists.

As regards, linking a score with a song (and that song's group of registrations) there are indeed a number of software packages available which will do this.  I am a big fan of Mobilesheets Pro (I have no affiliation) which also allows you to create playlists ("set lists") within the software.  For what it is worth I find using setlists (in Mobilesheets) a little more intuitive than playlists on the CVP. 

Hope this is of help.
Regards,
David

Offline jcm2016

Re: Question on Playlist
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 04:34:24 PM »

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense to me.

On the technical point, is it possible to point to a score within the registrations?   I guess fundamentally the score needs to be within the CVP in the first place and that seems to only happen with what Yamaha calls a "song" (distinct from what you are very logically calling a song and Yamaha calls a registration bank)?  Put another way, if registrations don't have scores,candy playlist points to registrations, then playlist won't have scores.  Right?

I had taken a brief look at Mobile sheets when I had my SX900, and while it looked impressive with a finished product, I didn't think I had the time to invest to get it there. 

Much appreciated