Author Topic: Help with changing the Style File format. from SX900 to PSR-EW410  (Read 2556 times)

Offline hans1966

Hello guys

I have a problem and it is the following.

A friend of mine who has a psr ew410 has commissioned me to do three Latin styles for him, in fact he already paid me in advance for the job.

The styles are Salsa, Colombian Cumbia and Pasillo fiestero.

I edited these styles on my PSR-SX900, based on the psr ew410's list of compatible voices, and mailed them to my friend who lives in Costa Rica, but his keyboard doesn't recognize them.

On my friend's keyboard he gets a message saying, "No file"

I don't know if the sty format of the SX 900 is not compatible with the psr ew410

In that case I would like to know if there is a style conversion program for this keyboard.

I hope you can help me with this situation.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 01:34:36 AM by hans1966 »
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

The following users thanked this post: Fred Smith

Re: Help with changing the Style File format. from SX900 to PSR-EW410
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 11:14:26 AM »
Hi
unfortunately you have a problem. The style structure in this keyboard is similar to the dgx piano I had a few years back, not psr’s.
If you download the manual you’ll see that as far as I can tell, it only has 1 intro/ending, possibly 2 fills and 2 variations.
Also, if the styles you mentioned have mega voices, they may well cause problems.

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/nomegainmidi/index.htm

I used to split the style and make  2 out of it. I used to use One Man Band to edit my styles years back.

I’ve never tried this piece of software, but Jorgen’s Style Remixer may do what you need

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/sremix/index.htm

Get your friend to send you a style and you should be able to tell what type of style it is.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 11:19:18 AM »
Just adding to what Rikki said:

From EW410 manual I can see that this keyboard uses SFF style format, but style created on SX900 are in SFF2 format (both have *.sty file name extension). You need a SFF2 to SFF1 converter: I think Jorgen (forum member) made it available on this forum, or just try with Google.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline hans1966

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 01:43:51 PM »
Hello Rikky and BogdanH, thank you very much for your answers.

I was afraid that was the problem.
I'm going to try to change the style format with Jorgen's program.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 01:45:17 PM by hans1966 »

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 08:11:53 PM »
Just adding to what Rikki said:

From EW410 manual I can see that this keyboard uses SFF style format, but style created on SX900 are in SFF2 format (both have *.sty file name extension). You need a SFF2 to SFF1 converter: I think Jorgen (forum member) made it available on this forum, or just try with Google.

Bogdan

Hi Bogdan, yes he does. I think my link above should bring up Jorgen’s site. His collection of software is amazing, seems to be a solution for nearly any problem. There’s so many different Yamaha style extensions, hard to keep up with them. Haha
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline brucerez

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 08:29:48 PM »
Quote from:  link=topic=64670.msg491266#msg491266 date=1669383831
Hello Rikky and BogdanH, thank you very much for your answers.

I was afraid that was the problem.
I'm going to try to change the style format with Jorgen's program.

Cheers

Hi hans1966,

With StyleMagic YA (Jorgen's program) you can import the Style in SMF (standard midi file format) and then convert it to SFF or SFF2.
Hope that helps.

Here is the link: https://www.midisoft.pl/en/#strona-dn
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 08:31:26 PM by brucerez »

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 08:50:24 PM »
Hi Bruce, I actually have Style Magic,  ( bought it quite a while back but haven’t actually gotten to use it yet) as far as I’m aware it’s not free?
 I was trying to come up with something Hans could download for free.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline brucerez

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2022, 12:10:48 AM »
Hi Bruce, I actually have Style Magic,  ( bought it quite a while back but haven’t actually gotten to use it yet) as far as I’m aware it’s not free?
 I was trying to come up with something Hans could download for free.
Hi rikkisbears,

You're right, it is not free.
I thought to mention it since I have used it several times and it was very helpful and efficient software for styles conversion.

Offline hans1966

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2022, 01:04:28 AM »
Hello guys,
I really appreciate what you do for me, but unfortunately I still haven't been able to get my friend's PSR-W410 to read/load the styles. :'(

I did what Rikki suggested.

download the programs Style Remixes, and MIDI megavoice Cleaner.

I must clarify that before sending the styles to my friend for the first time, I manually changed some mega voices of the styles to others that were compatible with the w410, based on the list of data (voices) of it.

Due to the embarrassment that my friend gave me for not being able to help him with the styles he requested, I told him that I would return the money as soon as possible.

Thanks Rikki, BogdanH, and Bucerez, for your quick response.

Cheers

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2022, 06:16:35 AM »
Hi Hans,so sorry to hear that.  you did cut the style down to 1 intro , 1 ending, 2 variations, 2 fills, that’s the way I read it in the manual. The only way to tell for sure would be to get an original style from him, turn it into a .mid and view the markers  in a pc sequencer like xg works.

It’s probably a lot more work than you would have anticipated. Sadly.

Even  changing the voices in mega voice tracks, you’d have squeaks and thumps etc unless it was put thru the mega voice cleaner, it removes those weird sounds. Also the likely hood of your drum and percussion tracks working 100% is negligible unless the drum kits used  are also kits in his keyboard.

I spent years play around with ways of converting psr styles across  to  my Korg keyboards.   It was easier to buy a psr,  but , it was my hobby and I enjoyed doing it. Getting a complex style like the sx900 and dumbing it down to  work on a less sophisticated keyboard is harder than vice versa.

Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2022, 09:33:44 AM »
... to 1 intro , 1 ending, 2 variations, 2 fills, that’s the way I read it in the manual.
---
By looking at keyboard panel (in manual), next to style section, there are style TRACK CONTROL buttons: 6 tracks only (PSR-S... has eight).
As you said, to get an idea (about limitations), one would need to have a factory style for studying.
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 08:50:19 PM »
Hi hans1966,

With StyleMagic YA (Jorgen's program) you can import the Style in SMF (standard midi file format) and then convert it to SFF or SFF2.
Hope that helps.

Here is the link: https://www.midisoft.pl/en/#strona-dn

Wrong.
My format converter program is at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/sf2c/index.htm and it is FREE.
Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline hans1966

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2022, 11:50:44 PM »
Hello Guys, Once again many thanks to Rikki, BogdanH, and also Jorgen for their valuable contribution to this wonderful forum.

I am going to download the program that Jorgen suggested, and try to do the conversion to see if it will let me.

I'll tell you tomorrow how it went

Happy weekend to all