Author Topic: Change of Time Signature - 4/4 to 2/4  (Read 1834 times)

Offline dh110953

Change of Time Signature - 4/4 to 2/4
« on: January 21, 2023, 03:11:35 PM »
I have a couple of pieces of music I am playing which whilst predominantly 4/4 time do have some bars that switch to 2/4 time usualy only for a single bar - so I cant play the bars over 2 or 4 bars to even out the timing before it switches back to 4/4. At the moment I still play these 2/4 bars in 4/4 time by stretching the notes within the bar a bit longer to fit with the 4/4 time of the style so the next bar is played correctly and in the correct 4/4 time.

As my playing is improving I would now like to be able to get the timing of the actual score correct - therefore my question is, whilst keeping to the style, is there a simple way of changing the timing temporaliy to give a 2/4 time and then back to 4/4 so I can play the piece to the correct time as written in the score.

This may not be just Genos....

Thanks

David
Now have a CVP 809 as my wife plays Piano but not Keyboard - I had to PX a Genos to buy it, Also have an SX700 - I did previously own a Tyros.

Offline BogdanH

Re: Change of Time Signature - 4/4 to 2/4
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 04:35:51 PM »
Time signature in Yamaha style is only defined once at the beginning of the style and it's value is then valid for the rest of the MIDI content.
As far I know, on keyboard itself, there's no way to change time signature for particular MIDI section (Intro, Fill-In, Main variation,...). I can imagine this can be done with specialized software -means, it's not simple.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: dh110953

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 05:14:25 PM »
It’s ok to stretch as long as it sounds ok. Don’t worry about being technically correct, if it sounds good. Most listeners never notice. Better players do it all the time.
Mike

Offline Gleston

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 06:20:48 PM »
Dear dh110953

I have one technique to  "go around" this limtation, but it´s a litlle hard to play.

Create a second style , only one bar, with the parts that you need.

When the first style is playing the last bar before the changing in time signature, I press to call the second style, so the keyboard finish the bar of the first and goes to the second ( the one I create).

During the execution of this only one bar style, I change back to the first style, so the keyboard finish playing the second style and then goes back to the first style.

I told you it was hard.

Offline pieterpan

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 06:29:00 PM »
Hello,

Maybe you can try Jorgen Sorensens Style-Time editor. It give you the opportunity to change every part to your wishes.

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/software.htm#sti

Regards <> Piet
Yamaha Tyros 4 - Yamaha KX 25 - Gem WSII module

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 11:59:12 PM »
Using the style reset works for this. Let it play two beats then hit button and in will go back to 4/4.

Offline Luluc

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 04:52:53 PM »
The reset feature is done for that but it becomes difficult to use it when, as most of times, you have - at the SAME time - to hit the reset button AND to play a new chord...Unless, there is some trick to know ?

When you have no chord change, it works well.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 04:55:08 PM by Luluc »
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 03:45:03 AM »
If you let the Chord Looper play the chords for you, it will reduce your workload.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline Mark

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 04:11:00 AM »
Another option is using half bar fill in feature… preprogram your fill-in in style creator. Itis exactly one bar long anyway

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 04:24:48 AM »
I have a couple of pieces of music I am playing which whilst predominantly 4/4 time do have some bars that switch to 2/4 time usualy only for a single bar - so I cant play the bars over 2 or 4 bars to even out the timing before it switches back to 4/4. At the moment I still play these 2/4 bars in 4/4 time by stretching the notes within the bar a bit longer to fit with the 4/4 time of the style so the next bar is played correctly and in the correct 4/4 time.

As my playing is improving I would now like to be able to get the timing of the actual score correct - therefore my question is, whilst keeping to the style, is there a simple way of changing the timing temporaliy to give a 2/4 time and then back to 4/4 so I can play the piece to the correct time as written in the score.

This may not be just Genos....

Thanks

David

Hi David,

As just mentioned by Mark, you could also use the "Half Bar Fill" feature:

In the Assignable display you can assign this function (Style category > Half Bar Fill In" to a pedal. While the pedal is pressed, the "Half Bar Fill In" function is turned on and changing sections of a Style at the first beat of the current section starts the next section from the middle with an automatic fill-in.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Gleston

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2023, 12:26:22 PM »
Wow !!

Many techniques for you.  Choose one!

Offline dh110953

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 12:29:55 AM »
Lots of good suggestions here. I am off to give these a try.

Many Thanks to all who have contributed….. :)
Now have a CVP 809 as my wife plays Piano but not Keyboard - I had to PX a Genos to buy it, Also have an SX700 - I did previously own a Tyros.

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 12:36:04 AM »
Lots of good suggestions here. I am off to give these a try.

Many Thanks to all who have contributed….. :)

You"re welcome, David! :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)