Author Topic: Preset drum kits on Clavinova, (and I guess Genos too.)  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Ray

Preset drum kits on Clavinova, (and I guess Genos too.)
« on: January 27, 2023, 12:56:53 AM »
Is there a way to alter the drum sounds before recording a song. I realise there are several pages of drum kits,and when in I’m in Mixer, then Style, then generally Rhythm 2  sometimes I would like a more distinct beat,  perhaps brushes whatever, but to me, only the pan volume seems affect the Rhythm 1 and 2 drums. Is there another control or adjustment one can use. Thankyou.

Offline overover

Re: Preset drum kits on Clavinova, (and I guess Genos too.)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 03:28:40 AM »
Hi Ray,

For Genos, PSR-SX models and PSR-S970/770/975/775 there is the "Drum Setup" function:

The Rhythm parts of a preset Style consist of a preset Drum Kit, and each drum sound is assigned to a separate note. You may want to change the sound and the note assignments, or make more detailed settings such as volume balance, effect, etc. By using the Drum Setup function of the Style Creator, you can edit the Rhythm part of a style and save it as to original style.

Unfortunately, CVP models do NOT have such a Drum Setup function. However, you could edit styles in a suitable computer program, e.g. in the PC (Windows) program "MixMaster". If you record songs on the CVP as a MIDI file, you can edit them later on the computer (e.g. also in "MixMaster" or in a DAW like Cubase). However, this requires certain expertise in MIDI file editing.

With Genos and Tyros5 it is possible to edit preset Drum Kits in the Expansion Manager (YEM) and then use the edited drum kit in Styles or MIDI files. Among other things, you can exchange individual Drum Instruments of a specific preset Drum Kit ( also against Drum Instruments of another Drum Kit. Unfortunately, this is NOT possible with CVP models or with PSR-S/SX models.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Ray

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 06:07:34 AM »
Hi Chris, Thankyou for your reply. I won’t go into the procedure you told me about, I’m not computer minded, and the issue re drums is not a real problem but I thought to run it by the forum. Moving around the preset drums in the keyboard, plus using Legacy etc, one can find the different sounding kits. Thanks again, Ray.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 11:19:06 PM »
Ray, are you talking about revoicing the style? Like when the style is playing, and you go to the Style page of Mixer, you are swapping out the drums for other drums (most of the changes are in RHY2, as usually RHY1 is hi hats/latin percussion). But if you change different drum kits as the style is playing you can usually hear a *huge* difference...?

Mark

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 01:30:51 AM »
Hi Mark, I’m not trying to revolve, just add a small change to drums, but have taken on board your reply. Thankyou. Ray,