Author Topic: T4 Vocal harmony default  (Read 1305 times)

Butterflyman

T4 Vocal harmony default
« on: February 14, 2023, 05:54:48 AM »
Hi all,,, I'm new to this Forum but not to my Tyros 4 which I've " loved" for 5 years... BUT NOW... For some strange reason the Vocal Harmony is constantly defaulting to VOCODER XG....
Yes I can override and select (say) a std trio harmony and all is OK whilst I perform that song but then changing to the next song, be it in USER, HID, or USB back appears VOCODERXG....

It's driving me crazy having to re set the Harmony type for each song....  I could try resetting the Keyboard to "Factory Default" but that scares me should I loose any of the backings I've created on this wonderful machine...

Help please....  I don't want to fall out of love with T4

Online overover

Re: T4 Vocal harmony default
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 09:01:45 AM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Butterflyman!

The Vocal Harmony type can be set via MIDI files (.mid), which contain corresponding Vocal Harmony SysEx commands. "Vocoder XG" is often used here.

Please check whether a MIDI file has been memorized in the Registrations used, which then changes the Vocal Harmony type.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 09:03:11 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Butterflyman

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 09:06:03 AM »
Thanks Chris but NO... I've checked all 8 registration memory's and none show Vocoder XG as the selected vocal harmony... Also... to best of my memory there has been no interaction with any Midi device..
All the songs in the USER list are my own creations and some, where appropriate, would have had a harmony type assigned and would have been recalled when that song was selected...  Now that same song has VocoderXG called up and I must manually change the type, if I want to use harmony...

In the Audio (R/H side) I do have a few imported songs, all MP3, but none of these contained Harmony...

I guess I might have to live with doing a manual VH selection for each song I perform

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 12:04:18 PM »
I have been following this issue and hoped someone had the answer for you. I had this issue (or very similar) years ago. I use the VH2 all the time with my PSR-S950 keyboard.

All I can remember is the issue was caused by using a Registration someone shared at this forum which I download and used on my keyboard. The Registration was from a Newer model Yamaha keyboard that caused the issue.

I fixed the issue as I recall by using the "Registration Memory Content" screen and that is all I can tell you. Hopefully someone that uses Registrations on a regular basis can help you.

But since then I don't use anybody's registrations with keyboard.

Drake

The following users thanked this post: dE.niz

Butterflyman

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 05:31:23 AM »
Thanks Drake... I've checked the R M content an all is in order and this "Blasted"  VocoderXG is not in any of the 8 R M... However... that action has given me a partial solution, thus, 

I have set the two Harmony types I use into R M 1 and 2 so when I now select a song to perform I simply press 1 or 2 in the R M and that overrides the VocoderXG..

Just another button the press but I can live with that

Thank's again

Online overover

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 06:29:45 AM »
Thanks Drake... I've checked the R M content an all is in order and this "Blasted"  VocoderXG is not in any of the 8 R M... However... that action has given me a partial solution, thus, 

I have set the two Harmony types I use into R M 1 and 2 so when I now select a song to perform I simply press 1 or 2 in the R M and that overrides the VocoderXG..

Just another button the press but I can live with that

Thank's again

Hi Butterflyman,

Have you really checked whether your Registrations do not load a MIDI file (= MIDI song) that contains the "wrong" VH settings? (Please look in the Main display next to button "A".)

The behavior you describe clearly suggests this: Pressing Reg button #1 loads such a MIDI file (which sets "Vocoder XG"). If you press another Reg button in which the same MIDI file is linked (or if Reg button #1 is pressed a SECOND time), the VH settings memorized in the relevant REG now will be set (because an already loaded MIDI file will NOT be loaded again).

Please note in this context: If you edit and resave MIDI song files in Song Creator, the checkbox "VH/MIC" must NOT be ticked in "Song Creator > Channel > Setup" before pressing "Execute", otherwise the current VH settings are saved to the MIDI file. (Normally only the 7 checkboxes "Voice" to "EQ" (at the top next to "SONG") should be ticked.) See also the Tyros4 Reference Manual, pages 70 and 72.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)