Author Topic: Style  (Read 3263 times)

Offline dE.niz

Style
« on: January 19, 2023, 10:45:59 AM »
Hello
What is your method of creating a style from a certain song . I have an app on my ipad to slow down , speed up and transpose an mp3 . Great app. Lets me repeat and slow down parts of that mp3 so I can better hear the different instruments.
What is your method of creating a style and possibly a full song .
Thank you in advance .

Deniz
Reason 12 - Logic pro - midi keyboard controller Pcr 800 - Tyros 4 Black - Strat - Uke's .

Offline Gleston

Re: Style
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 03:03:47 PM »
I prefer to use MIDI files that I can find on the internet. They are easier to manipulate than mp3 files.

Than I use various app´s from Jososoft site to create my personal style.

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/

The following users thanked this post: dE.niz

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 03:33:19 PM »
Hello,

I create styles direct from scratch using Genos style creator... I have 3 tutorials, the first and second in English. All have English subtitles.
You may watch on my YouTube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQBeKyPmxs8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAB2ruTOBWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IZYaH0WSpE

I sell my styles at www.styles4k.com.

Regards from Brazil,
Pedro

The following users thanked this post: dE.niz, john-s

Offline dE.niz

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 06:38:45 PM »
It is not always possible to find a GOOD midi file . There are more bad midis than good ones. It is certainly not easy to use an mp3 .
To make a good style you need a lot of patience and time .
@ pedro
I've already seen the youtube videos.
They are very well made but I don't have the talent to make a style from scratch.

Greetings from Belgium
Deniz
Reason 12 - Logic pro - midi keyboard controller Pcr 800 - Tyros 4 Black - Strat - Uke's .

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 07:34:49 PM »
I don't make any of my song styles from scratch and have posted nearly 100 examples on YouTube for you to judged for yourself how well done they all are.

I used parts from other Yamaha onboard styles as well as older Yamaha styles that are no longer contained in the current models. I also use SX900 and Tyros 5 and Genos style parts. I have some converted Roland and Pro Styles that I also use parts from.

I simply use the keyboard's style creator and nothing else. I think I may have already post here at the forum the steps I use to create my styles.

What have you tried to do so far?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 07:36:15 PM by DrakeM »

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, dE.niz

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 08:54:55 PM »
Hi Deniz,
I see my keyboard as "my band" and that's why I make styles from scratch. Musicians in "my band" aren't the best ones, but they are unique -and that's all I want. Yes, making style from scratch can be time consuming (depends on song!), but it's very rewarding for me.
Does everyone need to make styles from scratch? Of course not. But I do think, that every owner of arranger keyboard should be familiar with process of style creation -by knowing that, we can adapt existing style to our liking.

And it IS very hard to find "good" MIDI files, because they usually never sound the way you wish. Actually that was the reason I started learning how to create style. The thing is, I realized, that I've spent too much time for searching them. And if I found something useful, I still needed to assemble and modify the style -in short, a lot of wasted time.
For popular rhythms (waltz, latin rhythms, country, etc) it really makes no sense to start from scratch. I mean, we already have plenty of them built in keyboard (or are available for download) and all we need to do is to modify them (so they better fit particular song).

To summarize: it depends on what kind of music you play and what you enjoy doing -at the end, it's a hobby  :)

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline dE.niz

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 10:34:02 AM »
@Drake
 Thanks again Drake for your beautiful youtube lessons and songs. You have a fan in Belgium.
A friend of mine commissioned me to create a style from an mp3 . This to learn to make a style . Not easy because I didn't know how to make a style.
After some research and youtube videos I'm on my way to making a reasonable style. But making a song style is still too difficult .
With " assembly " on the Tyros I had some problems because I did not understand the principle .
With a lot of courage and perseverance I finally got it .
I love a good guitar rhythm and this MUST sound good so I focused on that too.
And yes , I managed to make a few realistic guitar styles . So for country I already have a base .
@BogdanH
Do you use mp3's as an example to create a style?
Thank you for the response, very interesting what you write.

Deniz

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 12:08:41 PM »
hi Deniz,
Yes, I make a style by "studying" (listening many times) mp3. By doing that, I first try to isolate rhythm pattern (usually drum section & bass). That is, I try to imagine what and how I need to play in single rhythm pattern. In some songs that pattern (or even rhythm) can change in the middle of the song and that can make things quite complicated. Usually I can recognize quite soon if I have enough skill to continue or not.
After that I concentrate on rest of accompaniment: guitar inserts or strumming, background pad instruments and other inserts (i.e. harmonica, brass instruments, etc.). That is, I try to imagine how my MAIN A variation will look alike.
And once I have a "picture" in my head, I usually start creating a style either with drum or bass. But that also depends on music genre. For example, for "good old" Fats Domino songs, it can be easier to start with piano (because piano rhythm pattern is more dominant).  Once I manage to create base rhythm pattern (i.e. drum and bass), it's usually easy to add the rest.
Of course, it does happen that I need to adapt some instruments, because it makes no sense trying to make exact duplicate of original. However I do try to make it sound "like" original. Actually I don't wish to make exact a copy -because I don't wish to make karaoke. It should sound how "my band" plays the original -I hope that makes sense.
Anyway, it's important that I'm happy with my MAIN A variation before I continue with the rest -because all other variations, intros, etc. are based on MAIN A.

I'm not style creator expert and I'm still in process of learning... but the feeling when I play with "my band", is priceless.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2023, 07:10:50 PM »
I don't make any of my song styles from scratch and have posted nearly 100 examples on YouTube for you to judged for yourself how well done they all are.

I used parts from other Yamaha onboard styles as well as older Yamaha styles that are no longer contained in the current models. I also use SX900 and Tyros 5 and Genos style parts. I have some converted Roland and Pro Styles that I also use parts from.

I simply use the keyboard's style creator and nothing else. I think I may have already post here at the forum the steps I use to create my styles.

What have you tried to do so far?

Dear Drake, I don't play Country&Western, but I just LOVE the way you play and appreciate very much yours styles editing and recording techniques.

Bravo!!!!!

Ciao

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.