Author Topic: converting WAV  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Ken Stenzel

converting WAV
« on: December 15, 2022, 04:43:33 PM »
Can a WAV file be converted to a MIDI file to be able to continue recording the WAV file?
What I am trying to do is reload a WAV file so I can keep recording over what I already have.
Kenneth Stenzel

Offline BogdanH

Re: converting WAV
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 05:02:18 PM »
Can a WAV file be converted to a MIDI file ...?
No, that is not possible.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Online Toril S

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 05:24:04 PM »
You can record a MIDI song, then record the song with the audio recorder while playing along on the keyboard.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 06:53:48 PM »
Can a WAV file be converted to a MIDI file to be able to continue recording the WAV file?
What I am trying to do is reload a WAV file so I can keep recording over what I already have.

Hi Ken,

As already said, a WAV file cannot be converted to a MIDI file. However, you could use the Audio Multi Recording function on the Genos. Here you have two audio tracks (master and sub). For example, you can import an existing WAV file onto the master track and then make another audio recording onto the sub track.

The best thing to do is to first read the "Audio Multi Recording" chapter in the Genos Reference Manual, starting on page 96, to see what options you have.

If you don't have the current Reference Manual (V2.10), you can download it from the Genos download page:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 07:30:42 PM »
You can’t convert to a midi but you can overdub in the Audio Recorder. That should do what you want.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 12:10:15 AM »
Hi Ken --

The ability to click on a WAV file and, voila!, MIDI, is well-beyond mainstream technology. There are ways to convert simple WAV file stems (i.e., individual instrument parts) using Celemony Melodyne or similar tool. However, even Melodyne, etc. require a lot of hand tuning. Probably not what you're looking for.

Other folks mentioned Multi Audio Recording. This is absolutely one of my favorite tools on Genos. The simplicity and workflow are ideal for "Les Paul sound on sound" recording. It has features for WAV import and export. I bounce WAV audio files between Genos and Cubase that way.

Hope this info helps -- pj
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 02:16:57 AM by pjd »

Offline SciNote

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2022, 04:18:55 AM »

If I understand correctly, it sounds like the end-result of what you want to do is take your existing WAV file and just continue to add additional background tracks to it.  If that's the case, any DAW, like Audacity, should be able to do that.  Just load your existing WAV file as one stereo track (assuming you are recording in stereo), and then just use the DAW to record yourself playing additional stereo tracks that go along with the original one that you loaded.  When you're done recording the additional tracks, you can mix all the tracks down to one stereo track, and then save it as a new WAV or MP3 file.

When you do this, sometimes there is something called latency, where the processing time the computer needs to record your tracks causes the end result to not be truly in time/sync with the original track.  But if this happens, the DAW should have a way to easily adjust the time alignment of any track you record by essentially adjusting exactly when your new recorded track starts playing so you can make it in sync when it plays along with the original track.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios