Author Topic: External Display of Tab Sheets  (Read 2368 times)

Offline rick76

External Display of Tab Sheets
« on: December 10, 2022, 09:52:04 PM »
I have saved text files of chords/lyrics sheets into song registrations.
The problem is that it takes 3 screens to get the whole song. It looks like
It can’t be indexed with a foot pedal, only pushing a button on the I term display.

Does anyone know of a way to mitigate?

Re: External Display of Tab Sheets
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 10:00:33 PM »
Use an external device like an iPad or Android. The Genos display is not even house broken when it comes to this requirement. The OS allows you to display these files but the screen is way too small. I think you can use a foot pedal to toggle though multiple windows of text on the Genos, but both my feet are involved in a more useful function - creating music!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 10:49:58 PM »
I have saved text files of chords/lyrics sheets into song registrations.
The problem is that it takes 3 screens to get the whole song. It looks like
It can’t be indexed with a foot pedal, only pushing a button on the I term display.

Does anyone know of a way to mitigate?

I’ve spent a lot of time on this. Sadly, there’s no pedal function for Lyrics Page+. There is a midi sysex but I could never get it to work.

My solution was to put each page in its own file. Then use registrations to load the appropriate file.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 12:17:01 AM »
Hi Rick and Fred,

I just checked the Genos Reference Manual (for Genos V2.10, filename "genos_en_rm_h0"): According to the description on page 137, you can assign the "Text Viewer Page +/-" functions (found in the "Song" category), both to Assignable Buttons and to Pedals. Please also see attached screenshot.

By the way, in order to call up a certain text page directly with a Registration, you would have to split the text file in question into several individual files (e.g. Songname_1.txt, Songname_2.txt, Songname_3.txt) and include them in the desired registrations.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 03:53:59 AM »
I just checked the Genos Reference Manual (for Genos V2.10, filename "genos_en_rm_h0"): According to the description on page 137, you can assign the "Text Viewer Page +/-" functions (found in the "Song" category), both to Assignable Buttons and to Pedals. Please also see attached screenshot.

By the way, in order to call up a certain text page directly with a Registration, you would have to split the text file in question into several individual files (e.g. Songname_1.txt, Songname_2.txt, Songname_3.txt) and include them in the desired registrations.

You’re right, Chris. Text Page+ can be assigned to a pedal, but I could never get the timing right on switching registrations and/or text.

What I really want is to store Text Page+ in a registration but I could never achieve that. Loading a file is slower than Page+, and is noticeable at times.

I number my files as you suggest.

Cheers,
Fred
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 04:03:53 PM by Fred Smith »
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 12:43:55 PM »
All good ideas fellas but the screen is still too small and completely useless in certain lighting conditions all because it doesn't tilt likes its predecessor in the T5.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 01:02:38 PM »
All good ideas fellas but the screen is still too small and completely useless in certain lighting conditions all because it doesn't tilt likes its predecessor in the T5.

We don’t display lyrics on the keyboards screen. We display them on an external monitor.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2022, 01:11:10 PM »
Same here, Fred. I also use an external display (Android) for chord charts. The Genos display is just too small.

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 01:43:16 PM »
You’re right, Chris. Text Page+ can be assigned to a pedal, but I could never get the timing tight on switching registrations and/or text.

What I really want is to store Text Page+ in a registration but I could never achieve that. Loading a file is slower than Page+, and is noticeable at times. ...

Thanks for your feedback Fred!

I hadn't dealt with the "Send 'Text Page+' command via Registration" problem before. If I find out anything about this, I'll let you know.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 03:01:17 PM »
I've been using SongBookPro (Android tablet version) for lyrics and chords when playing guitar and it works well. The lyrics can be set to auto scroll through the lyrics or pages can be incremented using a bluetooth footswitch. A well thought out app that has a lot of features I haven't even tried yet.

https://songbook-pro.com/

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2022, 03:36:41 PM »
I may give that a try, Mark. It's cheap!!

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2022, 01:23:14 AM »
Mobilesheets is another good app that you can change the page in seceral ways.

Russ

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

Offline rick76

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2022, 02:34:18 PM »
Thanks to everyone's reply.

I have tried an external monitor. I only get the same format on the external monitor.
It's the same screen content/size as on the internal monitor.

On my Old Tyros 5, karaoke files would scroll line. That worked great, but wasn't for every song.

Oh well, I think I'm going to get an iPad Pro and use On Song.

Thanks to all for your help. This site and you guys are Great.

Many thanks:

thanks,thanks,thanks,thanks,thanks,thanks

Rick

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2022, 03:40:37 PM »

I have tried an external monitor. I only get the same format on the external monitor.
It's the same screen content/size as on the internal monitor.

I displayed my text files on a 50" TV this year. Worked great. Everyone could see the lyrics easily.

What did you use to connect the Genos to the external monitor? I use a Diamond 2.0 USB Display Adaptor.

Cheers,
Fred

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline rick76

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2022, 08:08:42 PM »
Hi Fred.

I used the same