Author Topic: External digital mixer  (Read 1351 times)

Offline mhack

External digital mixer
« on: November 26, 2022, 11:05:30 PM »
Is there an upside to mixing a Sx900 recorded song with external digital mixer? Like Behringer 8 Mixer?

Thanks
Mhack

Offline BogdanH

Re: External digital mixer
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 01:15:07 PM »
I don't have digital mixer, but I did look at Behringer Flow 8 when I was buying.
Upsides... If there's something specific you wish to achieve, then yes, digital mixer has some mixing advantages. But in my opinion, if only one keyboard and a microphone is used (plus maybe a guitar), then digital mixer doesn't show benefits. Actually, for live performance, even if two keyboards are used simultaneously, analog mixer is easier to use (and cheaper).
The main advantage of digital mixer, as I see it, is in studio recording. In case of Behringer you mentioned, you can record up to 8 separate tracks on PC: i.e. two keyboards (in stereo), plus two microphones, plus guitar and you still have 1 channel free. In live performance, by assuming there are enough inputs, we're mostly interested on two channel output -and that, every analog mixer can do.
Some may say "well, doesn't hurt if one have more options than currently needed" -that's true. It's just, that it's easier and faster to setup analog mixer to our liking, than that's the case with digital mixer. But there's a catch: most analog mixer don't have audio interface. Means, one needs separate audio interface for recording music on PC. In such case, I would recommend something like Yamaha AG06, which is a mixer with built-in audio interface. Actually, if only one keyboard is planned to be used (+microphone), then even cheaper Yamaha AG03 (which I have) is enough.
To summarize my thoughts... yes, digital mixer is better because of flexibility and features it might have. But only you can answer if it has upsides for you.

Bogdan
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 05:49:21 PM by BogdanH »
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline mcbrown

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 05:09:16 PM »
I have just purchased a Zoom LiveTrak L-8 which I am looking forward to using. It also runs on batteries (4 x AA) or a USB Power Bank or power adaptor. It also has digital effects but only one can be chosen and applied to all tracks. You can also record to an SD card.
There is also a L-12 and L-20 if you need more tracks but they are not battery powered.

If you scroll just over half way down the web page (link below) there is a video of a trio using the mixer.

https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/digital-mixer-multi-track-recorders/digital-mixer-recorder/LIVETRAK-L-8/

The reason I chose this mixer is because it goes well with my two MAUI 5 Go battery powered speakers and can be used for guitar, bass and vocals in the middle of nowhere. Just need a battery powered workstation or convert the Genos LoL.

Murray

« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 05:32:43 PM by mcbrown »
Genos + MS01, TouchMix 30 Dig Mixer, Fender Strat & Tele, Cole Clark FL3, Music Man 210 75 and Behringer: FCB1010, B1200D Subs x 2 & B205D f/b spkrs x4, Boss: GT-1 Guitar Fx, Roland: GR-55 Guitar Synth, MAUI 28 G2 & 5 GO x2, Korg EK-50L Arranger, Zoom L-8

Offline Dnj

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 05:46:06 PM »
Allen & Heath make some really excellent mixers with great effects too.. I love their products..

https://www.allen-heath.com/key-series/zed-series/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 05:50:55 PM by Dnj »

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 06:14:58 PM »
hi Murray,
Just looking at picture of Zoom LiveTrack L-8 and so I might be wrong... But my impression is, there's either no phantom power (48V) for microphone, or if condenser microphone is used, then there's phantom power on all six channels. If I'm right, then that can be problematic. Because if at least one condenser microphone is used, then there are only two (stereo) inputs left for keyboard: inputs 2-6 can only be used for additional condenser microphones. If only dynamic microphones are planned to be used, then there's no problem, of course.

Just thought I mention that,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline mcbrown

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 05:09:05 AM »
Yes Bogdan I think you might be right. I only use dynamic mics so its ok for me.

Murray

Functions
Mixer Channels 1–6 have high-quality mic preamps built-in.
Each channel can also have 3-band EQ, LOW CUT, PAN, and effect send amounts set.
Channel 8 has a jack to connect a smartphone.
Effects The mixer includes 1 bus with 8 types of send-return effects. Parameters for each effect
can be adjusted.
Scenes This function enables saving up to 7 sets of current mixer settings as scenes and
recalling these saved settings at any time. The mixer settings can also be reset.
MONITOR OUT The MONITOR OUT jacks can output 3 different monitor mixes, allowing different
performers to receive mixes as they like.
SOUND PAD Audio files (WAV format) can be assigned to the SOUND PAD buttons. Press one to
play the assigned file. The level and playback method can be set for each pad. When
shipped new, 13 sounds are already included for use.
Recorder The recorder can simultaneously record 12 tracks, including each channel and the
master track, and simultaneously play 10 tracks. Recorded data is saved in 16/24-bit,
44.1/48/96kHz WAV format and managed in units called projects.
The following functions can be used with the recorder.
• Recording, overdubbing and playing tracks
• Adding marks and moving to marks
• Punching in/out
• Mixing down (master track recording and playback)
• Automatically starting recording when a set volume is exceeded.
• Pre-recording before recording starts
Projects The following operations can be used with projects.
• Selecting projects for playback
• Changing project names
• Deleting projects
• Protecting projects
• Checking project information
• Checking, deleting and moving to marks
Audio files The following operations can be used on audio files.
• Deleting audio files
• Assigning audio files to each channel
Metronome The volume, sound and pattern can be changed and the metronome includes a precount
function. The volume of each output jack can be set.
Audio interface When used as a USB audio interface, it supports 12 ins and 4 outs when the sampling
rate is 44.1/48 kHz.
Card reader Use as a card reader is possible when connected to a computer.
Settings Settings related to the recorder and SD cards can be made by pressing the RECORDER
button, and then the SETTING button.
Recorder Recording format settings
Automatic recording settings
Showing recording levels on level meters
Latency adjustment setting
Playback settings
Pre-recording settings
SD cards Checking open space
Resetting to factory settings
Testing card performance
Other settings Date and time setting
Changing the sampling rate
Disabling the automatic power saving function
Adjusting the display contrast
Changing the display backlight time
Settings related to batteries
Restoring factory defaults The unit can be restored to its factory default settings.
Firmware You can check the firmware version and update it to the latest version.
Genos + MS01, TouchMix 30 Dig Mixer, Fender Strat & Tele, Cole Clark FL3, Music Man 210 75 and Behringer: FCB1010, B1200D Subs x 2 & B205D f/b spkrs x4, Boss: GT-1 Guitar Fx, Roland: GR-55 Guitar Synth, MAUI 28 G2 & 5 GO x2, Korg EK-50L Arranger, Zoom L-8

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 02:11:58 PM »
If it's just the keyboard and your voice, you're probably better off with a 4 channel audio interface (two tracks instereo from the keyboard and one or two channels for vocals/duet) instead and record/mix in your DAW.