Author Topic: Too many files  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Apollo292

Too many files
« on: December 11, 2022, 03:38:26 PM »
Hi all.
Has this question been asked before on here?
Cant Proceed.
Too many files are contained in one folder.
If it has I will search for it,if not could someone let me know what it means, and what I need to do please.
Thank you.
Regards
Daryl
Complete  Instructions to rectify it please.thanks

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Too many files
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 04:02:28 PM »
Has this question been asked before on here?
Cant Proceed.
Too many files are contained in one folder.
If it has I will search for it,if not could someone let me know what it means, and what I need to do please.
Complete  Instructions to rectify it please.thanks

It means you have too many files in the folder.

The maximum number of files/folder on a Tyros 5 is 500. The easy solution is to divide up your files into subfolders of fewer than 500/folder. For best operation of your keyboard, keep the number of files to less than 250.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Apollo292

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 09:02:59 PM »
Hi Fred.
Thanks for your reply.
Do I just make new folder on my HDD and cut and paste files into these new folders?
cheers
Daryl

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 09:58:25 PM »
Yes, it's a fairly straight forward process.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 10:08:43 PM »
Hi Fred.
Thanks for your reply.
Do I just make new folder on my HDD and cut and paste files into these new folders?
cheers
Daryl

Hi Daryl,

You may no longer be able to access the folder in question directly on the T5, so that you can no longer move files from it to another folder with CUT > PASTE.

I recommend you to use the USB Storage Mode.

To do this, connect the USB-to-HOST terminal of the T5 to your computer (PC or Mac) using a USB type "AB" cable ("printer cable"). Then restart the T5 with the MUSIC FINDER button pressed. After a short time, the T5 hard disk should be displayed as a new drive in Windows Explorer or in the Mac Finder. Now you can access it from the computer and move the desired files so that the maximum number of 500 files per folder is not exceeded. (Ideally, you work with no more than 100 files per folder, otherwise you will have a lot of pages per folder on the T5 and an unnecessarily large number of clicks will be necessary to select a specific file.)

By the way, USB Storage Mode cannot be used to access the T5 User drive. If you can no longer access a certain folder in the T5 User drive because there are too many files in it, I only know of two ways to solve the problem:

1. Using the Yamaha "MusicSoft Downloader" program (with the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver installed). This allows you to access the T5 User drive from a PC (not Mac!).

2. Reformatting the User drive (all data in User drive will be lost!)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 10:12:10 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Apollo292

Offline Apollo292

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 08:21:49 PM »
Hi Chris,
Thank you for taking the time to explain in detail how to sort the issue I have with too many files,
I very much appreciate your help.
Thanks again,and seasons greeting to you and your family,
Regards
Daryl

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 09:26:48 PM »
You're welcome, Daryl! Thanks for your kind feedback. :)

All the best,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Apollo292

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 01:24:43 PM »
Hi Chris,
Going on from my too many files problem,I wasn't sure how I needed to proceed after connecting my T5 to my PC so I thought I would get in touch with Yamaha Technical Support
But Now I am totally baffled.
I have posted the reply from Daniel Watt if anybody can make sense of what Daniel is saying please let me know.
I don't really want to delete files,of cause a problem with registrations.
So if anybody reading this has done this exercise before [please let me know how to do it,or if there is a You Tube that might help let me know please.
If you have connected your Tyros 5 to a computer in this way then the only way to resolve this issue would be to delete some of the files from the folder where you are experiencing this issue. Moving them to another location on the Tyros5 while connected to a computer can cause issues with the Registration Memories so please do not move them to a new folder.

This message usually only appears if you have the maximum number of files with in a folder, deleting some files while connected to a computer in this way may resolve the issue.

I hope this helps and thank you for contacting Yamaha Music Europe GmbH (UK). 

Kind Regards

Daniel Watt FLCM

Thanks everyone.
regards
Daryl

Yamaha Customer Service and Supp

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 01:56:33 PM »
Hi Chris,
Going on from my too many files problem,I wasn't sure how I needed to proceed after connecting my T5 to my PC so I thought I would get in touch with Yamaha Technical Support
But Now I am totally baffled.
I have posted the reply from Daniel Watt if anybody can make sense of what Daniel is saying please let me know.
I don't really want to delete files,of cause a problem with registrations.
So if anybody reading this has done this exercise before [please let me know how to do it,or if there is a You Tube that might help let me know please.
If you have connected your Tyros 5 to a computer in this way then the only way to resolve this issue would be to delete some of the files from the folder where you are experiencing this issue. Moving them to another location on the Tyros5 while connected to a computer can cause issues with the Registration Memories so please do not move them to a new folder.

This message usually only appears if you have the maximum number of files with in a folder, deleting some files while connected to a computer in this way may resolve the issue.

I hope this helps and thank you for contacting Yamaha Music Europe GmbH (UK).

Kind Regards

Daniel Watt FLCM

Thanks everyone.
regards
Daryl

Yamaha Customer Service and Supp

You don’t have to delete any files. Just move some to another folder.

You can move registrations with impunity. Just don’t move the files (styles, etc.) that registrations refer to.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 02:17:54 PM »
Try to keep the folders to around 350 to 400 in each.
If these are styles you are moving and you have used them in registration banks then What Daniel says makes sense and you will need to relink some to your registrations to any styles you move.

