Author Topic: Karaoke files  (Read 2704 times)

Offline raywil77

Karaoke files
« on: December 30, 2022, 08:24:49 PM »
Hi peeps  just a quick one when I download a karaoke version file I can save to usb and it plays OK on my genos,
But if I try to edit name it won't play

Offline DrakeM

Re: Karaoke files
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 12:39:55 PM »
Try to edit the name BEFORE you place it on the USB stick.

Offline raywil77

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 08:31:20 PM »
Thank you will do

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 10:15:40 PM »
Hi peeps  just a quick one when I download a karaoke version file I can save to usb and it plays OK on my genos,
But if I try to edit name it won't play

Hi raywil77,

Regardless of whether you rename the files on the PC or directly on the Genos: It is important that the original file name extension (in this case probably ".mp3") remains unchanged. On Genos, a file name can contain up to 46 characters. But I still recommend using a short file name and avoiding special characters if possible.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 10:55:50 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Oldden

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 09:34:13 AM »
I have had some midi karaoke files in the past and the extensions were .kar and I renamed the extension to .mid if needed. They were just midi files with txt, no graphics. As an aside point I used a program called Van Bascoes player. It’s very old, free but still available, and will play kar and midi files and put any lyrics  on the screen in time to the music. Obviously it’s only for midi based files so not as good as proper karaoke discs.

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 11:27:04 AM »
I have had some midi karaoke files in the past and the extensions were .kar and I renamed the extension to .mid if needed. They were just midi files with txt, no graphics. As an aside point I used a program called Van Bascoes player. It’s very old, free but still available, and will play kar and midi files and put any lyrics  on the screen in time to the music. Obviously it’s only for midi based files so not as good as proper karaoke discs.

Hi Oldden,

Yes, the vanBasco Player only plays MIDI files (.mid and .kar as well as .midi and .rmi), but no Audio files. But since the OP had mentioned that he has the files from "karaoke version" (www.karaoke-version.com), I suspect they are .mp3 Audio files.

Note that .kar MIDI files have a different internal lyrics format than normal .mid MIDI files. Instead of simply renaming them from .kar to .mid, I recommend converting the .kar files to .mid using PSRUTI. Just load the .kar file into PSRUTI and save again. The lyrics are also automatically converted.

Quote from the PSRUTI Manual, page 5:

Converting Karaoke Files to Standard MIDI files

Karaoke Files, extension .kar, are converted implicitly when the file is loaded. The karaoke text events are converted by standard meta events Lyric, that can be displayed with Yamaha keyboards. Sometimes we find files with the extension .mid, where the internal representation of song text is like .kar files. In such case
change the extension by .kar and load it with PSRUTI.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Drsun19

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 04:56:48 PM »
In +CDG you need a MP3 file as well with the same name. It's better to set them all in the PC and then move them to the USB -> Genos.
Genos, Montage 7, Alesis Vortex Wireless 2, IMac 32Gb RAM, Lenovo Legion i7, Yamaha DXR 12, Cubase 10.5, Sample Robot, Style Magic YA, Keyscape, Omnisphere.