Author Topic: rotary effect  (Read 2537 times)

Offline chuckeys123

rotary effect
« on: January 17, 2023, 01:59:50 PM »
Was wondering if the rotary speaker effect on SA organs such as the progressive rock can be changed like those built on the adjustable drawbars. The fast speed is a bit to thick, and there is no gradual speeding up from slow to fast, and vice/versa

Offline DerekA

Re: rotary effect
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 02:20:43 PM »
No, on these voices the rotary effect is built into the voice itself. It's either on or off. Some people think this is a bug, but it's not - it's just the way these voices are designed. They are not intended to be 'realistic' in the way they switch speed, but are a simplified version. On models with limited number of DSP, this lets you use the DSP for something else like an overdrive.

On the drawbar voices, it uses a configurable DSP where you can set the speed.

Offline Rcjwhiting

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 03:34:18 PM »
For the drawbar organs, you can insert a Leslie sim as a modulation effect. Someone on this board (forgive my not being able to find the thread to give credit where due) suggested going to the legacy effects and scrolling all the way down to Rotary speaker #5 and using that. It not only has a really authentic speed up/slow down for the rotary effect, but fattens up considerably whatever organ you choose.

Hope this helps,
Rich

Online overover

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 04:19:48 PM »
For the drawbar organs, you can insert a Leslie sim as a modulation effect. Someone on this board (forgive my not being able to find the thread to give credit where due) suggested going to the legacy effects and scrolling all the way down to Rotary speaker #5 and using that. It not only has a really authentic speed up/slow down for the rotary effect, but fattens up considerably whatever organ you choose.

Hope this helps,
Rich

Thanks for your tip, Rich!

However, in principle this only applies to Voices based on Organ Flutes.

Of course, you could also try to add a Rotary Speaker effect via an insert effect (DSP) to organ voices that are based on samples (which is the topic of this thread). But if a Rotary Effect is already contained in the multisample of the organ voice in question, it will probably not sound authentic.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 04:17:31 PM »
Dear Rich,

I am the one suggesting Legacy Rotary 5, and must say that even now (third year of deep investigating Genos) I could not find a better alternative.

I agree with Chris statement: besides organ flutes (drawbars) there are CLEAN samples (flat, without Leslie) of organ sounds (both in basic presets and Legacy, and also in GM&XG hidden voices) where you can add the rotary effect of your choice (I stay with Legacy Rotary 5).

But.... I am still in the opinion that such a powerful arranger should have better Leslie effects.

Ciao

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline Rcjwhiting

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 05:17:43 PM »
Many thanks Angelo! Your advice is a game changer, taking the organs from mediocre to among the best clonewheels I’ve heard. I agree that the Legacy Rotary 5 is the most authentic for the drawbar organs. I’ve installed it on almost every organ sound I’m using. The entire bank of Legacy effects adds a huge, incredible arsenal of ways to shape sounds of all kinds!

Regarding the fast/slow transition on non-drawbar voices, I guess the programmers at Yamaha were assuming that people using these would not be using both speeds in live situations? But this doesn’t make sense when one of the first organ presets is supposed to be for Whiter Shade of Pale, for which the transition from slow to fast rotation leading into the chorus is integral to the performance authenticity.

Cheers,
Rich

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 04:29:07 PM »
Remember that some of these voices come from the Time Before Genos where there were limited DSP to go round. So building the rotary effect into the base sample was a good idea, particularly if the voice was being used in a style.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 07:28:44 PM »
Yamaha's engineers make nutso (crazy) decisions when it comes to rotary organs. I don't know if it's cultural as to their frame of reference or what. A lot of us grew up with blues B-3 or jazz organ trios (e.g., Brother Jack McDuff, Jimmy McGriff, etc.) and we know the meaning of "grease".  :D Arggggh.

Anyway, Yamaha elevated old organ voices (e.g., WhiterBarsSlow and WhiterBarsFast) to Super Articulation -- probably as a cheap marketing gimmick. The joystick switches between two different sets of waveforms. Big freaking deal! And it drives real players crazy...

If you want to roll your own "Whiter Shades of Pale" voice using Organ Flutes, then browse over to the Legacy voices and select ShadyBars. This old chestnut emulates Whiter and uses DSP for rotary. It's a good starting point.

Hope this helps -- pj

P.S. Here's an old article of mine which is still relevant: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/genospsr-organ-registrations/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 07:30:11 PM by pjd »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 07:10:04 PM »
Paul, did you ever get the live organ pack when it was available? Yes, they sampled Leslie at fast and slow rotary speeds, but their registration cross faded between the 2. It actually worked surprisingly well.

If you didn't, just try this: put right 1 as a slow rotary, right 2 as a fast rotary (of the same organ if possible; eg legacy AllBarsOutFast/Slow), then edit the voices so that the Joystick modulation + of one is 0 and the other is 127 to create a crossfade (annoying as heck with a joystick, works MUCH better with a mod wheel. Which is why I'd dream of a control on an arranger with both joystick, but also a redundant mod wheel for things like volume swells, etc)

You can hear how it would work. Still loses the gradual speeding up/slowing down on the bare voice, but in a mix, with a mod wheel? Pretty good.

Mark