Author Topic: USB MIDI driver fails to install in Windows 10 - what worked for me  (Read 2777 times)

Offline lonelagranger

I tried all morning to install the midi driver for Windows 10.  It failed every time saying, the processor was not adequate to run the program.  I am running an i7 processor in my computer.  After numerous attempts I tried the following.  I went to the download site in UK/Ireland, downloaded the same file and it worked with no problem.  I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but this might help you.

Offline overover

Re: USB MIDI driver fails to install in Windows 10 - what worked for me
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 12:48:01 AM »
Hi lonelagranger,

Thanks for your report!

The current version number of the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver for Windows is V3.1.4. Important: There are separate versions for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows systems. The 64-bit version is usually required for Windows 10. Note: With this driver it is important that the USB connection to the computer is already established BEFORE the driver installation is started.

By the way, I haven't had any problems with the USB-MIDI driver installation so far.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline lonelagranger

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 08:33:17 AM »
It was very strange for me.  I tried it on two different computers with the same result.  I original tried to install the 64 bit, and then the 32 bit.  Both gave the same error. 

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 09:44:04 AM »
It was very strange for me.  I tried it on two different computers with the same result.  I original tried to install the 64 bit, and then the 32 bit.  Both gave the same error.

Thanks for the feedback, lonelagranger!

I just tried it: The message "This processor is not suitable for running Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver" comes up when trying to run the 32-bit version (setup.exe from "um3141x86.zip") under Windows 10 64-bit. (The correct file is the setup.exe from "um3141x64.zip".)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 09:47:30 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 09:54:23 AM »
Hi

I would upgrade to Windows 11 if you have an I7 computer as there are no problems with Windows 11.
Just some configurations needed to make the music and computer run at optimum..
Do all the music tweaks that Sweetwater suggest. Also knock out all Microsoft rubbish.
I had a problem with the Yamaha driver once and if i rememember, it had something wrong in the works.
I used sfc/scannow and that found a few things that were preventing things from running properly.
My i7 is on Windows 11 and there is 32 gig of ram in there as i have vst's as well.
I recommend anyone going to a shop or firm to get your music computer custom built and you will never look back.
But to never look back means shelling out for a couple of Terrabyte drives to store music and most important a SYSTEM IMAGE
This is the way to go to have a headache free life. Windows system image works fine and you do not need to shell out more money .
I keep two system images of my music computer.
I also have found that if you use the Computer for music only, all you need is Windows defender for security when on music sites.
I have got rid of Norton 360 on the music computer and only use it on my Internet general computer. Cheap old Asus  i5.
I do use Norton Utilities and that is great and handles registry. Before you comit to anything you can read what is wrong in the wizard.
Always clean out cookies and internet rubbish regularly. CC Cleaner free is great for that but not the registry
I also use Malwarebytes free to double check things as that can bring up PuP worms, but they are mainly advertising nuisances.
Only once i found a trojan in a music download and Malwarebytes found that not Defender.
Well with that no more headaches.
Pentium 4 days are long gone i hope!!!! ;D

Ps There is nothing worse than spending Groundhog Days on a computer!!! ::) :P :-[
Another thing is do not use a driver updater without reading what the release date is of drivers.
i got caught out with AS Media drivers. If you put the latest in it causes Unkown device problems. Headache for two days until the penny dropped.  That is where my System Image came in handy.
With Usb drivers ---"If it works leave the rest alone"
The same with with people telling you to update the bios.

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 10:12:14 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox