Author Topic: Wav files question?  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Disposable

Wav files question?
« on: January 16, 2023, 02:47:54 PM »
What are the advantages of using Wav files (if any?) on the Tyros 2? :-\
Tyros 2, Nektar Impact LX25+, Orion Platinum, Samplitude Music Studio, Various VST instruments, Reaper, Goldwave and good old XG Works

I play the music, but the Cat plays the strings.

Offline EileenL

Re: Wav files question?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 03:22:01 PM »
They will give you voices you don't have on your keyboard.

Offline Disposable

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 04:02:44 PM »
So you use them like voice files and play them (how) on the keyboard?
Tyros 2, Nektar Impact LX25+, Orion Platinum, Samplitude Music Studio, Various VST instruments, Reaper, Goldwave and good old XG Works

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 04:03:41 PM »
One example is that if you have a wav file of a vocal performance, you can play along with it. It's the only way I'm ever going to get to accompany Adele.
Genos

Offline Disposable

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 04:27:58 PM »
The wav files I have are short loops/drum sounds/ instrument stabs/Synth etc: In all about 10,000 or more 16 bit and 8 bit from the year 2000.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 05:14:13 PM »
What are the advantages of using Wav files (if any?) on the Tyros 2? :-\

Hi Disposable,

On the one hand you can use .wav files (but no MP3s on the Tyros2 with the Hard Disk Recorder/Player (HDR), e.g. as backing tracks. However, the .wav files cannot be played directly, as is possible with newer models, but must first imported into the HDR using the Wave Import function.

If you have instrument, effect or drum loop samples in .wav format, you can use them to create your own Custom Voices. To do this, you must first import the .wav samples into the Voice Creator on the T2 and map them to the keys you want them to be playable later. Then you can use it to create a new Custom Voice, edit it either directly on the T2 or in the T2 Voice Editor program on the (Windows) PC and finally save it on the T2 as a .TVN/.TVD file. As discussed earlier, you can then use these files in the Custom Voice Bank, i.e. use them in the same way as Preset Voices.

Note that for a realistic sounding voice you usually need to use multiple samples. If you were to map only one sample (with a Custom Normal Voice) over many/all keys, you would already have the famous "Mickey Mouse" effect a few keys above and below the original pitch. With Custom Drum Voices (which you can also use to embed drum loops in .wav format, for example), you put each drum loop sample (or other effect sample) or each drum instrument sample on a separate key anyway.

Note that .wav files/samples used with the T2 should be in "44.1 kHz sampling frequency / 16-bit resolution / stereo" format. Also note that there is no synchronization between audio and MIDI on the T2. With drum loops in Custom Voices, it is therefore better if they are triggered again and again at relatively short intervals by the corresponding MIDI notes, instead of triggering a loop only once and then letting it run "alone" the whole time.

Further important information can be found in the Tyros2 manual under "Custom Voices" or, for what was discussed at the beginning, under "Hard Disk Recording / HDR".

By the way, since you, if I remember correctly, work with a DAW anyway, I would prefer to use the drum loops you mentioned directly in the DAW instead of creating T2 Custom Drum Voices with it in a laborious way.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 05:30:03 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Disposable

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023, 07:52:30 PM »
Chris:  As usual excellent information, and yes I do use a DAW (Orion Platinum and sometimes Samplitude music Studio). Thank you Eileen for starting the ball rolling with this topic and DerekA for your help! :)

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023, 08:04:32 PM »
Chris:  As usual excellent information, ...

You're welcome, Disposable! :)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)