Author Topic: Editing the drums  (Read 1080 times)

jimbell52

Editing the drums
« on: January 22, 2023, 05:56:29 PM »
Hi All finally getting out and playing with my s970 doing a lot of  cover songs with built in styles I've adjusted. I'd like to edit the drums a bit more Like  on country tunes a little more reverb just on the snare click  and bring up just the snare hit while  the other drums stay at the lower volume on some rock songs.  Also bring up or add bass to just the kick drum   is there a way to do this with out starting the style from scratch??      thanks Jim

Offline BogdanH

Re: Editing the drums
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 06:30:41 PM »
hello Jim,
You can definitely do that (no need to create style from scratch). Select desired style and open Style Creator (in MENU 2). Once you're inside, select variation you wish to modify (MAIN A, MAIN B,..) and the select either RHY2 or RHY1 (that's for drums). After you have done that, select EDIT tab and here's where you can make drum changes in style. After changes are made, you need to save your work, of course.
I highly recommend that you carefully read PSR-S970 Reference Manual (page 30) first!
It can take some time until you get the idea what's all about, but be patient. And keep in mind: try and see what happens -you cannot damage anything.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

jimbell52

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 06:42:07 PM »
Wow Thanks so Much  Doing to try it  now 

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 06:42:38 PM »
Hi All finally getting out and playing with my s970 doing a lot of  cover songs with built in styles I've adjusted. I'd like to edit the drums a bit more Like  on country tunes a little more reverb just on the snare click  and bring up just the snare hit while  the other drums stay at the lower volume on some rock songs.  Also bring up or add bass to just the kick drum   is there a way to do this with out starting the style from scratch??      thanks Jim

Hi Jim,

The easiest way to customize the drums in Styles to your liking is to use the "Drum Setup" feature. Please refer to pages 46-48 of the S970 Reference Manual ("Editing the Rhythm Part of a Style"). Note that you must do this editing for each style separately. The changes are saved directly in the style, i.e. as user style.

By the way, with the S970 it is not possible to edit a preset drum kit and save it as a new voice in order to then use it in styles, MIDI files or multi pads.

If you don't have the Reference Manual yet, you can download it here:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-s970/downloads.html

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 06:48:53 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)