Offline Apollo292

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2022, 02:47:42 PM »
Hi Eileen and Fred.
From Daniels reply its a bit scary as he says"If you have connected your Tyros 5 to a computer in this way then the only way to resolve this issue would be to delete some of the files from the folder where you are experiencing this issue. Moving them to another location on the Tyros5 while connected to a computer can cause issues with the Registration Memories so please do not move them to a new folder.

The problem occurs every time I want to go into the Hard drive in the style section.
Do I go into the Style section on the computer and create new folders?
Sorry if I am not getting to grips with this,I don't want to mess up and have to send the keyboard away to get it rectified.
Thank you both for your kind assistance.
regards
Daryl

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2022, 04:21:05 PM »
Hi Eileen and Fred.
From Daniels reply its a bit scary as he says"If you have connected your Tyros 5 to a computer in this way then the only way to resolve this issue would be to delete some of the files from the folder where you are experiencing this issue. Moving them to another location on the Tyros5 while connected to a computer can cause issues with the Registration Memories so please do not move them to a new folder.

The problem occurs every time I want to go into the Hard drive in the style section.
Do I go into the Style section on the computer and create new folders?
Sorry if I am not getting to grips with this,I don't want to mess up and have to send the keyboard away to get it rectified.
Thank you both for your kind assistance.
regards
Daryl

Can’t say any more than I already did. I move, copy, delete, rename from my computer all the time without any problems. Partly, of course, because I know the rules.

You can move registration files anywhere, and they will still work. Don’t move/delete/rename files that registrations refer to.

First thing you do is copy ALL of your files to your computer. Then you’ll have a backup if any goes wrong.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2022, 04:43:10 PM »
Hi Daryl,

In my first post above I had already described everything that was needed in detail:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=64820.msg492175#msg492175

So please connect the T5 to the (switched on) PC using a USB cable and then start the T5 in USB Storage Mode as described. Then open Windows Explorer on the PC (e.g. by pressing "Windows" key + "E"). After a short time, the T5 hard drive is displayed in Explorer as a new/additional drive. Click on this new drive icon to view the contents of the T5 hard drive. Now navigate to each individual folder/subfolder and check (e.g. via the corresponding information in the status bar of the Explorer window) how many files and subfolders are in each folder. As I said, a maximum of 500 files per folder are allowed.

Important: Each subfolder also counts as ONE file! For folders where this "500 files limit" is exceeded, you definitely have to act, i.e. either delete contained files or (better) move some files to another (existing or newly created) folder.

Basically it is best if you work with a maximum of 100 files per folder, then you can call up the files on the T5 with relatively few clicks. With more than 400 files, you run the risk, as happened in your case, of exceeding the 500 files limit at some point and thus losing file access on the T5 again.

You can do everything I just described from the PC.

P.S.
You could also use Michael Besesem's "FolderCheck" program:
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/MB/foldercheck.html

But if you don't have an extremely large number of folders on your T5 hard disk, I think it's completely sufficient to check them manually in Windows Explorer as originally described and to "clean them up" if necessary.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 04:55:03 PM by overover »

Offline Apollo292

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2022, 08:04:10 PM »
Thank you Fred and Chris,
I will give it a go,and update you on here.
I wish everyone a very Happy and safe New year
Regards
Daryl

Offline Apollo292

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2023, 09:12:46 PM »
Happy New year Eileen,Chris Fred and everyone on the Forum.
I have used Michael Bedesem’s Foldercheck program and split the folder that had 774 files in it
I now have 4 folders HDD1 2 3 4
There are 198 files in three folders and 168 in the 4th.
How do I load them back in the keyboard please.
Sorry to be a pain but not done anything like this before I am a bit wary
Best regards
Daryl.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2023, 10:05:58 PM »
Happy New year Eileen,Chris Fred and everyone on the Forum.
I have used Michael Bedesem’s Foldercheck program and split the folder that had 774 files in it
I now have 4 folders HDD1 2 3 4
There are 198 files in three folders and 168 in the 4th.
How do I load them back in the keyboard please.
Sorry to be a pain but not done anything like this before I am a bit wary
Best regards
Daryl.

Same way: use "USB Storage Mode" (Poweron + Music Finder) to connect to your PC. Now the hard drive looks like an external drive to the computer. Use your files program to copy the folders back.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline EileenL

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2023, 11:53:57 PM »
Hello Daryl,
  You can just copy the folders back onto your user section. Make sure you have pressed style first then go to USB stick. Press Copy first and then select all four folders Press Copy here and select User and copy.

Offline Apollo292

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2023, 02:56:01 PM »
Thank you Eileen and Fred for your kind assistance.
Eileen do I connect the keyboard the usual way Music Finder Pressed then board switched on?
You say "Make sure you have pressed style first then go to USB stick"
I have the 4 folders on my c drive no USB stick,when do I press the Style.
Thank you for your time.
I appreciate it very much
best regards
Daryl

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2023, 11:48:00 AM »
I always use USB sticks for transferring to my keyboard so you will need to use Fred's way.

Offline Apollo292

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2023, 03:47:28 PM »
Hi guys.
I am having to give up on this problem,I am just going round in circles,I have tried the suggestions offered but to no avail.
I will have to get it to the dealer to have a go at it,too frustrated now.
Thanks once again to try and help me.
Happy New Year to you all