Author Topic: GENOS with L1 PRO8 song style  (Read 2148 times)

Offline JohnH

GENOS with L1 PRO8 song style
« on: December 13, 2022, 03:23:46 PM »
Who's got the style set-up   for    the song    STAYN ALIVE---beegees        THANKS     Fun to watch YouTube all these young people dancing to that tune   makes me fell young-- HA ------THANKS!!    8)

Offline Oymmot

Re: GENOS with L1 PRO8 song style
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 04:59:18 PM »
Use a midi file instead, it will be 1000 times better and there are plenty to find on the Internet for free. The only thing that could be a disadvantage is that you can't do as you want without following the recording
Tommy
Tommy Ölin
E-post: tommy.sune.olin@gmail.com

Offline Drsun19

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 05:09:15 PM »
I have it.

Write to me

sunkey19@gmail.com

Luis.
Genos, Montage 7, Alesis Vortex Wireless 2, IMac 32Gb RAM, Lenovo Legion i7, Yamaha DXR 12, Cubase 10.5, Sample Robot, Style Magic YA, Keyscape, Omnisphere.

tyrosman

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 03:10:03 PM »
any Disco style on Genos will do for this song

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 08:11:17 PM »
I used to do this one with a Disco style as well. I can't seem to find it. Perhaps I archived to my PC. I'll look.

The most difficult part is not the rhythm. It's getting the guitar parts right to mimic the original. The MIDI file would have the string swells that were so typical of the era. Keep in mind, you're not asking for a simple folk or country background. You need most of the instrument parts playing as they did in the original. The band was likely 20+ pieces. Anything less will sound cheap. That's probably why we dropped it from our list.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 09:10:54 PM »
Completely agree with you about this one, Lee.
Certain music/songs just can't be played by single player on single keyboard and "Stayin' alive" is an perfect example of that. I can imagine it would be possible if most of the music would actually be a backing track... but in that case, what's the point?
Another option would be, if someone decides to make a "cover" of the song, where base rhythm is kept (so it's recognizable), however instrumental arrangement is totally different (adapted to keyboard playing). We can hear many covers of popular music & songs and it can even happen, that "modern" cover is "better" than original -not often, though.
Just thinking aloud here.. I leave that to more talented than I am  :)
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 10:02:54 PM »
Certainly as an instrumental arranger solo, but then many songs, especially up tempo, just don’t work as arranger solos. With a vocal though, and a good style, the arranger player can do a decent job because he has hands free to provide the extra bits.
Mike

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2022, 12:35:55 PM »
Thanks Bogdan and Mike. John, there are three basic ways to approach any song (more if anyone else wants to chime in).

Tribute version
The song is reproduced to about 95% of the original, including tempo and key. Even the vocals are sang as close to the original voice inflections as possible. Very little variation is allowed.

Cover version
The song is performed with great freedom. The artist can do almost anything he or she wants with the song providing it remains recognizable. You may even find that your interpretation is liked by some more than the original. This would work best for your song using one of the Disco styles from the Genos.

Hybrid version
A combination of the first two. The same latitude is used to create a Cover version but certain signature lines must be retained. The best example I can think of is I Saw Her Standing There by the Beatles. We do this one in our jazz trio! I'm on piano and there is a bass player and drummer. Sounds crazy, right? It is. I'm playing the rhythm guitar part by John Lennon and the solo part by George Harrison on piano. What makes the song work on stage is the signature bass line that Paul McCartney invented for the song. Our bass player spent two years on a cruise ship playing in a Beatles tribute band and was required to learn McCartney's bass lines note for note for every song! Despite me hacking out the guitar parts on piano, the song works because our bass player keeps the song on the tracks with that famous McCartney bass line from the song. People love our interpretation. Another example is Superstition by Stevie Wonder. He used four keyboard parts in the original but I'm only one player. I do the primary licks but our drummer plays the drum parts exactly how Stevie Wonder's drummer did.

(Interesting fact When Stevie Wonder first recorded that song, he couldn't get the interpretation he wanted from the musicians who worked for him. He ended up recording the entire song on keyboard HIMSELF! He eventually found suitable players for the concert versions.)
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

The following users thanked this post: maartenb

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 02:05:14 PM »
Lee
I agree, include the basic iconic riffs and a reasonable version and that is enough for most non-tribute situations. Like the intro to ‘my girl’ , or the bass part you mention. One thing I would add is that the closer you want to get to a perfect copy of the original, the more important the vocal. I see some people on this forum spending huge amounts of time thinking about the exact guitar sound or string sound of some iconic pop song - then produce it without the vocal. To me that is missing the point.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2022, 02:20:40 PM »

Offline pjd

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2022, 12:31:16 AM »
(Interesting fact When Stevie Wonder first recorded that song, he couldn't get the interpretation he wanted from the musicians who worked for him. He ended up recording the entire song on keyboard HIMSELF! He eventually found suitable players for the concert versions.)

Lee's comment made me think of Steely Dan bringing in set after set of the best studio musicians to achieve some sonic vision in their heads. Or, the latter-stage Brian Wilson.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2022, 03:44:49 AM »
I start every custom song style by hunting done the Drum pattern first and find or make the needed Break pattern required for the song. Then find or make the Bass pattern for the song. With those two important parts in place, I know I can finish the style and have a great sounding style.

The Piano, Guitar and Horns that would be needed to fill out the style are pretty easy to find some where among the Yamaha styles on every keyboard.

The last item to complete the style is to figure out and play the signature licks that make the song stand out in the first place. Some times I can embed them into the style. If not, then I note them out on my lead sheet in Number Code so I can play them live.

Regards
Drake