Author Topic: Two Mics SX900  (Read 1889 times)

Offline mhack

Two Mics SX900
« on: December 12, 2022, 02:47:07 PM »
Can I use a Y-cable, 1/4 inch TS male to dual 1/4 inch female to Mic In on SX900, and use both of my SM58S mics for recording to keyboard?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 03:32:42 PM by mhack »

Offline overover

Re: Two Mics SX900
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 04:34:43 PM »
Can I use a Y-cable, 1/4 inch TS male to dual 1/4 inch female to Mic In on SX900, and use both of my SM58S mics? ...

Hi mhack,

In theory
you could use a Y-cable like this to run two mics on one mic input at the same time, but it's not recommended. In this case, the two microphones influence each other. If you turn off one of the mics using the built-in switch, the other one is also muted. The output impedance of the SM58, which is already relatively low at 300 ohms, is halved when two microphones are connected in parallel, which is also not ideal. And of course you can't control volume, EQ and effects separately either.

It should also be considered that there are often contact problems with 1/4 inch (6.3 mm) female cable jacks (which can lead to clicks or dropouts when used with microphones). If you want to accept the disadvantages described above, I recommend at least using normal (XLR female to XLR male) micro cables and connecting them to the SX900 via a "XLR female *2 to 1/4 inch TS plug" Y-cable to connect.

However, my general recommendation is to use an additional small external Mixer, preferably with built-in effects.

By the way, you could also connect one mic to the SX900 in the normal way and connect the second mic to the SX900's AUX IN via a small external mixer.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 04:43:19 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline mhack

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 06:02:49 PM »
Thanks, Chris! Any suggestions for small mixer with effects? No rush.
Merry Christmas!
Mike

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 08:03:04 PM »
Thanks, Chris! Any suggestions for small mixer with effects? No rush.
Merry Christmas!
Mike

Hi Mike,

I would definitely NOT buy a Behringer. Here is a selection of small mixers with 2 mic inputs and effects that I would shortlist:
>>> https://www.thomann.de/de/analogmixer.html

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 08:04:52 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Bruce Breen

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 08:24:51 PM »
I have used a 1/4" Y-adapter to put two dynamic mikes into my S-950 for a few years now, and have had no problem...not even with the on/off switches (and they are not the same makes, although they are similar in spec).
People have made announcements and sung with me while I was singing - without issue.

However, If you try this and it doesn't work then you will probably need to find a small exterior mixer as already discussed.

Also, FYI, I have just read online that condenser mics will not work. And the on/off switches must match as well (mine happen to).
Here is what I read: "the switches on the microphones must be of the Normally Open type. If any microphone uses a Normally Closed switch, it will short out all of the microphones that are connected together and none of the mics will operate."
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 09:48:10 PM by Bruce Breen »
Bruce Breen
playing a PSR-S950, PSR-2100 & Piano Accordion

Offline mhack

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 10:40:05 PM »
I appreciate the comments/advice! I also use AT-2035 with phantom power that I can use when recording Christmas songs with my youngest granddaughter. 180 degree coverage so I can get my voice heard in harmonizing. I do like the SM 58 for getting closer. Thanks again!
Mike

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 12:45:12 AM »
Even if it works, if you use a Y connector there is no separate volume or processing control. This is normally desirable because of differences in voice volume, voice tone, mic response, mic positioning etc. So a mixer is usually best.
Mike

Offline mhack

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 02:15:38 AM »
Friends,
I will most likely add a mixer for the second SM58S. I need a mic up close so I don’t have to strain my rather weakened vocal apparatus. Thanks you much and Merry Christmas to all!
Mike

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2022, 08:40:04 PM »
The main problem using a Y connector and two mics is impedance mismatching, which usually results in distortion. A small mixer will do the job nicely and not a great deal of expense or difficulty in making the connection.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Enildo

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 03:53:33 PM »
Yes it is possible to use!
I've been using it since my s970 with no problems!
You must use two identical microphones.
I know that connected with a mix is a little better, but it will be more equipment to keep carrying around. Plus more cables, power supplies, rack to support the mix, etc.
My advice: test it first with a Y-cable and then if you don't like it, buy the mix.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

The following users thanked this post: Bruce Breen, mhack

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 06:19:04 PM »
Over the years I've acquired more than a few mixers and while a few folks may not like Behringer mixers or their other gear, I have several Behringer mixers for different purposes, one of which I bought used some 21 years ago and still gets used frequently. A couple newer Behringer mixers I own have effects and/or USB so it can be used as an interface with a computer. These work well and have never presented any issues. To me they are budget friendly and perfectly good for home use. Better mixers can be bought, but the price goes up depending on the the brand name.
That said, I also have two mixers that I use for gigging, a Yamaha MG06X and an MG10XU depending if I'm solo or with someone else. Both the Yamaha mixers I got used from members on a guitar forum. Used or demo/open box from a retailer can save a bit of money.

If you happen to be in the US, this is a very good mixer at a demo price. Simple, basic effects, but usually wouldn't need much more than reverb. A full 48 volts phantom for condenser mics (some budget mixers only have 15-18 volts which may not be enough for some condenser mics)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MG06X--yamaha-mg06x-6-channel-mixer-with-effects?cond=MG06Xd4

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2022, 08:57:17 PM »
I'll 1-up the mixer suggestion to say if you can put a little more money in the mixer, the Allen & Heath ZED10FX is a great mini mixer. I have one and it's a very useful kit.