Author Topic: How to access user hard drive styles on a Tyros 2?  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Disposable

How to access user hard drive styles on a Tyros 2?
« on: January 05, 2023, 12:22:10 AM »
OK! So I am new to this keyboard, but I bought a style pack from this site with over 8000 SFF1 styles, I unzipped them and connected the Tyros to my computer, the user hard drive is empty apart from several empty folders (more about that later).
I loaded the unzipped style package onto the hard drive with no issues, then disconnected the computer by following the manuals instructions, then I shut the Tyros 2 down.

Later I decided to look at my new styles, but I soon realized that it was not as simple as pressing the "A" button on the display and navigating to the HD tab? When I did this there was nothing on that display tab, it is showing nothing, So I am obviously missing something?

Anyone willing to help a lost soul to regain some confidence? :-\
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 12:26:46 AM by Disposable »
Tyros 2, Nektar Impact LX25+, Orion Platinum, Samplitude Music Studio, Various VST instruments, Reaper, Goldwave and good old XG Works

I play the music, but the Cat plays the strings.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: How to access user hard drive styles on a Tyros 2?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 12:57:45 AM »
OK! So I am new to this keyboard, but I bought a style pack from this site with over 8000 SFF1 styles, I unzipped them and connected the Tyros to my computer, the user hard drive is empty apart from several empty folders (more about that later).
I loaded the unzipped style package onto the hard drive with no issues, then disconnected the computer by following the manuals instructions, then I shut the Tyros 2 down.

Later I decided to look at my new styles, but I soon realized that it was not as simple as pressing the "A" button on the display and navigating to the HD tab? When I did this there was nothing on that display tab, it is showing nothing, So I am obviously missing something?

Anyone willing to help a lost soul to regain some confidence? :-\

The “A” button is for songs. You need to press the styles (“D”) button.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: Disposable

Offline Disposable

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 09:10:10 AM »
Thank you for responding! Pressing the "D" button brings up a screen saying I need an Internet connection, and the information for doing this is very obscure? w Anyway, why would I need this to access my user hard drive? And I still get nothing regarding styles?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 09:29:18 AM by Disposable »
Tyros 2, Nektar Impact LX25+, Orion Platinum, Samplitude Music Studio, Various VST instruments, Reaper, Goldwave and good old XG Works

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 09:45:00 AM »
Hi Disposable,

On Tyros2, press the [C] button (= the button next to the currently loaded Style) or press any Style Category button (e.g. [POP & ROCK]) to open the Style Selection display. Then use TAB buttons to go to the HD tab.

Note: Tyros2 supports a maximum of 500 files and/or subfolders per folder (each subfolder is counted as 1 file). Please make sure that the maximum number of 500 files/subfolders per folder is not exceeded. Otherwise, the contents of the folder cannot be displayed on the Tyros2.

It is also important to know that every File Selection display on Yamaha keyboards is FILTERED, i.e. only Style files are shown in the Style Selection display, only MIDI files in the Song Selection display, etc.

By the way, I would NOT copy that amount of (8000) styles to the Tyros2's internal hard drive. I would just copy them to a USB stick to view the styles first. You can load the styles directly from the USB stick as well as from the internal hard drive.

Incidentally, the internal User drive of the Tyros2 is very small (only about 3.2 MB (megabytes!)). Therefore I would only use this memory area as a "workbench" (e.g. while editing individual styles or MIDI files) or for very small files such as (often required) Registration Bank files, User Voice files or Multi Pad Bank files.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 10:45:29 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Disposable

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 11:24:13 AM »
Just shows how little I know, I loaded the style files to the 80 gig hard drive that I installed not the user area, sorry for the mixup. Still no sign of the style files I loaded on the 80 gig optional drive?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 12:04:34 PM by Disposable »

Offline Disposable

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 12:12:49 PM »
Checked the folder setup, 1 main folder, 44 sub folders, none of the sub folders have more than 200 files, most only about + or - 50. the parent (main)  folder is named "09 styles".

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 12:49:33 PM »
Hi Disposable,

As I said, you can copy the styles to the internal Tyros2 hard drive or (easier) to a USB stick, but NOT to the internal USER drive (because, as I said, it is very small). In addition, only a maximum of 4 folder levels are possible in the USER drive, and the number of files that can be stored is also limited.

It is important that the style files (e.g. .prs, .sst, .sty) are unzipped. Also note that there can be multiple pages in the Style Selection display (P1, P2, P3, etc.) and that folder and file names must not exceed a maximum length of 41 characters.

As a test, temporarily create an additional folder on the HD or on a USB stick and copy a few individual styles (e.g. copied preset styles) into it to try out the basic procedure.

By the way, sometimes the Tyros2 hard drive is formatted into multiple partitions. These are then displayed as HD1, HD2, HD3, HD4. Have you checked if this is the case on your Tyros2?

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 12:54:01 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 03:16:50 PM »
8000 files will load into the hard drive but if they are in a folder the keyboard will not read it. You have to split them into smaller files.

Offline Disposable

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 04:20:53 PM »
The layout of the style files is shown in my last post above! They are all in a single main folder which is in the root of the drive  then inside are  then 44 sub folders in various categories. The drive is working as each of these file categories are visible on the "Hard Disk Recorder/Select" screen, but none of the files show up? There are also 3 empty folders visible on the drive which probably need removing.
I cannot be absolutely sure that some of the Sub folders may contain SFF2 files, but the collection stated that this particular folder was SFF1 files.

I've put all the styles onto a USB stick, and I can access and load each one without problem, they are laid out in exactly the same format as they are laid out on the hard disk drive, so something on it is causing or stopping them from showing up on the hard drive?

Some of the categories do not work with the Tyros 2 as I have just found out, but it is going to be a huge job trying out and removing the ones that do not work! The person how put this collection together needs to check his labelling of these files as they are not clear enough for a beginner to follow!

When I have removed the sections and files that are not compatible I will get back to you and let you know, hopefully doing this will sort out the problem!
Thank you all for your help so far!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 07:39:32 PM by Disposable »

Offline Disposable

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2023, 07:36:56 PM »
Hello again, just to let you know I figured out what was wrong with my hard drive setup? I had placed the styles folder inside the root folder which was already on the drive -But this folder is not the actual root of the drive, so I removed the styles folder from this folder and placed it in the actual root of the drive. In doing this I took away one level of folders needed to reach the style files. It seems that the keyboard was unhappy with where the files were placed, as soon as I tried to access the styles in their new position they were all available!
I hope this makes some sense to you all, anyway styles are now up and running on the Tyros 2.

Thank you all again for helping me solve this problem! :)

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2023, 11:56:30 PM »
Hi Disposable,

The hidden "HDR.ROOT" folder (or, depending on the model, the "AUDIO REC.ROOT" folder) is used by the system (exclusively) for HDR (Hard Disk Recording) or Audio Multi Recording. The folder is only visible on the computer if there the display of hidden files and folders is switched on. The content of this folder should not be changed by the user in USB storage mode!

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Disposable

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 02:34:29 PM »
Thanks for the info! I figured out that this was a hidden folder and I haven't removed it, that is why I moved my style files out of that folder onto the real root of the drive. But I am new to this sort of setup on a keyboard, so I was kind of lost in solving my problem without help and feedback - the help you all provided enabled me to think outside the box and solve it!
I am primarily a computer nerd, I can do almost anything with computers but very little with keyboards, but we all have to start somewhere? ;)