Author Topic: Good Electric Piano sound?  (Read 2998 times)

Offline NASAMike

Good Electric Piano sound?
« on: January 10, 2023, 08:35:22 PM »
Not sure why but all the electric piano sounds on the PSR's sound like toys. 

Anybody figure out how to get a rich electric piano sound like Styx or Genesis used?

Thx,
NASAMike

Offline mikf

Re: Good Electric Piano sound?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 09:05:05 PM »
Can’t say I find that, I find the sounds are pretty good. The guys you mention are good players, that might be more of a difference than the voice.
Mike

Offline NASAMike

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 09:43:45 PM »
Could take that as insult but I won't.  As an example listen to Genesis Heathaze electric piano opening and note the richness especially at the lower frequencies compared to a PSR electric piano.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6L4a_Rj190

Thx,
NASAMike

Offline NASAMike

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 09:47:08 PM »
Styx Babe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9As6n1R-pM
Queen - Best Friend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSjBvSBYTCo

They are much richer sounds than the PSR.  Looking to recreate those Classic sounds or find a sound package that would do it.
Thx,
NASAMike

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 01:21:19 AM »
Styx Babe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9As6n1R-pM
Queen - Best Friend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSjBvSBYTCo

They are much richer sounds than the PSR.  Looking to recreate those Classic sounds or find a sound package that would do it.
Thx,
NASAMike

I don’t like the electric piano voices on Yamaha Keyboards specially on the S series. The VST instruments that recreate the sound of famous electric piano are usually expensive but I found a free alternative and it is very good. It is called Numa Player https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/numaplayer/ and it is available for Mac, Windows and iOS.

The following users thanked this post: wersianer, Roshure, johan

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 10:12:32 AM »
Before I continue, I need to say that I don't have an opinion about quality of el.pianos sounds on PSR -simply because I didn't used and "studied" them much.

When we try to replicate sound of electronic instruments of famous songs, we should keep in mind, that these artists are using custom voices (many times created just for particular song). And second, song is (heavily) post-processed after recording.
El.piano isn't acoustic instrument: it's sound is artificial and so we can't really say how it should sound. What I'm saying is, el.piano on PSR doesn't necessary sounds "bad" -it just sounds different. On arranger keyboard, we can customize el.piano voice to certain degree only and that's the reason why custom voices (actual sound samples) exist.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not "defending" PSR. We should just accept the fact that, no matter what's the name of certain built-in voice, all these voices are generic: sounds like a Fender guitar or sounds like Hammond organ, etc.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 10:56:43 AM »
I would expect that the bands the OP mentions have huge expertise around the band and studio on customizing EP sounds and the possibilities for electric piano sounds are almost endless. It can take some effort to exactly mimic specific sounds on a studio recording and since instruments are inherently different it can be sometimes impossible to be exact on a different instrument. But it seems a bit harsh to say the Yamaha EPs are like toys. Of course, some voices can sound a bit thin if played as a single note rh melody, over a style. But played across the full keyboard I find some of the Yamaha pre-sets to be very rich and warm, even without customizing.
Mike

Offline TiasDad

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 11:26:38 AM »
Bear with me while I use autumn as an example ..
Everyone loves the colors of autumn, the golds, oranges & browns. Created from the yellows and reds of the color palette.

Now back to music, if Yamaha used pre-mixed samples in the psr series, then you would not be able to strip them back to their basic components and would therefore lose the reds and yellows, and so, also the greens and purples which also use these components. The result would be a very limited sound palette to play with and no building blocks to make new sounds through mixing..

The other thing to look at is the cost. Compare the price of a Nord Stage to a Psr, we get a great deal for what we pay. In Yamaha terms, we would need a Montage or similar keyboard for the ability to edit the voices to any decent degree but would then lose the 'arranger' side of things.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 11:28:14 AM by TiasDad »

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 05:41:45 PM »
I agree with Mike, spend some time and do the work with the effects to change that electric piano to the sound you wish to hear. It's not really difficult to accomplish, however, it does take a bit of time and effort.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 10:25:37 PM »
I think that there are things that cannot be solved with the DSP effects or equalizing the sound.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 10:46:48 AM »
I think that there are things that cannot be solved with the DSP effects or equalizing the sound.
True! If that would be possible, then we could create Stradivari voice out of any crappy violin sound sample -which obviously can't be done. And that's why having high quality (realistic) built-in sound samples is important. Actually that's what defines the quality of keyboard as an instrument. By using various voice settings and effects, we can only change the "shape" of the voice, not the "content" of the voice. To simplify: someone can try to sing like Elvis Presley, but we will know at once it's not him.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline ton37

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2023, 11:09:49 AM »
Partical agree, but Yamaha thinx he can ;) . The newest C,avinova models have more 'DSP - power' . Therefore one cannot ever made  better sounding piano-sound voices in a PSR ( or evenin a Genos). So accept the sound of a PSR as it is, or buy you a Clavinova . A little tweaking on a PSR helps a little, but will never be the sound of a Clavinova, as it is technical impossible😏
My best regards,
Ton

Offline mikf

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2023, 03:05:00 PM »
Most pianists will tell you that once you get a ‘decent’ voice a better feeling keyboard becomes more important than an improved voice. I have a Clavinova, and the voice difference is not actually that much over Genos or PSR. We proved that on this forum a few years ago with a set of blind tests, some of you may remember this. But the CVP is much much better to play as a piano because it has a great feel.
And even the very best electric pianos seldom come close to the sound and resonance of a great accoustic.
People using arrangers generally use the piano voice as a single note RH lead voice. I believe that’s why they  think it sounds thin. Good players sound ok when using the arranger as a full keyboard piano because they play it differently. I’m not arguing that the arrangers pianos are great, just that they are not as bad as many say.
Mike

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 04:45:00 PM »
Bogdon, there are days that I sound like Elvis - just not as handsome, though my wife says I looked a lot like James Dean when we first got married. :)

I created a piano voice several years ago, one that has been downloaded thousands of times. I created it because the grand piano voice in my Yamaha keyboard was in stereo and sounded just awful when I used a mono PA system for my performances. I made it from the GM grand piano voice, then went to work with some effects and came up with that voice, and several others later on. It can be done, but it takes some time and effort to do so. If you someone does not wish to invest the time and effort, then they are stuck with what they have.

