Author Topic: Mic to auxinput Sx900  (Read 919 times)

Offline mhack

Mic to auxinput Sx900
« on: December 14, 2022, 02:34:34 AM »
What are the correct cables from Shure sm58s to small audio mixer, then out of mixer to auxinput on SX900? I am thinking female XLR from mic to unbalanced 1/4 plug to audio mixer input; then XLR to 3.55 mm to aux input. Is there a 3.55 mm unbalanced plug? Thanks.
My No. 1 mic is Shure SM58s connected to female XLR and then unbalanced 1/4 inch plug into Mic In on Sx.

Offline overover

Re: Mic to auxinput Sx900
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2022, 04:56:52 AM »
Hi Mike,

Have you read my PM reply yet? There I already mentioned the necessary cables for connecting an external mixer to the AUX IN jack (= 3.5mm stereo mini jack) of the SX900 or to the MIC IN (6.3mm mono jack).

It depends on how the mixer's Master outputs are implemented: If there are only XLR male sockets, you need a cable with two XLR female connectors on the mixer end and a 3.5mm stereo mini jack plug (Mini TRS) on the SX900 end.

If the mixer (also) has 6.3mm Master output jacks, use a cable with two 6.3mm mono jack plugs (TS) at the mixer end and, as mentioned, a 3.5mm stereo mini jack plug (Mini TRS) at the SX900 end.

To connect the mixer to the SX900's MIC IN, use only ONE Master output channel of the mixer, either Left or Right. Depending on how the Master outputs of the mixer are designed, you then need either an unbalanced "XLR female to 6.3mm mono jack plug (TS)" cable or an unbalanced standard "TS to TS" cable.

To connect the microphones to the external mixer, I recommend standard balanced microphone cables, i.e. "XLR female to XLR male". These can also be a little longer, since XLR mic inputs on mixers are always BALANCED. If you want to use existing unbalanced "XLR female to 6.3 mm mono jack plug (TS)" cables, you must ensure that the relevant 6.3mm input jacks on the external mixer can actually be used to connect microphones. Some mixers have 6.3mm input jacks in the microphone channels in addition to the XLR sockets, but the 6.3mm inputs are intended as LINE inputs (they have a much lower sensitivity and at the same time a much too high impedance, so that you cannot connect microphones there).

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline mhack

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2022, 03:05:56 PM »
Chris,
I apologize for my confusing question. I think I understand now. Just one more question: does the mini plug going into the AUX IN port on rear of keyboard have to be an Unbalanced plug? Thanks for your patience.

Mike

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 04:06:00 PM »
Chris,
I apologize for my confusing question. I think I understand now. Just one more question: does the mini plug going into the AUX IN port on rear of keyboard have to be an Unbalanced plug? Thanks for your patience.

Mike

Hi Mike,

As already mentioned several times, the AUX IN socket is a 3.5mm STEREO mini jack. So you need a 3.5mm Mini TRS plug (as with many headphones).

From an electrical point of view, the wiring is unbalanced, because the three contacts (Tip, Ring and Sleeve) are required for the signal left, signal right and common ground.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 04:08:31 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: mhack