Author Topic: Best Headset for Yamaha SX900  (Read 1710 times)

DQNINH09@GMAIL.COM

Best Headset for Yamaha SX900
« on: December 22, 2022, 06:18:19 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have the SX900 and using the Yamaha headset CM500 to record my playing + singing.  The CM500 headset is the cheap one, but it has two jacks: one for the headphone, and one for the audio-in (microphone).  The Yamaha female jack inputs are 1/4' for both headphone and audio-in.

I enjoyed playing/singing so much.  However, the cheap CM500 headset is clearly not a good one.  The voice input is not very good.

Can you give me advice?  What is a fair/good/intermediate headset with microphone that I should buy.  Of-course, I don't want to spend a thousand dollars for a real studio professional one.  My budget is limited.

Thanks in advance.

Offline travlin-easy

Re: Best Headset for Yamaha SX900
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 09:47:23 PM »
I use the Marantz MPH2 headphones to monitor my recordings. https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-MPH-2-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B01E75MKRY

For a headset mic I use the Crown CM311A, which is the best  I have found for pure sound quality, feedback resistance and small footprint. However, it is expensive, but at the old saying goes, you only get what you pay for. This mic was designed for Garth Brooks, and he wears it on stage all the time. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CM311A--crown-cm-311a-headworn-microphone

Most of the combination units, mic and head phones combined, are poor quality at best.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2022, 12:52:42 AM »
Would you consider a microphone on a stand rather than a mic on a headset? As Gary noted a good headset mic will likely be expensive and most times headset style mics are used typically for live performance rather than recording.

You could get a microphone and still use the headphones of the CM500 (move the mic part out of the way) and save a bit of money not buying new headphones. The mic could be attached to a boom arm on a mic stand to allow positioning in front of you.

While some here may suggest a Shure mic, such as an SM58, I'll suggest a Sennheiser e835. The e835 is a cardioid pattern mic, which means if you move around a bit while singing the wider pattern of a cardioid mic will be more likely to capture your voice and not fade if you move to the side of the a bit. Secondly the e835 has a high output (more sensitive) so you won't need to turn up the gain on the keyboard as much as you might with a Shure SM58. Thirdly Sennheiser mics sound good.

You would need a microphone cable that is an XLR (female) to 1/4"(6.3mm) TS (tip-sleeve) plug to connect to the SX900.

In this e835 link there is a picture of a girl playing keyboard with a mic on a stand in front of her.....

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Dynamic-Cardioid-Vocal-Microphone/dp/B00006I5R7/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1MKTO6NIM90SG&keywords=e835&qid=1671755836&sprefix=e835%2Caps%2C286&sr=8-1&th=1

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2022, 10:08:29 PM »
I have a Sennheiser E855 handheld mic, which provides outstanding vocal quality and excellent feedback resistance. While it is no longer produced, I did see one on Musicians Friend for $119 in used condition. I originally paid about $400 for mine.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 12:56:38 AM »
I have a Sennheiser e 865-S Supercardioid Condenser Handheld Vocal Microphone with On/Off Switch, which I am very happy with. The voice quality is superb.

You would need a way to provide this microphone with 48 volt volt “phantom power,“ which the SX900 does not seem to have the ability to provide.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline GregB

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 02:15:27 AM »
I also appreciate the remarks about headphones that folks like here.  I've been looking at studio headset options, and this thread is very helpful - thanks!

For mics, I also use a Sennheiser e835.  It's a basic (but good quality) stage mic, not really a studio mic, as I usually do live stuff.  I have the e835S version with a switch on it, which is great for solo work where you don't have a sound technician.  I had some trouble on my last recording project because I did the vocal recording at a higher altitude mountain location, which was a goof on my part for a couple reasons, including that the mic didn't do the best job with the resulting breathiness.

For live work, though, the e835 is a great budget option, better than the Classic SM58 in my opinion.  I honestly prefer a dynamic mic for live work, because if I have to cough or whatnot I can get to the side of the mic and it won't be picked up much.  The condensers I've used, even cardioid / hypercardioid ones, just tend to be more likely to pick that up.

For studio/recording work, consider a large diaphragm condenser with a windscreen you can place in front of it.

- Greg
PSR-S950
PSR-520
1920 Bush & Lane Upright Grand

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2022, 10:38:26 AM »
All good opinions in this thread. I would just like to add...

As a hobbyist, I mostly buy "midrange" (=midpriced) headsets/headphones, mics, etc. Yes, I'm talking in plural, because from my experience, sound quality is only half of the equation: the second half is, how comfortable some headset is on MY head. That is, before deciding, one really need to try them on head.
The one I still use most of the time, is Sennheiser wireless headset (about 170€): sound is good enough for me, but not as good as wired AKG that I also own. Headset mic is not really good (same as on most headsets), but battery life is enormous -which is quite important for wireless headset.
But after about a year, ear cushions/pads literary fell apart and Sennheiser wanted ~30€ for new pair. Now, paying 30€ each year for new pads wasn't an option for me and so I started to look for new headset -where I was ready to pay a bit more, if I find "the right thing".
I tried many headsets (for comfortability).. even 400€ Bose wireless headphones.. and I ended with ~120€ Sony wireless headset. The point being... yes, Bose is high quality, but I don't feel comfortable wearing it for longer period of time! It's the same as with shoes: they either fit or they don't. Means, headset that is perfect for me, is not necessary good for you. It depends on many things: size of outer ear (helix), head shape, is person bald or not, is person wearing eyeglasses, etc.
Btw. how come I still use Sennheiser after buying Sony? I took pads from some cheap headset that I had, and they fit pretty well on Sennheiser (and on my ears).

Just though I share my experience,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Rick D.

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2022, 11:14:48 AM »
I have always liked Bose and the Bose 700's are great headphones, they are wired, bluetooth, and noise cancelling. They aren't cheap. Bluetooth is useless for keyboard use, it is only good for other applications.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/noise_cancelling_headphones/noise-cancelling-headphones-700.html?mc=25_PS_N7_BO_00_GO_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0qTI1o-S_AIVk4XICh3pRwSjEAAYASAAEgKUAPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#v=noise_cancelling_headphones_700_black

Rick D.