Author Topic: Korg starts shipping Pa5X once again... USA now getting a few too apparently.  (Read 13033 times)

Offline Tommy 73

PA5X
Avoid importing and working with stereo samples.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=127774
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Offline musicman01

Hello Robinez,
i share your opinion!!
No problems here either, just a bit of searching.
Most likely a lot of hearsay reactions, but there is also a lot of disinformation in between!!
Korg will fix the missing features in the next release(s) as well as bugs if they are bugs.
PS: the dual style player is a great feature that a real musician can do amazing things with!

PA5X
Avoid importing and working with stereo samples.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=127774

Hi Tommy, noticed the date on that post, it precedes the update towards end of last year.
 I don’t know if the problem was fixed as I haven’t used the sample function.
Antony does have his sampled piano for sale, plus some other instruments.
Some samples obviously work quite well, but, whether or not the problem he reported
back then has been fixed,I really don’t know.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline ugawoga

Hi
I just cannot understand why so many are taken in by the Korg PAX5

Everything looks over crowded to me.
There is too many unanswered questions for me also and people talking about Mp3's is a definte no for me as wave files are easily the best.
From what i am reading is that the Genos is still far superior.
I say wait for a new Genos or will a new arranger from Yamaha which incorporates the Montage and Genos appear. Synth and workstation  :)
The Montagene create samples,intelligent stylemaker,seamless switching, fills on demand,monster hard drive with a must have coffee dispenser ;D That would perc us all up 8)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 01:35:53 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline robinez

Hi

There is too many unanswered questions for me also and people talking about Mp3's is a definte no for me as wave files are easily the best.
I say wait for a new Genos or will a new arranger from Yamaha which incorporates the Montage and Genos appear. Synth and workstation  :)
The Montagene create samples,intelligent stylemaker,seamless switching, fills on demand,monster hard drive with a must have coffee dispenser ;D That would perc us all up 8)

well, i have the genos and the pa5x next to eachother and the Genos is a fantastic instrument when you just want to play your songs.

I have also a Korg keyboard because i wanted to do a lot more on the keyboard itself and the Korg Pax series is the only keyboard that can deliver to me from what i expect from a keyboard. And the Pa5x is a huge step forwards from the pa4x. I've also seen the videos on youtube and most of them don't show what it really can do in my opinion.

For instance:
- the new touch screen is very responsive
- there are new styles and sounds
- they have taken sounds from the Korg Kronos, Nautilus and SV2 (the Austrian Grand is absolutely fantastic and the Electric pianos are the best i ever heared in a keyboard)
- there is a fantastic synthesizer on board where you can program your own sounds, it support subtractive synthesis, wave sequencing and custom samples up till 8 gigabyte)
- there is unlimited space for songs and styles
- you have 64 pads for your own samples or patterns like for instance acappella's, audio loops, addon sounds, drum kits, etc (4 banks of 16).

- you can also use 16 pads for muting every channel whenever you like during play, there are short cuts for soloing channels in your style or midi file, you can mute multiple channels or unsolo them with one button press. This is a very powerful feature when performing live because you have a lot of influence on your style that way
- you can assign lot's of realtime edit controls (including sound editting features) to every channel on the faders and knobs on the left side, you can switch between several modes which gives you up till 5*18 realtime controls -> 90 controls during your performance
- you can use two players in sync at the same time, this allows you to seamlessly mashups between your songs or create 16 channel styles by mix and matching 2 styles together
- the effect section is enhanced, you have a lot of effect slots available now for your two styles at the same time

- a lot of the High end Korg kronos effects are also in the keyboard, you can modify them now with a Graphical interface or go really in depth in the parameter section to program them completely at your will
- you can switch to manual bass if you like with one button press
- you can kill the vocal in a backing track
- the chord sequencer can be programmed in realtime during the play session
- and i can go on for hours, it's absolutely amazing once you dive into the possibilities

Most of these things can't be found in the online videos. I have no idea why people don't use them in their videos, this is where korg really shines.

And it's really easy now to create your own songs on it, for instance this morning i wanted to program the song: above and beyond - Don't leave
That didn't took long, what i did:
- first i programmed a new piano in the new sound edit mode in the synthesizer (so programming the oscillators, ADSR, filters, etc). It has that dark flavor of the original piano in the song now
- then i programmed a large reverb model in the Overb
- next was creating the choir in the synthesizer and add that to the piano in a new keyboard set.
- then i copied one of the Free Styles and replaced and modified some of the elements in the assembly mode of the style editor

That was all i had to do and it could all be done on the pa5x itself.

So that's mainly the reason why i really like the korg pax series. I do like the Genos also, but i wouldn't call it superior over the korg pax series. My opinion is the opposite to be true.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 02:55:38 PM by robinez »

The following users thanked this post: Mike W

Offline BogdanH

hi Robinez,
Thank you for pointing out some of the Pa5X features that I'm also interested on. And then there's personal opinion which, although subjective, IS important for me.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Tommy 73

Hi Tommy, noticed the date on that post, it precedes the update towards end of last year.
 I don’t know if the problem was fixed as I haven’t used the sample function.
Antony does have his sampled piano for sale, plus some other instruments.
Some samples obviously work quite well, but, whether or not the problem he reported
back then has been fixed,I really don’t know.

You might be right as I see the author of that post is now selling his sample libraries for PA5X which could suggest it has?... to speed the answer up to this question I have posted directly on the authors thread and will report back pending an update with correct answer...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 05:12:09 PM by Tommy 73 »
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

Offline Tommy 73

You might be right as I see the author of that post is now selling his sample libraries for PA5X which could suggest it has?... to speed the answer up to this question I have posted directly on the authors thread and will report back pending an update with correct answer...

The answer is > "nope , I tried the same 20sec sample after latest OS and still the same issue !"

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=127879&start=15&sid=fc308e49f985dd91e05ae8220f750b12

The answer is > "nope , I tried the same 20sec sample after latest OS and still the same issue !"

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=127879&start=15&sid=fc308e49f985dd91e05ae8220f750b12

Hi Tommy,

find it all a bit confusing, Antony has managed to create these amazing sample libraries for PA5x

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=127879

Yet there’s a problem with the sampling?

Some of his stuff  is so tempting ☺️

There is definitely the odd bug left in the system that the last update didn’t fix, and will no doubt be fixed in the future.  But unless it’s a bug that affects a feature that you use, you wouldn’t even know about it.
I’ve come across a few,   I’ve worked my way around them. They haven’t stopped me enjoying my keyboard. I’m putting together a songbook, recording chord loops, editing styles. Playing my sx900 styles via PA5x keys.
I’ve been enjoying my PA5x for the last 6 months or so.  It just got a bit too ridiculous over on the Korg forum , when people who didn’t own one , or never had any intention of buying one , were  complaining about the keyboard and bagging it. One dared not say anything good about it .

Haven’t found that sort of reaction amongst the Yamaha devotees, who are very loyal to the brand even when there might be the odd problem here or there. Much more pleasant place to be😄.

Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline robinez

Hi Tommy,

find it all a bit confusing, Antony has managed to create these amazing sample libraries for PA5x

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=127879

Yet there’s a problem with the sampling?

Some of his stuff  is so tempting ☺️

There is definitely the odd bug left in the system that the last update didn’t fix, and will no doubt be fixed in the future.  But unless it’s a bug that affects a feature that you use, you wouldn’t even know about it.
I’ve come across a few,   I’ve worked my way around them. They haven’t stopped me enjoying my keyboard. I’m putting together a songbook, recording chord loops, editing styles. Playing my sx900 styles via PA5x keys.
I’ve been enjoying my PA5x for the last 6 months or so.  It just got a bit too ridiculous over on the Korg forum , when people who didn’t own one , or never had any intention of buying one , were  complaining about the keyboard and bagging it. One dared not say anything good about it .

Haven’t found that sort of reaction amongst the Yamaha devotees, who are very loyal to the brand even when there might be the odd problem here or there. Much more pleasant place to be😄.

Well said, i totally agree.

That's why I always want to experience things myself, to see if it's really that bad. And to be honest, that whole issue list on korg forums, i can't reproduce almost none of them.

That doesn't mean that the pa5x is flawless. Somethings are still missing like:
- create new bank in the user sound area
- import of soundfonts (it's mentioned as supported in the manual)

But these are just two things. I've started testing the sample features. For now it works really good. I have all my sample library projects in samplerobot 6 pro, so it's just a matter of loading the project and export it in korg kronos kmp format. The KSF files can be imported in a multisample on the pa5x and saved to the internal memory. Then add a new sound with 2 oscillators and assign your Left and Right Multisample to those oscs and do some programming for the sound itself. It's very easy to do and until know it works really good.

I didn't find yet a possibility to create a sound package on the pa5x itself, like selecting your new programmed sound and export it with the multisamples included in your internal memory. I saw that it's possible to export multisamples from the internal memory manually by selecting a multisample and select the export button, but if i recall correctly there was an option on the pa4x to save the sounds including the user samples.

Do you know how to do this on the pa5x?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 08:59:02 AM by robinez »

Offline ugawoga

Hi

The big downer for me is that you have to record MP3 on Pax5

How do you record a song and change registrations when needed in your song??

It seems to me that you can only record Chord sequences or tracks separately.
On the Genos you can record the lot in one go in midi live. Just edit small things in Cubase 12.
There is not a lot of easy explanation for a new customer to understand how you can record a whole song straight into Pax5 without it being an mp3 which is not on really. Wave files are the way to go and mp3's are a cut down version to save space.
This is why i will stick with the Genos as this is quality.
The Genos also works great in Cubase 12. Does the Pax 5 and is it's Sys Ex compatible.
I see why Robinez likes the Korg as he builds tracks separately and is more synth based.
I personally think that VST is the way to go being synth based  as samples and sampling is a breeze with vst with Sample Robot.
How do Sample Robot samples  convert to Korg Pax5 and how much converted files can the Korg Pax 5 hold as the Genos only will only handle sf2 and you cannot hold many sampled sounds on the Genos as they take up gigabytes of space if you are not careful.
The whole purpose for an arranger for me  is to play songs and record them quickly, but i think that the Genos wins in that department and wave recording at that. On the Genos you can record midi using styles and registrations for a complete song.
Do not let anyone fool you into thinking mp3's are quality. For me there is a massive difference between mp3 and wave files as mp3's are quashed files or compressed to save space and cannot be reversed once recorded In other word there is a clarity difference.

all the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 09:58:57 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline robinez

Hi, i'll try to answer your questions.

How do you record a song and change registrations when needed in your song??
if you want to record midi on your keyboard based on the style you play then you are right, that function isn't available yet in the pa5x (i have no doubt that they will add it in a future update). There is a recording midi sequencer (like the multi midi recording feature on the Genos) with the same functionality as the genos, but the genos can record the midi of your current style in that midi recording.

However, you have cubase, so why not directly record it in there, in the pa5x you have two midi in and outputs in your Cubase. The pa5x Keyboard input / output reacts to your programming of the keyboard itself (like changing variations, styles, keyboard sets and even the realtime control over for instance Vocal processing or Guitar input effects), the PA5x Sounds input / output gives you access to the entire sound library on your pa5x (including your user sounds), through MSB / LSB / PC.

Of course you can record the style you play in separate midi channels and everything is directly available for editing in cubase. The sound can be connected through an External device that you create in cubase and that also solves the latency if you want to combine your hardware with your VST's and processing.

And this way you can record the audio directly in cubase and export it as Wav files if desired.

You have invested in your I7 system, so you have all the tools you need in your own studio.

It seems to me that you can only record Chord sequences or tracks separately.
On the Genos you can record the lot in one go in midi live. Just edit small things in Cubase 12.
There is not a lot of easy explanation for a new customer to understand how you can record a whole song straight into Pax5 without it being an mp3 which is not on really. Wave files are the way to go and mp3's are a cut down version to save space.
This is why i will stick with the Genos as this is quality.

As explained above, the only thing missing is that you can't record the style midi output directly on the Pa5x self at the moment. But you said that you are using the Genos for midi recording and then load that midi file in Cubase to do the minor edits. Why nog connect your Genos directly to cubase, your studio can do this quite well, it sounds to me like an extra step that is not needed on your genos if you work the way as you described above.

I personally think that VST is the way to go being synth based  as samples and sampling is a breeze with vst with Sample Robot.
How do Sample Robot samples  convert to Korg Pax5 and how much converted files can the Korg Pax 5 hold as the Genos only will only handle sf2 and you cannot hold many sampled sounds on the Genos as they take up gigabytes of space if you are not careful.

I've added a lot of sounds to my Genos through Yem, i agree that Sample robot is a very useful tool to quickly enhance your keyboards with new sounds.
The Genos has 3 Gigabytes of memory, the Pa5x has 8 Gigabytes of memory, so in theory you can store al lot more sounds on the pa5x.

The whole purpose for an arranger for me  is to play songs and record them quickly, but i think that the Genos wins in that department and wave recording at that. On the Genos you can record midi using styles and registrations for a complete song.

Do not let anyone fool you into thinking mp3's are quality. For me there is a massive difference between mp3 and wave files as mp3's are quashed files or compressed to save space and cannot be reversed once recorded In other word there is a clarity difference.

you can record directly on the pa5x in 256kbps mp3, i don't want to get in to the discussion about wav versus 256 mp3's, but if that's important to you then you can record directly into cubase and you can use the 48 khz and 24 bits depth of a wav file instead of the default 44.1khz / 16 bit depth of the genos, my advice would be to use cubase a lot more that way if these things are important to you, because you have all the advantages then directly at hand (for instance Audiolens from Izotope, it's amazing and i see that you have izotope in your list).

