Author Topic: Is "Power Piano" Pack from Dynamix good for PSR SX?  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Fabiofop

Is "Power Piano" Pack from Dynamix good for PSR SX?
« on: December 25, 2022, 10:07:30 PM »
Hi all,

I´m looking for another good piano sound for PSR SX900 and I´d like to know if someone had some experience with the pack "Power Piano" from Dynamix.

I ask you about this because sometimes samples we hear on sites sound very differen when we play on our Keyboards.

Thank you

Best

Fábio

Re: Is "Power Piano" Pack from Dynamix good for PSR SX?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 10:29:48 PM »
Hi all,

I´m looking for another good piano sound for PSR SX900 and I´d like to know if someone had some experience with the pack "Power Piano" from Dynamix.

I ask you about this because sometimes samples we hear on sites sound very differen when we play on our Keyboards.

Thank you

Best

Fábio

If you want an ultra-realistic piano sound, you should consider to buy an iOS app or VST instrument for PC/Mac. Because there are things like the pedal down samples, key up samples or sympathetic resonance that you just can't do on Yamaha Expansion manager. This piano for example is great and it's now cheaper than the dinamix power grand (only 39 US dollars) https://www.productionvoices.com/product/300-grand-compact/. There are also a lot of free alternative pianos like the Numa Player Piano or the Piano One.

Offline Fabiofop

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 12:15:07 PM »
Hi Rodrigo, thank you very much for your comments and tips.

The following users thanked this post: rodrigo.b

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 12:10:36 AM »
I have the Keyscape and I recommend it highly.

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 11:29:37 PM »
I don’t think the SX is capable of achieving much better pianos sounds. Ipad iOS piano apps getting best reviews on YouTube are Ravenscroft and Pure Piano.
SX900, MODX7+

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 12:28:00 AM »
In reality, you can create an incredible piano sound on your keyboard but it takes some time and effort. Out of the box, the piano sounds are OK at best, but using the all the effects at your disposal, you can probably do better than the highly touted software piano packages.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Fabiofop

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2023, 06:43:12 AM »

Agree, pianos presets and piano packs always seem to sound more realistic in demo videos than when actually playing them. Let us know in this thread how you like the Dynamix piano if you decide to get it. They sound pretty good in the demo video to me. I can tell you I tried the CMS Sounddesign Grand Piano pack for about $70 and found it to be dissappointing but of course pianos are subjective. CMS offers some very nice sounds, but I just feel the SX keyboards/arrangers have limits for being able to reproduce a great realistic piano sound. MODX synths have much better pianos. Ideally, SX owners who are also pianists might look into getting a P515 digital piano or a MODX7 or MODX8 to go with their SX
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 06:48:15 AM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 08:51:46 AM »
p515 is excellent keybed a little heavy, the roland fp90 is also excellent for me the roland has a better keybed

Offline Fabiofop

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2023, 01:04:16 PM »
I bought the power piano for EU 39 and I fell it disappointing!!

The following users thanked this post: johan

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 02:07:14 AM »
Sorry to hear. Gary’s comment in this thread is probably on the right track for achieving a pleasing piano sound using effects. However if one doesn’t know much about programming effects, the task will be harder. Just curious if anyone has specifics on what combination of effects works best. EQ is important as well.
SX900, MODX7+

Offline Ed B

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 03:19:00 AM »
Hi
Take a look at this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-oH4VhEvFs&t=1s
It covers how to achieve the sound you like. We all have our own preferences on what sounds good to us so this video will allow you to get what appeals to you. This is true not only for piano but other instruments as well. For example many demonstrators of strings will use the sustain pedal to create a lush sounding string section. This works in the mid to high range but causes it to be muddy on the low end.
Regards
Ed B
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 03:13:29 AM by Ed B »
Keep on learning

The following users thanked this post: lmederos

Offline Fabiofop

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2023, 12:32:34 PM »
Yes p$manK32 I agree

It will be a good contribution to everyone on this forum if participants can share their experiences about specifics on what combination of effects works best (not only with pianos).

Thanks

F

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2023, 04:17:52 PM »
Fabiofop,

What was it about the Power Piano that was disappointing? Too similar to the preset? Thin?
SX900, MODX7+

Offline lmederos

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2023, 12:08:47 AM »
Hi
Take a look at this video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-oH4VhEvFs&t=1s
It covers how to achieve the sound you like. We all have our own preferences on what sounds good to us so this video will allow you to get what appeals to you. This is true not only for piano but other instruments as well. For example many demonstrators of strings will use the sustain pedal to create a lush sounding string section. This works in the mid to high range but causes it to be muddy on the low end.
Regards
Ed B

this was very helpful !   thank you!   I was able to tweak the Concert Grand in my SX900 to sound better than any pack I had purchased.
-- Luis

PSR-SX900

Offline overover

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2023, 01:51:00 AM »
this was very helpful !   thank you!   I was able to tweak the Concert Grand in my SX900 to sound better than any pack I had purchased.

Hi lmederos,

Yes, with "Voice Edit" (on earlier models called "Voice Set") you can improve almost any voice and adapt it to your own taste. Not to be forgotten in this context is the editing in the Mixer (including Effects).

Please note that there are often several pages per tab in "Voice Edit". I noticed that the guy in the mentioned >>> video never goes to other pages for each tab. In order to have an overview of all editing options, you should (if available) always switch through ALL pages for each tab (1/2 > 2/2, etc.).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)