Author Topic: SX700 keybed compared to MX49/MODX  (Read 3546 times)

ZeframC

SX700 keybed compared to MX49/MODX
« on: November 23, 2022, 02:13:39 AM »
I am thinking about getting a PSR-SX700 but am trying to get a good idea of what to expect with the keybed since I can't try one in person anywhere. The modern Yamaha keybeds I'm familiar with are on the MX49 and MODX6 (which seemed very similar to me). I really did not like these keybeds at all. They were noisy in a way that bothered me, and normally I'm a bit more tolerant of noisy keybeds. But it had this clicky sound that was a bit higher pitched that grinded my gears for some reason. Can anyone around here who has tried both of these speak to how similar the SX700 keybed is to the MODX6 or MX49? Doing some searches on on here it seems there is a bit of controversy with the SX700 keybed being noisy, or becoming more noisy over time, so I'm also trying to gauge how significant that is. Thank you to anyone who can chime in!

Offline BogdanH

Re: SX700 keybed compared to MX49/MODX
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 09:08:31 AM »
I don't know keybeds on synthesizers you mentioned. My guess would be, MODX6 and PSR-SX have similar (if not equal) keybed, as both were launched at about same time (at similar price range).
When PSR-SX was released, some Youtube reviewers mentioned, that SX series has "improved" keybed (compared to previous PSR-S series). If you ask me, that was a plain lie -which was probably based on first impression. Let me explain..
Before buying I did try SX700 in store and indeed, keybed felt somewhat "better" than on PSR-S775 that I had at home. And so, if someone would ask me, I would say "yes, PSR-SX has a little better keybed".
To shorten the story... after several months (of gentle use), keys become "loud". Especially the loud "rattle" of black ones is extremely disturbing. If someone say that's not the case for his/her PSR-SX, then that means (s)he simply forgot how quiet keybed once was.
The only solution is, to take keyboard apart and apply proper silicone grease under each key. The whole job took less than 2 hours -and I've got new keyboard again!

About "proper" silicone grease... I had some silicone white grease, but I could easy recognize that it was too fluid (compared to what Yamaha used). There are many kinds of greases and when buying on web shop, one just don't know how thick, sticky or fluid the grease is. And so I just bough three different greases, by hoping that one of them will be right.
My theory is, if too fluid, then grease won't dampen keys enough and probably the treatment will be needed in short period of time again (as grease is pushed out by pressing the keys). If grease is too sticky, then it will dampen keys too much (keys could feel "sticky" even).

I hope that is also of some help to others who might read this thread.
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

ZeframC

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 02:26:44 PM »
Thanks for your reply! It sounds a bit iffy to me. I probably should assume it'll be on par with MODX and decide from there.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 04:05:38 PM »
Hi ZeframC,

As far as I know, the MODX 6 has the same keyboard as the PSR-S models (very noisy and relatively imprecise / "wobbly" and with only a very small key travel). The SX900/700 models, on the other hand, have a much better "FSB" keyboard. Unfortunately, this (according to Yamaha "newly developed") keyboard is not quite as good as expected or promised by Yamaha. As already mentioned, in some cases the SX keyboard "rattles" uncomfortably loud after a short time, especially when you press black keys sideways against the adjacent white keys while playing.

The service now offered by Yamaha to have an affected SX keyboard re-greased with a special grease (to reduce the bearing play / clearance of the keys) is obviously not a permanent solution either, because according to user reports the "rattling" can come back after a while. In addition, the new grease is so viscous that Yamaha itself points out that the keys can become very stiff at low temperatures (and then would no longer be playable).

Tyros models and Genos have a completely different, very high quality "FSX" keyboard. Since, as I can gather from your question, you place great value on the quality of the keyboard, I recommend that you take a Genos or a used Tyros5. (Tyros 2 - 4 also have an FSX keyboard, but from today's point of view the purchase of these older models is no longer recommended for various reasons.)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 04:20:31 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Rcjwhiting

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 12:07:16 PM »
Hi - I just received my new PSR SX900 last week and have previously owned both the MX 49 and the MODX7. For my money, the PSR is the better keybed in terms of feeling more solid and being able to control the velocity/volume when playing, especially for piano. You’re not going to get the real depth of expression on any of them compared to weighted actions, but it is definitely a big improvement over the MX49 and MODX. There is very little wobble or noise. Added bonus - way easier to rip organ glissandos than anything with a weighted keybed. If total weight of the keyboard is a consideration (it is for me as my aging back can’t take lugging around big heavy boards anymore) then a lighter weight action is the way to go. Hope this helps.

