Author Topic: Chord Tracker With PSR SX series  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Nova227

Chord Tracker With PSR SX series
« on: January 19, 2023, 11:52:19 PM »
Chord Tracker With PSR SX series

Looking for feedback on Chord Tracker App Functions. with  sx 700 and 900.

I have been using it for years to figure out guitar chords  then last  year I discovered the App could be used with some PSR models !!

I am not a keyboard player so I am looking for something to make backing tracks for guitar and improvising.

Does the integration with the keyboard work as well as stated  ?

Offline AllanM

Re: Chord Tracker With PSR SX series
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 10:54:36 AM »
I gave up with Chord Tracker app, I couldn't get it to sync via bluetooth with my SX900.  :( :( :(
PSR SX900, Korg Kross2 88

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 04:36:47 AM »
I gave up with Chord Tracker app, I couldn't get it to sync via bluetooth with my SX900.  :( :( :(

Hi Allan,

Have you tried connecting Chord Tracker app directly to SX900 via Bluetooth (BT)? Then it's clear why it didn't work: The integrated BT interface of the SX900 can only be used as an audio input (instead of the AUX IN jack), e.g. to play MP3s from the smartphone/tablet via the SX900 speakers.

To work with the Chord Tracker, however, you need a MIDI connection. If you want to go wireless, use a Bluetooth LE MIDI adapter on the SX900, like the Yamaha MD-BT01. Unfortunately, the firmware for this adapter has not been maintained by Yamaha for a long time. In the past, Yamaha even released a buggy firmware version that made the MD-BT01 unusable because it was automatically flashed with the UD-BT01 firmware. And Yamaha still doesn't offer a way to reinstall the correct firmware on the MD-BT01.

I therefore recommend using a BT LE MIDI adapter from CME (called "WIDI"), e.g. "WIDI Master" or "WIDI Jack").

Or you can use a USB cable connection (USB type AB cable, connected to the SX's USB to Host terminal). In order to connect the USB A plug of this cable to an Android smartphone/tablet, a so-called "OTG" adapter is required (USB A socket > USB C or Micro USB plug). With an iPhone/iPad, you use a so-called USB camera adapter instead (preferably one that has a USB A socket as well as a Lightning / USB C socket for simultaneous power supply of the iPhone/iPad.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline AllanM

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 07:51:22 AM »

Or you can use a USB cable connection (USB type AB cable, connected to the SX's USB to Host terminal). In order to connect the USB A plug of this cable to an Android smartphone/tablet, a so-called "OTG" adapter is required (USB A socket > USB C or Micro USB plug). With an iPhone/iPad, you use a so-called USB camera adapter instead (preferably one that has a USB A socket as well as a Lightning / USB C socket for simultaneous power supply of the iPhone/iPad.

Hi Chris, I just tried this method you suggested, (I have a spare To Host USB cable and USB C adaptor), but still no luck unfortunately.
I tried every permutation I could think of, restarting the PSR, rebooting my android phone, even reinstalling the app. Nothing worked.  :(

The following users thanked this post: Anil Sahin

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 08:17:21 AM »
Hi Chris, I just tried this method you suggested, (I have a spare To Host USB cable and USB C adaptor), but still no luck unfortunately.
I tried every permutation I could think of, restarting the PSR, rebooting my android phone, even reinstalling the app. Nothing worked.  :(

Hi Allan,

Please also check the MIDI settings on the SX900: Go to "Menu > MIDI" and make sure that the preset MIDI template "All Parts" is selected.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 08:33:05 AM »
You may have to explicitly confirm the "Transferring MIDI data" option after establishing the USB connection on the Android device. (Also check the current notifications to see whether a corresponding message is displayed there after establishing the USB connection.)

P.S.
Please also make sure that your Android device basically supports "OTG". With some devices, this must first be activated in the settings or activated in the so-called "developer options".

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 08:39:20 AM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: AllanM

Offline AllanM

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2023, 10:31:13 AM »
Bingo! The OTG setting on my phone sorted it out!
Well done, Chris, and many thanks! Something new to play with now!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2023, 02:10:39 PM »
Bingo! The OTG setting on my phone sorted it out!
Well done, Chris, and many thanks! Something new to play with now!  ;D ;D ;D

You're welcome, Allan!

I'm glad to could help you. :)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline AllanM

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 01:09:32 AM »
Getting back to the OP, I am thinking the resulting midi files from Chord Tracker would be ideal for backing tracks.
I just experimented with a fairly complex song and was quite surprised how good the resulting midi was! (Unable to attach the midi file unfortunately)

I used "I'm in the mood for love" by Rod Stewart
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKp4jGps3ek

I find Producer plays the midi file better from my pc, rather than Mixmaster.

The following users thanked this post: overover

Offline AllanM

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 01:14:20 AM »
Midi link for above...

https://app.box.com/s/xi9wk69d7bw0t1nxd1v3r7iuen60jbic

I used the CoolJazzBallad style.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 01:15:40 AM by AllanM »

The following users thanked this post: overover

Offline hossit

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2023, 07:04:15 PM »
trying to connect chord track with my sx 700, says it finds yamaha keyboard but fails to connect  any help thanks