Author Topic: Can Firmware Updates Enhance/Add Voices.  (Read 1551 times)

Can Firmware Updates Enhance/Add Voices.
« on: January 28, 2023, 05:29:38 AM »
Hi There Again. This Topic is mainly about Firmware. I was wondering. i know the Genos v2.0 added more voices and styles. So What about the psr s and sx. Can Yamaha Improve the preset Samples and/or add new ones. I was wondering how Firmware works and just want some advise. Please and thank you. 8)

Offline BogdanH

Re: Can Firmware Updates Enhance/Add Voices.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 09:09:00 AM »
Yes, voices are defined inside firmware and so they can be replaced or added (if there's enough memory space) for PSR keyboards too.
But (before you ask) that won't happen. The only reason firmware updates exist is, to fix something that doesn't work as intended. The only reason for Genos exception was of commercial nature (Yamaha needed to make that move because of competition).

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 09:41:39 AM »
No, genos V2 voices were added as a free expansion pack loaded through yem as normal and taking up a xpansion memory space.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 10:06:04 AM »
Yes, voices are defined inside firmware and so they can be replaced or added (if there's enough memory space) for PSR keyboards too.
But (before you ask) that won't happen. The only reason firmware updates exist is, to fix something that doesn't work as intended. The only reason for Genos exception was of commercial nature (Yamaha needed to make that move because of competition).

Bogdan
Hi BogdanH I agree with your Answer. Like saud its up to Yamaha if they want to release a firmware update to enhance the preset voices. I did Submit an Idea to Yamaha mentioning that it would be nice if they did so. To Me It would make exising PSR S And SX owners very appricciative. 8)

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 11:06:57 AM »
No, genos V2 voices were added as a free expansion pack loaded through yem as normal and taking up a xpansion memory space.
I did't know that -thank you for clarifying.

... it would be nice if they did so...
I understand your enthusiasm, but it won't happen. If Yamaha would be interested on that, they could release some good (or missing) voices as free expansion pack -it would be easier for them than change firmware. But as you probably noticed, there's quite a stagnation on expansion packs.
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 10:36:39 PM »
I did't know that -thank you for clarifying.
I understand your enthusiasm, but it won't happen. If Yamaha would be interested on that, they could release some good (or missing) voices as free expansion pack -it would be easier for them than change firmware. But as you probably noticed, there's quite a stagnation on expansion packs.
I agree too.And one thing if yamaha were to enhance the sound quality of the exsting samples they might just do it for the next per sx models. they would do it in advance prior to manufacturing the new keyboards. Oh and also Is it higher polyphony that can make the styles sound better
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 10:54:09 PM by Keyboard Master »