Author Topic: Using a Mic Plugged Into SX900  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Bernie9

Using a Mic Plugged Into SX900
« on: December 09, 2022, 03:32:41 PM »
I have always used a mic plugged into my mixer, but this stage is so small I don't want anymore equipment than necessary. My concern is a high pitched constant subtle ringing sound that people sometimes complained about. It is not the same as howling feedback I can avoid by changing position of my Bose Compact.  I suspect a gain set too high. Since I have never used the mic direct, I wonder if a mixer is preferable.

The second question is: The keyboard and mic volume are tied together with my FC7 pedal, with no separate adjustment, save going into settings, which I may not have time for. Obviously, a mixer would provide this if I had to.

Offline mikf

Re: Using a Mic Plugged Into SX900
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 08:32:24 PM »
The keyboard essentially acts as a mixer, because you have separate control over mic volume on the keyboard, along with control of volume of most other channels like accompaniment and voices via the mixer screen. And using a separate mixer means you cannot use mic effects on the keyboard like echo and harmony So I don’t see much benefit in a separate mixer, but some people like it.
Also, most people would not use the FC7 pedal to control overall keyboard volume, which is easily done with the keyboard volume knob. Usually you leave that set once you get it right and use the FC7 pedal plugged directly into the keyboard and set to control lead voices volume. Then it would not affect mic volume.
Mike
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 09:01:41 PM by mikf »

Offline Bernie9

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 10:20:09 AM »
Thank you Mike

Under menu/assignable. I am not finding "lead voices volume" under pedal 1&2. I did find that  "Live Control"/song-keyboard volume" is one way, if not the best.

Bernie

Offline Enildo

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 11:17:44 AM »
Hi Bernie

Adjust the microphone volume on the back knob, on the "out" output of the microphone settings and on the microphone's Mixer/EQ.
How do I use mine?
* Back button volume: 3pm
* Volume OUT of Mic settings: 100
* Mixer/EQ volume: 64
The settings will change a little more or less depending on the microphone.
I like to use one of the Knobs, which are close to the Joystick (Pitch bend), as microphone volume. Every time I turn on the keyboard I fiddle with them a bit and leave it at 12pm to reset the Mixer/EQ volume to 64. If I need to turn the volume up or down a bit, I use the Knob to do that. I use all my VH settings with the mixer volume at 64. As for the back button volumes and the "OUT" volume of the general Mic settings, there's no need to keep changing them.

I've been using the mic directly on the keyboard for a few years without any quality issues. By the way, I use a "Y" cable, to have two microphones connected.

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 12:05:08 PM »
Thank you Mike

Under menu/assignable. I am not finding "lead voices volume" under pedal 1&2. I did find that  "Live Control"/song-keyboard volume" is one way, if not the best.

Bernie

Hi Bernie,

Mike probably meant the Right parts when he said "lead voices".

I recommend that you only tick the boxes for Parts Right1, Right2 and Right3 (i.e. untick all other Parts) in the Assignable display for the relevant pedal set to "Volume". In your registrations, it is best to set the volumes for the Right parts a little louder than you actually need, so that you have some volume reserve later when controlling with the pedal.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 12:06:20 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)