Rich

ZeframC

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 03:03:02 PM »
That sounds promising. I really feel like I need the keybed to only just be a bit better than the MX49. MX49 was right on the cusp of my personal limits for a keybed. Although I did appreciate how fast I could play on it. So SX700 is looking like it's good enough. The only thing to figure out is the issue of the SX700 keybed seeming to get noisier and rattling as time goes on. I don't think I've ever taken apart a keyboard so adding grease and all that would be totally new to me if that ends up happening. I'm surprised Yamaha hasn't fixed this issue now that this keyboard has been out for several years now! I wonder if it's on all models or just certain ones.

I took a look at used Tyros5 models and they look excellent but also I'm seeing around $3K used. It would be a shame to have to pay nearly twice as much to get a reliable keybed when functionally the SX700 really appears to do all I need (and is a lighter). Thank you for the replies!

vadesriux

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 04:52:56 PM »
Being a (previous) owner of a MODX7 and an actual owner of a SX900, let me disagree with the general answers.

The MODX7 keybed is miles better than the SX700/900 one. For starters the keybed on the MODX is very silent - and stays silent during the years - contrary to both the 700/900 whose keys (white and black) get really noisy after a short while.

Its a shame for Yamaha since the SX900 is much more expensive than the MODX7.

On the positive side, both the MODX and the 700/900 have very smooth movement white and black keys, meaning you dont need to apply much force when pressing the keys near the top which is great at least for me. But the noises the SX series keybed develops with time are distractive put down an otherwise excellent series from Yamaha.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 04:55:44 PM by vadesriux »

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 05:04:32 PM »
@ZeframC
Both, SX700 and SX900, are affected and to my knowledge, Yamaha didn't changed keybeds since release. The only thing I saw, was Yamaha bulletin describing how to apply grease to prevent keys noise.

Yes, I was very disappointed because of that... but now that I solved the problem, I still think that SX700 is a "perfect" arranger to start with. It has some shortcomings compared to SX900, but the differences aren't worth 1000€ higher price (in my eyes).
About disassembling... ok, some are less and some are more skilled.. but believe me, it's not that complicated. I did it in less than two hours (slowly and with patience). There are also some Youtube videos on how to do it. Actually one can't do it wrong -the most important thing is, that you don't overtighten the screws when you put keyboard back together.

Bogdan

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2022, 04:56:00 AM »
Probably not helpful but I played 3 levels of keybeds. I previously owned a used S770 and the keybed was ok, nothing to write home about, felt cheap. I sold the S770 and upgraded to a used SX900 and the keybed is a bit better as Bogdan described, alas mine is also noisy but honestly I don't mind/care since I'm playing live and none of the keys failed yet LOL. I played a T2 and T4 from other owners, and wow that's a nice keybed.

Offline lmederos

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2022, 10:35:43 AM »
I have an SX900 and actually tried the MODX+ 6 today.  The SX900 is IMHO a better keybed, but the MODX+ is nowhere near as bad as I've read in other forums.
-- Luis

PSR-SX900

ZeframC

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 03:20:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I think the SX700 will be fine for me, except for the (seemingly inevitable) danger of the keybed going noisy. I really only like Yamaha keyboards so I don't have a lot of options outside of paying twice as much for Tyros or Genos. It's probably best to risk it and get it fixed if it happens, which even if I end up having to pay someone to do it instead of myself would be cheaper than jumping up to Tyros/Genos.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 04:22:03 PM »
.. I really only like Yamaha keyboards so I don't have a lot of options..
-true.
As I mentioned, keybed is my only complain (makes no sense to complain about things I wish SX700 would have, because I knew that when buying). Other than that, it's a darn nice keyboard. Just get it and don't look back  ;)

Bogdan