Author Topic: Thinking about SanDisk Cruzer Blade 32GB for SX700  (Read 1855 times)

Offline DanielKeyboard

Thinking about SanDisk Cruzer Blade 32GB for SX700
« on: December 26, 2022, 08:18:57 AM »
So after reading the PDF I googled about USB Flash Drives. I am wanting to buy me a Mega Styles I found that will work with SX600/700/900. I found from the Yamaha USB list that I notice I bought back in 2017 from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Blade-Drive-SDCZ50-032G-B35/dp/B005FYNT3G#)

My question, has anyone had any issues regarding to the Flash Drive I just linked here? I want to be sure I'll buy the right USB for the SX700 I wanna get.
~ Daniel C

Current Keyboards: YPG235 and PSR-280
Future Keyboard: SX700
Past Keyboard: Casio CT-605 | PSR-GX76

YOUTUBE CHANNEL | TWITCH CHANNEL

Offline BogdanH

Re: Thinking about SanDisk Cruzer Blade 32GB for SX700
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 09:34:10 AM »
In general, every USB flash drive will work on PSR-SX if it's formatted on keyboard (or on PC as FAT32). In short, when buying for PSR-SX, you shouldn't have concerns about "compatibility".
When buying USB flash drive, keep in mind, that it will probably not be used only on keyboard -USB flash is universal device. What matters (besides capacity) is speed! Even speed is not really relevant for keyboard (which is very slow at readying content from USB), the speed does matter when you copy content from PC to USB flash. If you're absolutely sure, that USB flash will only be used for keyboard, then every USB stick will do. Btw. I had the flash drive you linked and I have thrown it in the bin just after first try (is true!). Reason? Because it's slow as a snail.
My experience in regard USB flash drives: if you buy cheap, you will end up with ten of them and you will hate them all -because of slow speed.
My advice: buy USB 3.0 flash drive. But that's still not a guarantee that it will actually perform fast. The thing is, for cheaper USB 3.0 sticks, almost all companies (brands actually) are cheating. That is, they usually only specify (impressive) read speed, without telling the write speed (which is many times the same as for USB 2.0).
To keep story short, a good USB 3.0 stick is about 40€ (and above). Yes, is expensive, but you only buy once.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: DanielKeyboard

Offline Del B

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2022, 09:49:49 AM »
Hi Daniel
I use the cruzer blade flash drive with no problems

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2022, 11:25:26 AM »
I use 32Gb Verbatim Store-n-go. They are fast and work really well.

Offline Dnj

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 09:09:05 PM »
I always use a SanDisk USB drive with no problems at all.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2022, 11:28:22 PM »
In general, every USB flash drive will work on PSR-SX if it's formatted on keyboard (or on PC as FAT32). In short, when buying for PSR-SX, you shouldn't have concerns about "compatibility".

Bogdan

You would think (so did I), but it turns out the DGX670 and psrsx600 have a lower current draw tolerance, meaning the 256GB stick I use for all the other CVP/PSR/Korgs doesn't work on those 2, so I had to purchase a lower current draw 32GB stick.

but until the sx600 and the DGX670, yes they were universal if FAT32

Mark

Offline andyg

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2022, 02:21:41 PM »
We'll all have our preferences, but I've settled on Sandisk Cruzer Blade sticks for my organ and keyboards. 16GB or 32GB - and to be honest, that's probably overkill for 90% of users. :) Fast, reliable, never had a problem.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline TiasDad

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 10:59:57 AM »
Daniel,
I would also recommend purchasing a short USB extension cable for the USB stick. Not only will it bring the stick to a more conveniently accessed position but it's better to wear out an extension socket rather than the built in USB socket on the keyboard through continually plugging in and unplugging  ;)

A 2 into 1 'Y' cable would be even better as it can give you even better access and two USB sticks will automatically be configured as USB1 and USB2 through the 'Y' cable, leaving a spare USB socket free on the keyboard  ;)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 11:03:30 AM by TiasDad »

Offline DanielKeyboard

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2022, 06:01:43 AM »
Daniel,
I would also recommend purchasing a short USB extension cable for the USB stick. Not only will it bring the stick to a more conveniently accessed position but it's better to wear out an extension socket rather than the built in USB socket on the keyboard through continually plugging in and unplugging  ;)

A 2 into 1 'Y' cable would be even better as it can give you even better access and two USB sticks will automatically be configured as USB1 and USB2 through the 'Y' cable, leaving a spare USB socket free on the keyboard  ;)

A Y USB cable? Haha! That's the most genius idea i ever heard! In fact, I've never heard of a Y USB. Its like you turn your SX700 into SX900 with just adding extra USB! What Y cable do you recommend? It could be useful to separate the Mega Styles and the Registration into 2 USB's. I just got paid and I'm saving now for the SX700. It may possibly take me until Jan 26 to get it all together minus the bills, gas and insurance.
~ Daniel C

Offline Lacko

Offline TiasDad

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 09:09:42 AM »
A Y USB cable? Haha! That's the most genius idea i ever heard! In fact, I've never heard of a Y USB. Its like you turn your SX700 into SX900 with just adding extra USB! What Y cable do you recommend? It could be useful to separate the Mega Styles and the Registration into 2 USB's. I just got paid and I'm saving now for the SX700. It may possibly take me until Jan 26 to get it all together minus the bills, gas and insurance.

Ahh it works fine on the SX900, I didn't realise the SX700 only had one usb socket. Even more important to get an extension cable though with only one socket to play with.

Offline DanielKeyboard

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 09:24:52 AM »
Ahh it works fine on the SX900, I didn't realise the SX700 only had one usb socket. Even more important to get an extension cable though with only one socket to play with.

Yea, the SX700 has only 1 USB socket. The Y Cable will make all the difference. :)
~ Daniel C

Offline Divemaster

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 02:07:26 PM »
I too ose the Cruzer blade 16Gb USB sticks. I bought a pack of three of them, in Red, Blue and Green, and find them perfect for everyday use on my brand new SX700. This is my 2nd SX700, so I'm fairly comfortable with it.

From what I read, do I understand that with a Y Cable the USB's would show up as USB 1 and USB 2.  But will only one show up as a data cable (USB1) and the other merely a charging lead?  I have a couple of these leads and they won't show 2 USB's so advice needed please.

Interested in this, as having 2 sticks running off the single USB socket on the SX700 would be a great help.

Also:  DO take the point about using a short extension cable to plug your USB stick into. I wrecked the USB/host socket on my first Tyros by continually overusing it, and it was totally uneconomical to repair. Far better to save wear by having a short cable, thus keeping the instrument USB as new.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 02:17:06 PM by Divemaster »
Yamaha PSR-SX700
Korg Pa5x
Technics SX-PR900 Digital Ensemble Piano
Lenovo M10 Android tablet with Lekato page turner