Author Topic: Volume pedal  (Read 939 times)

Offline Ellon1

Volume pedal
« on: January 22, 2023, 08:09:58 PM »
Is there any way to get a volume pedal to from 0 to 120 instead of 0 to the default setting. i find the default value for the R1to low and despite having a volume pedal i still have to manual alter the volume of the R1 vice every time i change the style or OTS :-\

Re: Volume pedal
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 10:22:04 PM »
Dear Ellon,

I'm not sure I answer to your question.

As soon I got Genos I noticed that R1, R2, R3 volume was quite low in almost all the preset styles, as compared to the style (accompaniment parts) volume.

Therefore, every time I turn on Genos, I set (Mixer) the Style volume to 70 (instead of 100, which is the default level). This setup gives IMHO a well balanced volume between accompaniment and solo voices.

BTW, I use and expression pedal, that is very useful to control the voices, not only on organs, pads, choirs, but also on any other voice (in addition to the expression that one gives through key velocity and aftertouch).

Ciao

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

The following users thanked this post: Ellon1

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 04:02:16 AM »
Is there any way to get a volume pedal to from 0 to 120 instead of 0 to the default setting. i find the default value for the R1to low and despite having a volume pedal i still have to manual alter the volume of the R1 vice every time i change the style or OTS :-\

Hi Ellon1,

First a note: The volume of the keyboard parts also depends (for most voices) on how hard you hit the keys. If you have a light touch, I recommend changing the setting from "Normal" to "Soft2" under "Menu Keyboard/Joystick > Keyboard > Initial Touch > Touch Curve". This setting produces a relatively high volume even with light playing strength.

Now to your question: With a connected volume pedal (a so-called "Expression pedal" such as Yamaha FC7) you can only lower the volume of the parts that the pedal affects. When the pedal is fully depressed, the affected parts have the same volume as when the pedal was not connected.

The One Touch Settings (OTS) of the styles do not change the currently set Style volume. If you only play with OTS (rather than not with Registrations) you can, as already suggested by Angelo, just reduce the Style volume as desired to have more "reserve" for the keyboard voices.

You can also edit the OTS if necessary, e.g. increase the volume of certain Right parts. To do this, after you have made the desired settings, first press the "MEMORY" button and then the desired OTS button. Since the OTS are saved in the Style data, you now have to re-save the STYLE (in the user drive or on a USB stick).

If you have already set the volume of a keyboard part to 127 in the Mixer, you can increase the volume even further for most voices in "Voice Edit" with the "Volume" parameter ("Menu > Voice Edit > Common > Volume"). You you could also use the "Touch Sensitivity" parameters ("Depth" and "Offset") there to achieve a higher volume with a relatively light touch. You can also use the Part EQ and/or the Effect settings, e.g. to make a voice "more assertive".

If you have edited a Voice in "Voice Edit" or in the Mixer, you can save it as a User Voice. This is recommended if you later want to quickly recall this modified Voice. Alternatively, you can memorize Voices edited in "Voice Edit" or Mixer directly to OTS or directly to Registrations. Important: Such User Voices can only be used in Keyboard parts, i.e.not in Style parts, MIDI files or Multi Pads.

Personally, I generally store all settings in Registrations (one Registration Bank per song title). I actually only use OTS when I'm trying out styles, so I see OTS primarily as suggestions for Voice combinations. Note: An OTS Voice can sound completely different (in most cases better) than the Preset Voice of the same name.

Working with Registrations has many advantages. For example, you can store many more parameters in Registrations, i.e. in OTS. (See the SX900 Data List for details.) So if you're new to Registrations, I highly recommend you get involved (see the information in the SX900 Owner's Manual starting on page 86 and the SX900 Reference Manual starting on page 87).

P.S.
In this context, please note that pedals should always be connected BEFORE switching on the keyboard and should not be stepped on during the boot process. The reason for this is that when the keyboard is turned on, it automatically detects the type and polarity of the connected pedals.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, MadrasGiaguari, Ellon1

Offline Ellon1

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 04:53:39 PM »
thx for your very full and obviously knowledgeable  answer. follow up question. if i use say 15 different style regularly, do you suggest i have 15 registrations? i have not used registrations, apart from a setup registration which hold my basic settings for the keyboard. i frightened that my vocal setting, pedal settings assigned  live control setting alter every time i change a registration. would i have to set all these up to be saved in each style registration i create? 

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 08:38:45 PM »
Off topic

thx for your very full and obviously knowledgeable  answer. follow up question. if i use say 15 different style regularly, do you suggest i have 15 registrations? i have not used registrations, apart from a setup registration which hold my basic settings for the keyboard. i frightened that my vocal setting, pedal settings assigned  live control setting alter every time i change a registration. would i have to set all these up to be saved in each style registration i create?

Thanks for your feedback, Ellon1!

Usually you create a separate registration bank for each song title (which can contain 1 - 8 registrations on the SX900). For example, you can call up an Intro and a specific Main Variation in Registration #1 and activate Sync Start, with the next buttons you call up fill-ins and/or other Main Variations, and with another Reg button a specific Ending. You can also use the "Registration Sequence" function to foot pedal through the Registrations (in a predetermined order).

Of course you can also initially create only one Registration Bank for each style used (and save it with the name of the style, for example).

So that the registrations used for style playing do not change the settings previously made with a setup registration, you only have to make sure that the check boxes "Foot Pedals", "Live Control" and Assignable Buttons" are NOT ticked when memorizing the registrations.

Please note, however, that certain basic settings can still be changed when using registrations that you did not create yourself. To avoid this, you can lock split points and/or fingering in "Parameter Lock" if needed (Menu > Utility > Parameter Lock), and for Pedal, Live Control and/or Assignable Buttons you can use the FREEZE function if needed (set via Direct Access > Freeze button).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 10:41:01 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Ellon1