Author Topic: Do we really need complicated keyboards  (Read 6337 times)

Offline adrianed

Re: Do we really need complicated keyboards
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2023, 04:15:35 AM »
Mike, I will try anything, win some, lose some
Adrian

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2023, 03:23:03 PM »
I am not proposing changing the present method of indicating the scale at the beginning of the score
I started trying to write them in but could not write small enough
Adrian

Use a "RED" Sharpie pen -- and just make a single red dot next to it.

I use numbers in a straight line  ....  and not notes or a scale.

Drake

Offline mikf

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2023, 04:13:53 PM »
These simplified systems work ok for a melody line on a lead sheet, or extremely simple full notation, but the normal system was devised for playing full notation of anything - Chopin, etc.
Mike.

Offline adrianed

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2023, 08:17:26 PM »
You are right Mike, I did concede that I didn’t expect it to be feasible for all music and it is not very posh
I suggest it could be used to help individuals to get used to playing those type of scales and then move foreword
Use any means available to get ahead it beats boring running the fingers up and down the scales and a lot more interesting
Adrian

Offline adrianed

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2023, 08:30:51 PM »
Yes Drake a good idea, perhaps red for sharps and another colour for flats
Not sure what you meant about numbers in a straight line
Just wondering how to mark them on my pc because that is where they are as pdf files
Adrian

Offline SciNote

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2023, 10:30:31 PM »

My own particular bugbear is with music scores. Why some composers write them with 5 flats or 5 sharps I know not, but I completely avoid such music. It's way too complicated for my old head to comprehend. I can play many many chords and read music, but my old music teacher I think had a point when he said that the more complicated the music was, the more the composer was trying to show off HIS expertise, whilst making it totally indecipherable to most players.

So enjoy whatever keyboard you have , and play it. the rest is theoretical.

Yes, it is possible that some composers are just showing off when using more complicated key signatures.  But there could be other reasons.  First of all, some key signatures, with their combinations of black and white keys, are just more comfortable to play in for certain songs.  Think of the traditional blues scale -- typically C, D, Eb, F, F#, G, A, Bb, then C.  Once you learn that scale and start doing blues improvs with it, it feels so natural that this scale in other keys just doesn't feel as fluid and natural -- at least, to me.

Secondly, a less often used key signature can make a song stand out, audibly.  In a sea of songs played on the radio in keys such as C, F, or G, when something suddenly comes on in, say, Db (5 flats), it can create a sound that stands out on a subconscious level, even for people who are not musicians, because it doesn't just fit in the "matrix" of the more commonly used keys.  In my experience, Vangelis likes the key of Db, which is the key that Chariots of Fire is written in.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

Offline mikf

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2023, 12:48:04 AM »
When writing songs or opera most composers will set the key so the melody suits the range of the likely singers. When writing orchestral pieces or band arrangements the piano key becomes somewhat moot because many of the orchestral instruments read in different keys. Then as SciNote says sometimes composers like how it sounds in a particular key.
And you have to remember that for highly proficient players, different keys are not that much of an issue. A concert pianist will not see Db as any harder than G. They don’t have the same limitations that we on this forum have. Imagine trying to catch Hussein Bolt or get in a boxing ring with Mike Tyson. That’s how far ahead of us really good players are.
Mike