Author Topic: How can I select Registration memory using MSB and LSB (PSR S770)  (Read 2707 times)

MArcinek

Hello,
How to change the registration memory using MSB and LSB midi commands from an external midi application?
Perhaps there are also sysex commands like this?

Offline overover

Re: How can I select Registration memory using MSB and LSB (PSR S770)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 10:48:03 AM »
Hello,
How to change the registration memory using MSB and LSB midi commands from an external midi application?
Perhaps there are also sysex commands like this?

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, MArcinek!

On Tyros2 - 5 and on PSR-S975/775 you can change Registrations via MIDI using Bank Select MSB/LSB/PRG messages. On Genos and PSR-SX models there are additional SysEx for this.

But unfortunately, on PSR-S models up to S770/970, the MSB/LSB/PRG method does NOT work. Maybe there are SysEx commands for changing Registrations on these older models, but these are not documented by Yamaha.

As far as I know, the (now discontinued) Yamaha "Repertoire Finder" iOS app could change the current content of the Registration Memory via MIDI/SxsEx also on those older models, but, as i said, the corresponding commands are obviously undocumented so far.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 11:08:25 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline vlbrgt

If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 03:43:35 PM »
See topic :
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,64917.msg492736.html#msg492736

Regards
Etienne

Hi Etienne,

Do you think that the SysEx described in the thread you linked will work with the PSR-S770?

The current, bidirectional SysEx method for switching Registrations was first introduced with the Genos, and to my knowledge only works on Genos, PSR-SX models, and PSR-A5000. The method I mentioned with Bank Select MSB/LSB/PRG works, as I said, with Tyros2 - 5, and Yamaha implemented this "finally" on PSR-S975/775. But it didn't work with earlier PSR-S models.

However, this "old" method (with MSB/LSB/PRG) is very cumbersome anyway, since the Registration Bank files must be brought into a fixed order using a number at the beginning of the file name, and only the Registrations in the folder currently selected on the keyboard can be used can switch via MIDI. In addition, PSR-S and Tyros models do not send usable SysEx when loading a Registration Bank and when pressing the Registration buttons, so that you have to work with the "famous" dummy MIDI files to switch external devices via Registrations.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 03:45:17 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline vlbrgt

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 04:40:26 PM »
Oeps, my mistake.
I did not pay attention it was about a Psr s770.

Regards
Etienne
If plan A doesn't work, don't forget that the alphabet has 25 more letters.
Volbragte@telenet.be
http://Psrtutorial.com/MB/volbragt.html
Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 05:18:54 PM »
Oeps, my mistake.
I did not pay attention it was about a Psr s770.

Regards
Etienne

No problem Etienne!

Maybe someone will find out the SysEx to change Registrations for the older PSR (and Tyros) models in the future.

With the aforementioned app "Repertoire Finder" it was obviously possible to send complete Registration Banks from the iPad directly into the Registration Memory of the connected keyboard via SysEx.

Best regards,
Chris