I hope these answers your questions, especially if you want to record your midi songs with styles directly on a keyboard than for now the Genos is the ultimate solution for you. If you are considering a Korg Pa5x in the future then the only thing you have to do is to connect the pa5x to your cubase and setup a multi track midi project in cubase and record directly it in there in midi. It saves you a copy midi file from your keyboard to cubase action.

And keep in mind, all these things mentioned above you can already do with the Genos, you can record it directly in cubase.

I didn't find yet a possibility to create a sound package on the pa5x itself, like selecting your new programmed sound and export it with the multisamples included in your internal memory. I saw that it's possible to export multisamples from the internal memory manually by selecting a multisample and select the export button, but if i recall correctly there was an option on the pa4x to save the sounds including the user samples.

Do you know how to do this on the pa5x?

Hi Robinez, sorry , subject I currently know nothing about. Maybe ask on Korg forum , if you can get a message through. Or maybe check wish list or bug list just in case it’s a missing function. I’m pretty sure you’re right that you used to save everything as a .set.

I found this in the manual, might help.
“Assigning the new Sound or Drum Kit to a track.
The new Sounds or Drum Kits are contained in the User folders. Assign them to the Keyboard, Pad, Style or Song tracks, as you would do with any other Sound or Drum Kit. Drum Kits are better suited for the Drum or Percussion track.
When done, save the Sound set (Keyboard Set, SongBook Entry, Pad, Style, MIDI Song) to preserve your editing.”

To me, it sounds like it’s been changed, from the way it used to be handled.
 It sort of sounds like you create your samples, then  create your sounds, then assign them to your styles , pads whatever?

Check manual page 1015 ( pages before and after) Unfortunately not something I have tried yet.

I think maybe the “keyboard sets”  is some sort of starting point.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline robinez

Hi Robinez, sorry , subject I currently know nothing about. Maybe ask on Korg forum , if you can get a message through. Or maybe check wish list or bug list just in case it’s a missing function. I’m pretty sure you’re right that you used to save everything as a .set.
thank you for the reply rikkisbears, the good news is that I already found out how to do it.
If you select save all and then user sounds, it creates a PCM folder in the KST file. There you can find every sample that is loaded into the memory of your hardware.
the multisamples are also in a seperate directory.

I think the sample area works really well, it's rather easy to expand the pa5x now with my own custom libraries for my own use.
I've already add the alicia keys piano from native instruments to it (my favorite piano) and a lot of sounds i sampled from my own sounds in the virus TI.

There is an overview screen now in the sample area, where you can see all the details of the internal stored samples in memory like if the are mono or stereo and if they are compressed or not (you can even use compressed and uncompressed samples in the same multisample.). I also tried reloading the backup to see if the compressed sounds were messed up. In my case i didn't notice anything strange yet.

Offline ugawoga

Thanks Robinez for replying with your explanations
Just let you know that i asked again about Sample Robot going VST 3 and
 Christian said it is on the cards.
How long is a piece of string? lol. :)

All the best
John :) :)

If you select save all and then user sounds, it creates a PCM folder in the KST file. There you can find every sample that is loaded into the memory of your hardware.
the multisamples are also in a seperate directory.

Hi Robinez, sort of remember reading something about that over on Korg. Probably it was  a post by AntonySharmon.  If I’m not sure about something, I go thru his posts just in case it’s something he’s written about😀

Wow, brilliant it is working out for you so well. It’s really great to hear some positive feedback . You’re exploring functions I currently don’t use ie the sampler. I’ve read so much stuff about it not functioning correctly, I’d put it aside in the too hard basket for the time being , just in case it didn’t work. I wouldn’t know if it was a bug, or me just doing something wrong. It’s drums that mainly interest me , ie time slicing. I’ve got real drums from band in a box, and hoping I might be able to convert a few drum loops from my sx900 across to Korg for my converted  psr styles.  There’s just the odd style that Korg lacks, and even though the majority of the style converts ok, drums usually sound very ordinary 😞.
I was starting to think I was out there on an island 🏝 all alone , enjoying my keyboard ☺️ ( there were a couple of others).
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline robinez

Wow, brilliant it is working out for you so well. It’s really great to hear some positive feedback . You’re exploring functions I currently don’t use ie the sampler. I’ve read so much stuff about it not functioning correctly, I’d put it aside in the too hard basket for the time being , just in case it didn’t work. I wouldn’t know if it was a bug, or me just doing something wrong.
I agree, when reading korgforums or the numerous facebook posts reading about how unstable the korg pa5x is with lots of bugs, I got the impression that it was a big step backwards from my pa4x. But I also know that it's the internet with only a few people being very loud about their problems and lots of people that don't even own a korg pa5x repeating what they are reading. So I was really curious if I would got the same experience.

And i totally disagree with them until now. It's rock stable and it's a huge step forwards from the korg pa5x. I've also got a korg kronos (actually i have a studio with lots of synths), and when comparing the pa5x sounds with the korg kronos (for instance the austrian piano), then the pa5x sounds better then the korg kronos. This is because the finalizer in the pa5x does an amazing job, but the dynamics and compactness are absolutely fantastic.

So my experience till now is that the mentioned reports probably were on version 1.0 and that a lot of them were solved with the 1.10 update, or that they were caused by corrupt midi files or imported files older then the Pa4x (which isn't really supported and cause errors.  And of course there are still some bugs, but these seems to be quite minor and mostly ranged to transpose of microtunings settings and more.

There are also problems mentioned that aren't bugs at all, for instance someone says that he has a bug that the notes from C6 on the piano are sustained by default, that's not a bug at all, he obviously don't know how a real piano works. Most pianos have dampers up to C6, because the vibration period is really short on the high octaves they are not needed.And i read more of these kind of 'bug reports' online.

So don't believe everything you read nowadays on forums, it can be a toxic place. I have to admit that on this forum this is not the case. People are much more gentle on their posts here, maybe the yamaha community is a more forgiving one.

It’s drums that mainly interest me , ie time slicing. I’ve got real drums from band in a box, and hoping I might be able to convert a few drum loops from my sx900 across to Korg for my converted  psr styles.  There’s just the odd style that Korg lacks, and even though the majority of the style converts ok, drums usually sound very ordinary 😞.
There is a timeslice mode in the pa5x, i didn't try it yet but i will do some tests this week to see if it works correctly.

What you can also do for your converted styles is that the ones where you don't like the drums is to copy the drums of one of hundreds of styles available in the style edit assembly function on the  pa5x, that works the same now as on the Yamaha Genos and the Pa5x made a huge step forwards in that area.

I was starting to think I was out there on an island 🏝 all alone , enjoying my keyboard ☺️ ( there were a couple of others).

Well, i waited since july 2022 (so 10 months) before my pa5x got delivered, so in the music store in holland where i got my pa5x from there were 40 people waiting for the delivery of their pa5x (according to the shop owner). Considering that that is only one shop i can imagine that many people want one, but simply they aren't available. So hopefully they will be available in the near future for everyone and then we will see a lot more (and better) demos on the internet and i have no doubt that we will get more positive feedback.

So you are not alone anymore  :)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 09:03:22 AM by robinez »

The following users thanked this post: fjafan

keynote

Korg will be at NAMM 2023, April 13-15 (starts tomorrow) so perhaps Korg will surprise Pa5X owners with a new OS update. The Pa5x will be on the market one whole year in June so a new OS update would sure be a welcome sight for sore eyes for Pa5X owners. Not sure why Korg has fiddled around so much basically biding its time but I suspect it has something to do with money.  ;) If you've read about Korg financial stats lately it appears they're really cash strapped. So therefore, if Korg releases a new update at NAMM it would sure help shore up its brand name in the public domain. I'm a consumer advocate and needless to say I don't like it when companies hang their customers out to dry.

All the best, Mike   

Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Korg will be at NAMM 2023, April 13-15 (starts tomorrow) so perhaps Korg will surprise Pa5X owners with a new OS update. The Pa5x will be on the market one whole year in June so a new OS update would sure be a welcome sight for sore eyes for Pa5X owners. Not sure why Korg has fiddled around so much basically biding its time but I suspect it has something to do with money.  ;) If you've read about Korg financial stats lately it appears they're really cash strapped. So therefore, if Korg releases a new update at NAMM it would sure help shore up its brand name in the public domain. I'm a consumer advocate and needless to say I don't like it when companies hang their customers out to dry.

All the best, Mike   

Hi Mike, would be great, but somehow I doubt it. They’ve got a timeline of sorts in faq
https://www.korg.com/au/products/synthesizers/pa5x/faq.php
May/June. These particular functions to do with style editing will be great for me.  Most of my editing was done in xgworks,  but for really simple things , it’s easier onboard.

Personally, and this is only my theory, I think this update is taking so long because they’re having to do a major rewrite of the OS.

When you look at all the glossy brochures and blurb on the PA5x, I tend to think they thought they had a finished product  (albeit a few bugs).
So many people nowadays use daws for so many things. Style creation, sequencing, recording etc.  so why double up on functions that can be done in a Daw?
Wrong, users want what we had on prior korgs, and I think that’s where they made a major miscalculation . It’s great that the gave us a dual style player, with all the assignable buttons and sliders ( probably a performer’s dream) 30 plus pad buttons, simplified style loading system etc. A new operating system .
Everything as far as I’m aware, that glossy brochure said the PA5x does, it does actually do.
Now I think they’re scrambling to add all those missing functions back  in, that made the Korg  what it was, and loved by the korgies.
Just going to take time.

Could you imagine telling us when next Yamaha keyboard arrives on the scene btw, this keyboard won’t load styles prior to the Genos or SX series. And all those apps members have created over the years may or may not work.
Careful what we wish for.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

All the best, Mike   

There have been a few reports, including from PianoManChuck that Korg's NAMM appearance does not involve product demos and is pretty low key. Thus I doubt there will be any surprises over the next few days.

I have to conclude, it seems for most keyboard and digital piano users, regardless of brand, NAMM is going to be pretty un-remarkable.
Without Music, Life would be a Mistake.

Check out my Genos recordings & performances: http://www.youtube.com/andrewkeyz

There have been a few reports, including from PianoManChuck that Korg's NAMM appearance does not involve product demos and is pretty low key. Thus I doubt there will be any surprises over the next few days.

I have to conclude, it seems for most keyboard and digital piano users, regardless of brand, NAMM is going to be pretty un-remarkable.

Hi Andrew, sadly sounds like an underwhelming , disappointing event for many. The Yamaha users who’d been hoping for a successor to the Genos. Korg owners hoping for news on the update.
How times have changed. Used to be the hilight of the year for keyboard lovers😞.
Those heady days seem to have gone.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline robinez

Here is my first attempt playing a song on the pa5x.

This song is a cover of a new age song from above and beyond which has a very modest atmosphere in that track. Basically it's only a piano and a pad sound in the original which gives a great feeling to that track.

So when trying to reproduce that I programmed a new piano in the pa5x synth engine. I made the piano really dark so that it comes close to the original and programmed a new choir sound in the background in the synth edit mode of the pa5x.

Then I used one of the FS styles (free styles) in the Pa5x and added a Rock type Drum pattern from another style to it in the Style edit assembly mode to create a new style for this song.
Now when i go to variation 3 then the drums kick in and i add a more bright piano to the dark piano so that it stands out in the style.

The song is called: Above and Beyond - Don't Leave
you can find it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9lcEEOJB-0

Here is my first attempt playing a song on the pa5x.

This song is a cover of a new age song from above and beyond which has a very modest atmosphere in that track. Basically it's only a piano and a pad sound in the original which gives a great feeling to that track.

So when trying to reproduce that I programmed a new piano in the pa5x synth engine. I made the piano really dark so that it comes close to the original and programmed a new choir sound in the background in the synth edit mode of the pa5x.

Then I used one of the FS styles (free styles) in the Pa5x and added a Rock type Drum pattern from another style to it in the Style edit assembly mode to create a new style for this song.
Now when i go to variation 3 then the drums kick in and i add a more bright piano to the dark piano so that it stands out in the style.

The song is called: Above and Beyond - Don't Leave
you can find it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9lcEEOJB-0
Wow, love it. You have a brilliant site. Going to give me many hours of listening. Thank you for sharing.

Those free styles are wonderful on both Korg and Yamaha, so versatile.  Since my piano playing efforts are pretty ordinary 😞 I like to add looping piano pads or when possible copy the pad into the style itself.

Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline robinez

Wow, love it. You have a brilliant site. Going to give me many hours of listening. Thank you for sharing.

Those free styles are wonderful on both Korg and Yamaha, so versatile.  Since my piano playing efforts are pretty ordinary 😞 I like to add looping piano pads or when possible copy the pad into the style itself.
yes, the free styles of the genos are also absolutely fantastic, I use them a lot.

I recorded a new video with choir and guitar sounds, but I discovered that the pa5x doesn't work really well with voicings for chord recognition. That means that when you play orchestral songs that you spread the chord over 3 octaves. Like A - E - C for an a minor. This worked perfectly on the pa4x, but on the pa5x you have to play the full chords in twpo octave for that chord recognition when using the inverse bass setting. Do you know if there is a setting that is going to solve that in the pa5x (I saw the three notes for chords determination setting, but I didn't see a voicing setting).

So normally i could use an E1 for the bass and a C3 and G3 for the Chord recognition of a C/E chord (c major with an E bass line). This doesn't work, you have to play now an E2 for the bass and a C3 and G3 for that chord recognition.

You can hear that behavior in my video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ExeYJprhs
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 03:20:20 PM by robinez »

Hi, sorry , I only using the 3 finger mode setting with split.
Have you tried “expert mode” setting ? Or is that the one you are using.
If settings on Pa4x and PA5x  are identical, maybe one of those darn bugs.
Unfortunately I can’t remember what settings were on Pa4x, sold it about4 years ago.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline robinez

Hi, sorry , I only using the 3 finger mode setting with split.
Have you tried “expert mode” setting ? Or is that the one you are using.
If settings on Pa4x and PA5x  are identical, maybe one of those darn bugs.
Unfortunately I can’t remember what settings were on Pa4x, sold it about4 years ago.
it's a bug i think, while inverse bass mode is set to on, Split is set to off (full keyboard recognition) and then it works if you enter the notes for a voiced A minor this way (notes played from left to right to form a chord):

A2 - A1 - E3 - C3

It doesn't work if you enter the notes for a voiced A minor this way:

A1 - A2 - E3 - C3

This did work on the pa4x, i also tried advanced chord recognition but that didn't work either.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 03:29:49 PM by robinez »

Hi Robinez, might be a bug, never tried it on my Pa4x.
I played around a bit with some of the settings, it appears you have to play at least 3 notes within a certain range of keys( 18 , I think) or your chord won’t change.

If you think it is a bug, would be worth reporting over on Korg forum. Supposedly Korg does read the list of  bugs and problems owners have found, they just don’t participate on the forum.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

The following users thanked this post: Tommy 73

Offline robinez

Hi Robinez, might be a bug, never tried it on my Pa4x.
I played around a bit with some of the settings, it appears you have to play at least 3 notes within a certain range of keys( 18 , I think) or your chord won’t change.

If you think it is a bug, would be worth reporting over on Korg forum. Supposedly Korg does read the list of  bugs and problems owners have found, they just don’t participate on the forum.

thanks,
I also think it's a bug, I will report it to them.

in the meanwhile i made a lot of progress on the pa5x. It's absolutely amazing what you can do with it once you understand it. I've created a new dance style demo song with some insights in what i did in the video text boxes.

you can find it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khWSYWeKI2Q

keynote

Discovering bugs on the Pa5X seems to be fairly common. Even after the latest OS update 1.1.0 bugs seem to still abound from what I've read over at the Korg Forums. If this latest situation turns out to be a bug, posting it over at the Korg Forums in the bug thread/section is probably a good idea, since I think Korg employees browse the forum if I'm not mistaken. The more Korg knows about various bugs, the more opportunity for them to hopefully fix them in an expeditious manner.

For our PSR Tutorial forum members, I found another recent YouTube video of the Pa5X demonstrating its various sounds. I linked the video time to where he starts playing the Pa5X. At the beginning of the video, he's speaking Polish, so I went ahead and bypassed to where he starts playing.

Also, I got an email from Sweetwater.com the other day saying they now have the Korg Pa5X in stock in case anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/p8Zjhgk0VGI?t=289

All the best, Mike
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 12:28:31 AM by keynote »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khWSYWeKI2Q

Hi Qui, nice. Like that you put in the pop ups to explain what you have done.

Thank you Mike for link, haven’t seen that one before. Yes, Korg forum as a  sticky thread for members to report bugs, which is good. Just hope Korg are  reading and taking note. Sometimes wonder if everything reported is actually a bug, or  in some instances the new operating system does it differently.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 10:21:44 PM by rikkisbears »
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Saw this reply to another thread and couldn't help thinking how it could apply to this thread. :) Just replace Yamaha with Korg.

Yamaha Synth.com?
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:42:24 PM »

These posts seem odd to me. This forum has no relationship to either Korg Forums (Yamahasynth) or Korg (Yamaha) company so not sure why it is posted here. We cannot possibly help or comment on issues with other websites.
And the last post about the Genos seems to have nothing to do with either the thread subject matter or the first post.
My impression is they are wrongly posted here.

Mike
Genos2, Montage M6, Maschine Micro NI, Cubase 13, Komplete 14 Ultimate, Arturia Analog Lab, HALion7, Groove Agent 5, HS8 Speakers.

