Author Topic: S.Art Piano Voices  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Photon

S.Art Piano Voices
« on: January 15, 2023, 10:58:50 AM »
I couldn't understand the difference between S.Art piano voices and regular piano voices. Please explain how to use this feature for piano voices. I am a beginner. Thanks.

Offline DerekA

Re: S.Art Piano Voices
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 05:15:59 PM »
To be quite honest, this is one of those voices where I don't think anyone really knows what the SArt brings to the party.

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 05:51:11 PM »
If you select the voice and hit info (little circle with an i in the middle) it will describe the s. Art feature and how to use it. I am familiar with S Art on many instruments, although I seldom use it, but I can’t imagine what SArt can add to a piano voice, and I don’t have S Art on any of my piano voices so can’t look for you.
If you are a beginner as you state, you have a long way to go before you want to be worrying too much about the subtle voice features which S Art might add. Even a very skilled player, might not use them much in live playing. Maybe if you are trying to squeeze every bit of authenticity into a super sophisticated recording, but otherwise ……….
Mike

Online p$manK32

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 10:37:23 PM »
To be quite honest, this is one of those voices where I don't think anyone really knows what the SArt brings to the party.

Yeah, it just means the piano sound is better than the previous models :)
SX900, MODX7+

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 06:11:56 PM »
I think Yamaha has stretched the meaning of "S.Art" a little bit in order to make a promotional (marketing) point.

The "S.Art" piano voice is one example. If I remember right, the S.Art feature is the use of release samples, i.e., a quiet sound made after a key is released. This would be a subtle addition.

Another possible stretch are the S.Art organ voices which use the joystick (JS) to switch between slow rotary (samples/sound) and fast rotary (samples/sound). The organ JS voices get on some people's nerves because there isn't a ramp up or down in speed. Organ voices using the rotary DSP effect ramp up and down.

Calling something "S.Art" draws attention and implies something special. It also moves the voice to the top of the list in its category.

All the best -- pj

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023, 06:57:21 PM »
I quite agree with pjd (above)...
As far I know, S.Art means "super articulation".. articulating, as the way musician plays the instrument -musicians technique so to speak. So for example, saxophone sounds more "real" with added articulation (especially for jazz music). But this is not only true for bras and wind instruments. For example, guitar player can also articulate guitar sound (i.e. by bending string at changing note).
And now I wonder.. what kind of articulation is possible at playing acoustic piano? -none comes to my mind.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube