Author Topic: Extracting extension packages to individual files  (Read 2437 times)

Extracting extension packages to individual files
« on: November 28, 2022, 11:25:13 AM »
Hello, I would like to know how to disassemble/extract the Yamaha expansion packages {what is available for free download on the Yamaha website} into individual sound files. I tried to do this with the expansion manager software and failed...

Offline EileenL

Re: Extracting extension packages to individual files
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 11:28:33 AM »
You can not do this with official Yamaha packs. If you don't want certain voices to load into your keyboard, then just tick the voices you don't require in YEM and they will not be loaded.

Offline Misu

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 12:57:17 PM »
Hi,

What Eileen says is only valid for CPF coded packs.
From all PPF un-coded Packs, you can select any voice you want: Export as pack and import in a new pack.
The difference is that you won't be able to see the MSB position in the new pack except in the keyboard, as it is fixed by Yamaha.(Ex 48.002)
The advantage is that the MSB positions for users (ex.63.002) in the newly created pack remain empty, so you will be able to have more than 128 voices/pack.
Normally, the management of the original Yamaha voices, with a lock on the icon, should not overlap, but if it happens, you must give up one.

Regards!
PSR SX-900; PA 1000; AKX 10

Offline Pityus

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 04:03:03 PM »
There are packs with good and new sounds.
Is it possible to extract these sounds from several packs
and use them for other styles not in the pack?

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 04:14:12 PM »
Hello, I would like to know how to disassemble/extract the Yamaha expansion packages {what is available for free download on the Yamaha website} into individual sound files. I tried to do this with the expansion manager software and failed...

You tried this on another thread with the preset voices. You *cannot* extract the sample waves out of either the Genos preset memory, or the expansion packs. It's just not possible.
Genos

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 04:35:42 PM »
@Pityus
Yes, that is possible. Inside YEM, you select voices (of various packs) which you wish to use and save as Pack install file, and finally install that pack on keyboard. When you create new style (or modify existing one), you can pick desired voice in Expansion section. Of course, if you use such style later, you need to make sure that used voices are also installed.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: Pityus

Offline Pityus

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 05:33:07 PM »
I select these sounds from several packs and then install
them on the instrument as a separate pack.
Can I then use it to replace the sound of a factory style (OTS)
as long as this pack is installed on the instrument?

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 05:54:53 PM »
Yes, you can use those installed sounds in custom styles (either as accompaniment voices or as OTS voices).
I said "custom" styles! The thing is, officially, you can't modify built-in styles. First you need to save built-in style on USB, "unlock" it on PC, and then load back into keyboard. But if you create your own style on keyboard, then you can modify it at will, of course.

Bogdan

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 06:05:30 PM »
Off topic

I select these sounds from several packs and then install
them on the instrument as a separate pack.
Can I then use it to replace the sound of a factory style (OTS)
as long as this pack is installed on the instrument?

Hi Pityus,

You can use the voices (sounds) from currently installed Expansion Packs just like Preset voices, i.e. in keyboard parts, in style parts as well as in MIDI files and multi pads.

You can save the keyboard voice settings (Right/Left parts) as usual in Registrations or in the OTS of Styles or directly in MIDI files. (The latter is not recommended if the MIDI files are used in conjunction with Registrations.)

P.S.
Of course, it must be ensured that the required Expansion Voices are also installed on the keyboard. In addition, it must be ensured that the packs concerned have the same LSB number again if they are reinstalled. This is especially true for packs with so-called "Custom Voices" (MSB = 62 or 63).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 11:13:51 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline DerekA

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 10:31:32 PM »
The op wants to extract the wave samples for use elsewhere, not load packs to a Yamaha keyboard.

It can't be done.
Genos

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 09:19:01 AM »
The op wants to extract the wave samples for use elsewhere, not load packs to a Yamaha keyboard.

Last few replies are meant for Pityus's questions.

Bogdan

Offline DerekA

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 10:18:21 AM »
Last few replies are meant for Pityus's questions.

Ah yes, I see. Sorry.
Genos

Offline RoyB

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 12:06:02 PM »
There was a Windows program developed some years ago called 'PPF to Wave Converter' which would extract the sounds samples from ppf packs. It was in an Eastern European language but didn't always work too well and often came up with errors. I don't think it ever progressed beyond an initial version 1.0.
Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu3I6XidcZWOmsl_FM49_Q/videos

Offline overover

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 05:26:41 PM »
There was a Windows program developed some years ago called 'PPF to Wave Converter' which would extract the sounds samples from ppf packs. It was in an Eastern European language but didn't always work too well and often came up with errors. I don't think it ever progressed beyond an initial version 1.0.

Hi Roy,

Yes, I had tried this Windows program for extracting wave samples from .ppf pack files a long time ago. But as you say, it didn't work properly, nor was it ever updated/improved as far as I know. Also, it doesn't work with all .ppf files because many Yamaha packs (even if they come in non-protected .ppf format) use a proprietary, encrypted Yamaha sample format internally.

By the way, .ppf files that contain wave samples in uncompressed 16-bit / 44.1 kHz format (e.g. packs with custom voices you have created yourself) can be imported into a suitable wave editor program (e.g. Audacity) as "RAW data" in order to listen to the individual samples contained to or copy them.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)