Author Topic: Retaining tempos across registration bank  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Rcjwhiting

Retaining tempos across registration bank
« on: January 08, 2023, 07:32:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

I’ve set up a registration bank for Jazz so I can access multiple solo and comping instruments in the right hand while maintaining a left hand bass. I’ve stored 3 right hand instruments on each of 4 registration for a total of 12 instruments. I want to be able to speed up or slow down the drums (e.g. Instrumental Jazz) for different songs. The registration memory only remembers the tempo of when I first set it up (165 for a moderate swing). I’d like to be able to keep all the instruments and style the same, but be able to switch the tempo and have the individual registrations stay with whatever new tempo I choose on the fly (e.g. 140 or 120) for different songs without saving/storing separate registration banks for each tempo

I’ve unchecked the boxes for tempo in the box that comes up for storing each individual registration and on the Registration Freeze in the Menu section.

I’m stumped - is there any way to get what I want using this method of storing instruments?

Thanks, Rich

Offline Rcjwhiting

Re: Retaining tempos across registration bank
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 08:28:52 PM »
I believe I have this figured out. It’s as simple as making sure the tempo is checked on registration freeze in the Menu section and pressing the Freeze button on the front panel when the appropriate registration bank is selected.

If I have this wrong or there is a simpler method to swap tempos on the fly across individual registrations in a registration bank, please advise.

Thanks

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 11:45:34 AM »
Rich,

I would just make a seperate registration for all the different tempos you want. That is how I do it. You can put the tempo right in the registration name to make it easier. I have a registration for every song I play. When I choose a registration it also opens the corresponding sheet music in Songbook+. It saves time and a lot of fumbling around.

Rick D.

Offline Rcjwhiting

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 04:01:16 PM »
Thanks Rick. Separate registrations for specific songs (along with their tempos) will work for most applications and I’ve set up a bunch of those. I gig a lot as a solo performer, where I will want to have quick access to perhaps 10 - 12 instruments, horn sections etc. and certain styles (e.g. swing or Latin) where the accompaniment style and instruments desired remain similar, but the tempo varies.

For example, Fly Me To The Moon, Route 66 and Take the A Train all use some variation of swing but have different tempos. If I’m doing a solo jazz set this allows me the freedom to simply change the tempo and I’m all set to start an new song and have the flexibility to solo on any instrument I feel like playing. I’ve done something similar for Latin Jazz, where the instruments are different (e.g. Nylon guitar vs. electric, Rhodes vs. Grand piano) and a good Bossa Nova style will work for lots of tunes with different tempos.

That said, I am complicating my life by having to know what the numerical tempo is for every song is so I’m not fiddling around on stage before getting into a song.

I’m just thrilled with the capabilities of this instrument! Only just starting to scratch the surface!

Thanks again,
Rich

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 10:31:24 PM »
Rich,

I don't gig, but a lot of folks do in here, hopefully you will get a solution you want, but I still would do it all with registrations, they are powerful if used to the max!

Rick D.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2023, 09:04:15 AM »

I’d like to be able to keep all the instruments and style the same, but be able to switch the tempo and have the individual registrations stay with whatever new tempo I choose on the fly (e.g. 140 or 120) for different songs without saving/storing separate registration banks for each tempo

I’ve unchecked the boxes for tempo in the box that comes up for storing each individual registration and on the Registration Freeze in the Menu section.

I’m stumped - is there any way to get what I want using this method of storing instruments?

Rich,unless I misunderstand what you are trying to do, if you have genuinely memorised and then saved your instrument regs without ticking the tempo boxes then you will be able to use them and they will not interfere with the tempo (Freeze is not required).
You say you removed the tempo tick from the regs, but did you also actively "re-memorise" and then "re-save" each before trying them out?
If in doubt suggest you re-memorise with no tempo tick (and no style tick if you don't want a style change) then re-save and test them again.  :)

John
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 09:12:18 AM by jwyvern »