Offline BogdanH

...Sometimes wonder if everything reported is actually a bug, or  in some instances the new operating system does it differently.
-that's my impression too.
I think it happened to us: we wish to do something and it doesn't work as we expected.. and then hurry up to be the first to report a bug. Later we find out that we needed to do it differently, but at that point it's too late: "news" is already out.
Bugs always exist.. but we need to be selective about who's reporting them and in what way.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

tyrosman

Hi

same here John the Korg is a total waste of time i stand by Yamaha

Offline robinez

Hi Qui, nice. Like that you put in the pop ups to explain what you have done.
thanks!

tomorrow i will record the first batch of tutorials, I won't post them over here because this is mostly a yamaha forum, but you can find them soon on my youtube channel.

I've read the entire manual now (1572 pages) and I'm amazed about what it can do once you have learned how to do it. For me this is my dream keyboard now, the things I want in a keyboard are all in this pa5x. I also think that most people will not understand what it can do, it's really needed to give lots of examples in tutorial videos to show what it can do.

For instance, did you know that you now can use any midi file and use that as a song specific style? The Yamaha genos has those fantastic song styles for specific songs, korg never had those. But now you can use any midi file and chop it up in a maximum of 15 parts which are automatically assigned to your intro, variations and fills knobs. So for instance you can start with the intro of a midi file now, then decide to go directly to the bridge, then use variation 1 for 10 minutes and then go to the outro, you can do this all in Realtime by using the intro, variation, fills and outro buttons. It automatically switches to that mode if you load a midi file instead of a style. And you can do that for up till 15 parts in your midi file (with all 16 midi parts). It's extremely easy to setup, I never saw that on any keyboard (also not available on the pa4x).

And there are so many of these kind of features that nobody mentions, I'm really happy with it.

The combination of the pa5x and my yamaha genos also works really good, it's easy to setup in the midi area and they fit eachother really well.

thanks!

tomorrow i will record the first batch of tutorials, I won't post them over here because this is mostly a yamaha forum, but you can find them soon on my youtube channel.

I've read the entire manual now (1572 pages) and I'm amazed about what it can do once you have learned how to do it. For me this is my dream keyboard now, the things I want in a keyboard are all in this pa5x. I also think that most people will not understand what it can do, it's really needed to give lots of examples in tutorial videos to show what it can do.

For instance, did you know that you now can use any midi file and use that as a song specific style? The Yamaha genos has those fantastic song styles for specific songs, korg never had those. But now you can use any midi file and chop it up in a maximum of 15 parts which are automatically assigned to your intro, variations and fills knobs. So for instance you can start with the intro of a midi file now, then decide to go directly to the bridge, then use variation 1 for 10 minutes and then go to the outro, you can do this all in Realtime by using the intro, variation, fills and outro buttons. It automatically switches to that mode if you load a midi file instead of a style. And you can do that for up till 15 parts in your midi file (with all 16 midi parts). It's extremely easy to setup, I never saw that on any keyboard (also not available on the pa4x).

And there are so many of these kind of features that nobody mentions, I'm really happy with it.

The combination of the pa5x and my yamaha genos also works really good, it's easy to setup in the midi area and they fit eachother really well.

Hi Qui, I think tutorials will help many. I subscribed  to  your site a few days ago. You have some very interesting stuff.

Maybe I better start reading that manual 😀. Too many of us think we know what we’re doing and as Bogdan  mentioned , when something doesn’t work as we expect, we automatically assume it’s a bug. I’ve only gotten halfway thru the reference manual, let alone start on the user manual😬. I think a lot of us only look up a specific function if we’re needing help to work something out.  Obviously we could be missing out on new functions.
Had no idea that it could do what you mentioned above with midifiles, have to check into that one. Sounds a lot easier than going to the trouble of creating a song specific style from a midifile. If you haven’t already done so, you should mention it over on Korg.  Might help owners or potential owners who are missing the song to style function. ( can’t remember what it was called😟)
 There’s finally some new owners popping up.😀 so they must slowly be getting supply sorted😀

I have my PA5x set up with my sx900 via midi. Perfect combination. PA5x as controller.   Other way round didn’t work that well.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline robinez

Had no idea that it could do what you mentioned above with midifiles, have to check into that one. Sounds a lot easier than going to the trouble of creating a song specific style from a midifile. If you haven’t already done so, you should mention it over on Korg.  Might help owners or potential owners who are missing the song to style function. ( can’t remember what it was called😟)
 There’s finally some new owners popping up.😀 so they must slowly be getting supply sorted😀

Thanks for mentioning this idea, i've added it to my review and favorite features video with lots of examples.
you can find it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1R86vhLLk8

Thanks for mentioning this idea, i've added it to my review and favorite features video with lots of examples.
you can find it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1R86vhLLk8

Thanks Qui, great video clip.  Found the section on markers for midifiles. Great feature.
Now reading manual. Haha😀
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022