Cheers,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline ton37

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2023, 04:49:58 PM »
I believe you @Mikf, but it's all about the 'how much difference' definition. And that depends on the (personal) taste or hearing of the listener and what he/she wants to hear. Recently, Peter Baartmans demonstrated the latest Clavinova and the Genos side by side. Both have the same technical 'motor'. Only for the Clavinova there are many more 'DSPs' built in specifically for a nicer and fuller piano sound (eg 'Bosendorfer'). Including the body and speakers, it produces a nicer/fuller piano sound. Logical, otherwise the Clavinova has no advantage over an arranger (Genos) and would only the 88 keys make a difference? That's what Peter Baartmans told us and let us hear, and I believe him (and my ears) too ;-)).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 06:04:13 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline mikf

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2023, 09:41:04 PM »
For me it’s not the 88 keys or DSPs that give the CVP the edge as a piano Ton, it’s the fully weighted quality keyboard.
Mike
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 09:53:08 PM by mikf »

Offline ton37

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2023, 08:20:43 AM »
Ok @mikf, having good keys is another dimension: but the subject was  'a better piano SOUND'  on a PSR...  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline wersianer

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2023, 08:47:15 AM »

I don’t like the electric piano voices on Yamaha Keyboards specially on the S series. The VST instruments that recreate the sound of famous electric piano are usually expensive but I found a free alternative and it is very good. It is called Numa Player https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/numaplayer/ and it is available for Mac, Windows and iOS.

Hello Rodrigo,

thank you for your hint. Unfortunately, the download of the VST3 on the website does not work.
Do you happen to have a .dll?

The following users thanked this post: rodrigo.b

Offline overover

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2023, 09:11:06 AM »

... Unfortunately, the download of the VST3 on the website does not work. ...

Hi wersianer,

The download buttons for the Windows and Mac versions of Numa Player don't work for me either when clicked normally. Please try right-clicking > "Save target / link as..." (depending on the browser used). This works in my case (Firefox browser).

P.S.
I found that after installing the Windows version of Numa Player, the "Numa Player.vst3" file is located in the folder "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3", and the Numa Player can be used e.g. in Cubase as a VST instrument.

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 09:51:36 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Offline DerekA

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2023, 10:47:51 AM »
Recently, Peter Baartmans demonstrated the latest Clavinova and the Genos side by side. Both have the same technical 'motor'. Only for the Clavinova there are many more 'DSPs' built in specifically for a nicer and fuller piano sound (eg 'Bosendorfer'). Including the body and speakers, it produces a nicer/fuller piano sound. Logical, otherwise the Clavinova has no advantage over an arranger (Genos) and would only the 88 keys make a difference? That's what Peter Baartmans told us and let us hear, and I believe him (and my ears) too ;-)).

I'd like to see that - do you have a link to it anywhere?

Edit - I think it's this one, it's about an hour long so I'll watch it later https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y1X8nApbNw
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 10:54:00 AM by DerekA »
Genos

Offline wersianer

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2023, 01:02:23 PM »
Hi wersianer,

The download buttons for the Windows and Mac versions of Numa Player don't work for me either when clicked normally. Please try right-clicking > "Save target / link as..." (depending on the browser used). This works in my case (Firefox browser).

P.S.
I found that after installing the Windows version of Numa Player, the "Numa Player.vst3" file is located in the folder "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3", and the Numa Player can be used e.g. in Cubase as a VST instrument.

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

despite repeated installation, the folder you mentioned does not contain the VST3 you are looking for. I can not understand it, but maybe you would be so kind and send me the file.

Offline overover

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2023, 02:44:14 PM »

Hi Chris,

despite repeated installation, the folder you mentioned does not contain the VST3 you are looking for. I can not understand it, but maybe you would be so kind and send me the file.

Hi Wersianer,

You probably have a German Windows version. There the mentioned folder is not called "Program Files" but "Programme". So you should find the mentioned .vst3 file in the following path:
>>> C:\Programme\Common Files\VST3"

By the way, in Cubase 12 the Numa Player is automatically shown in the VST Instruments once the stand alone version of the Numa Player has been installed.

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 02:46:10 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline ton37

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2023, 03:35:32 PM »
I'd like to see that - do you have a link to it anywhere?

Edit - I think it's this one, it's about an hour long so I'll watch it later https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y1X8nApbNw
Hi @DerekA, i donot have a link, as I heart him live. So I could talk to him for some info. He performs about 200 demos a year. The one you refer too is not the one I visited, but the content is almost the same. ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline wersianer

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2023, 04:01:58 PM »
Chris, ever since I've known you, you've amazed me every day how much one person can know.
THANKS! As always, following your advice, it worked.

Offline overover

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2023, 05:27:02 PM »
Chris, ever since I've known you, you've amazed me every day how much one person can know.
THANKS! As always, following your advice, it worked.

Thanks for the kind words! :)

I'm glad to could help you.

All the best,
Chris