Author Topic: Volume, (SWell), and sustain work backwards  (Read 1748 times)

Offline Whino

Volume, (SWell), and sustain work backwards
« on: December 16, 2022, 12:35:43 PM »
Can anyone please help with this problem. The swell pedal wasn't working and the volume stayed at maximum so I purchased a new swell pedal exactly the same as the old one. It is now working "back to front". I.e. if I press the pedal fully down I get zero volume and with it fully raised I get full volume. The sustain pedal is behaving in the same way. Looking at the controller settings it looks OK but even if I change the settings it makes no difference. Can anyone help please? (Tyros 5 - 76 note keyboard, Yamaha EP-1 pedal)
Thanks

Offline EileenL

Re: Volume, (SWell), and sustain work backwards
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 12:57:43 PM »
You need to change the polarity.

Online Bill

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 01:16:01 PM »
Can anyone help please? (Yamaha EP-1 pedal)
Thanks

As Eileen says change the polarity in the tyros settings, however I have not heard of a EP-1 pedal, could you clarify.

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 01:25:58 PM »
You need to reverse the polarity of the pedal.

Normally the keyboard determines the polarity by itself. The only time it doesn’t us when you touch the pedal during startup. Is that what happened?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 01:40:38 PM »
Can anyone please help with this problem. The swell pedal wasn't working and the volume stayed at maximum so I purchased a new swell pedal exactly the same as the old one. It is now working "back to front". I.e. if I press the pedal fully down I get zero volume and with it fully raised I get full volume. The sustain pedal is behaving in the same way. Looking at the controller settings it looks OK but even if I change the settings it makes no difference. Can anyone help please? (Tyros 5 - 76 note keyboard, Yamaha EP-1 pedal)
Thanks

Hi Whino,

The (relatively old) Yamaha EP-1 pedal is only conditionally suitable for use with current Yamaha keyboards. The Yamaha FC7 pedal is recommended.

As far as I know, the EP-1 pedal only has a two-pin connector (TS or RCA) from the factory. However, for use on the Tyros5, the pedal must have a three-pin connector (TRS). Did you buy the EP-1 used? It may have been modified by the previous owner. What plug does it have?

Important: Basically, pedals should be connected before switching on the keyboard, because the polarity is automatically determined when switching on. In addition, no pedal may be pressed during the boot process. If a pedal is plugged in when the keyboard is already running, it can happen that it works "reversed" as you described.

So if your EP-1 pedal has a TRS connector and basically works, but in reverse, you would have to switch the polarity manually: Press the "Direct Access" button and then move the pedal to bring up the settings for the pedal jack used. Now change the polarity here (+ to -  or  - to +, depending on what was previously set), then the pedal should work correctly. Then close the settings display with EXIT.

Important: With the Tyros5, changed Pedal settings must be saved in at least one Registration, since the factory settings for the pedals (as printed next to the pedal jacks) apply with every restart.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 01:50:45 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Whino

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 01:34:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your help. I probably haven't explained the problem correctly. I have had the EP-1 pedal since I had a PSR3000 yeras ago and I have been using it on the Tyros 5 without any problems for years. Recently it stopped working at all so I purchased a nearly new replacement EP-1
Now when fully depressed the sound is off and when fully raised the sound is maximum. I have been into the controller settings and switched the polarity but it makes no difference. If I change + to - or vice versa, the pedal remains "back to front"
It actually has a DIN plug on the end, (as did the old one), and this is plugged into a quarter inch jack plug which, in turn, is plugged into the keyboard.
Does anyone have any other ideas please?

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 02:43:41 PM »
...I have had the EP-1 pedal since I had a PSR3000 yeras ago and I have been using it on the Tyros 5 without any problems for years...
I'm actually surprised how you could properly use EP-1 pedal on Tyros 5... except, if EP-1 pedal was modified.
The thing is, EP-1 isn't compatible with more recent keyboards: EP-1 pedal has 2-pole cinch connector, but Tyros 5 requires 3-pole jack connector. That is, you need FC-7 pedal for Tyros 5.

...It actually has a DIN plug on the end, (as did the old one), and this is plugged into a quarter inch jack plug which, in turn, is plugged into the keyboard...
-this indicates, that your first EP-1 was actually modified: not only connector matters, but also how it's made inside pedal. Take a look at this video (turn on english subtitles).

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2022, 02:59:34 PM »
Does anyone have any other ideas please?

Buy an FC7 pedal.

Cheers,
Fref
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Whino

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 06:15:13 PM »
Can I please take this opportunity to thank everyone for their help. I have ordered an FP7 pedal for £77 from Amazon.
I am completely at a loss to explain how the two pole has worked all these years on several Yamaha keyboards including the Trros 5.
I did look at the video about converting from 2 pole to 3 pole and was tempted as I have an electronics shack and am a licenced radio ham but then I thought "sod it", lets get the proper thing.
Once again many thanks to all of you and have a great Christmas and new Year. :)

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2022, 09:43:01 PM »
The FC7 will work great. Merry Christmas ahd happy playing :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline andyg

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2022, 09:08:36 PM »
And the FC7 is 'built like a brick outhouse', as we (almost) say over here! :) It will last for years and years. And it's chunky and heavy enough to stay where you put it in the floor.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com