Author Topic: Synching psr 770 to synth sequencer  (Read 2947 times)

texzen

Synching psr 770 to synth sequencer
« on: November 21, 2022, 05:55:26 PM »
 Is there an easy way to synch a Synth sequencer ( kord minilogue XD ) to a PSR 770 style ?   thanks for any help or suggestions on this.

Offline overover

Re: Synching psr 770 to synth sequencer
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 09:19:54 PM »
Hi texzen,

According to the manual, the Korg minilogue can be synchronized with an external MIDI clock source if button "6" (GLOBAL 4) is set to "Auto (MIDI)" for "Clock Source".

In any case you need a MIDI cable connection between the DIN MIDI OUT of the PSR-S770 and the DIN MIDI IN of the minilogue.

On the S770, it is best to set one of the preset MIDI templates "All Parts" or "KBD & Style" under "Function > MIDI". Then press "EDIT" (lower button "8") and make sure that "CLOCK:INTERNAL" and "TRANSMIT CLOCK:ON" are set in the "System" tab. If it fits like this, press the "Exit" button twice to exit the MIDI display.

If the current setting is "TRANSMIT CLOCK:OFF", set this parameter to ON and then press "Exit" button 1 time to leave the MIDI Edit level (you will see the 10 preset templates again). Now switch to the USER tab with the "TAB" buttons and press "SAVE" to save the modified MIDI template there. (Please use a meaningful file name.)

Now make sure that the newly saved User MIDI Template is actually selected. Finally, close the MIDI display with the "Exit" button, and actually it should work now. Please see also the attached screenshot.

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

texzen

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 01:52:57 PM »
Chris, thanks so much for your response! Will give it a try.   Jeff

texzen

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 03:14:41 PM »
Chris, I followed your excellent instructions and it worked perfectly. 

The only problem is that my Korg XD does not have a keybed so I use an Arturia keystep as a midi controller and therefore uses the MIDI IN port.

Do you think I could just turn things around and use the Korg XD as the clock for the Yamaha style?  Or could I use a MIDI Merger box and have 2 MIDI in connection for the Korg. I imagine I would have to use 2 different MIDI channels which scares me a little.

Again, thank you so much for your help on this. Jeff

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 04:12:19 PM »
Thanks for your detailed feedback, Jeff. I'm glad that my tips helped you.

Regarding your new questions:
Of course, if the XD can send MIDI clock, you could try setting the S770 to "CLOCK:EXTERNAL" and "TRANSMIT CLOCK:OFF" in the MIDI settings. (It is best to save these settings as an additional User MIDI template with a new/changed name.)

If you want to stick with the previous settings (S770 uses its internal MIDI clock and transmit it via MIDI Out) you should be able to use a MIDI merge box to connect an additional external MIDI controller, such as the Arturio Keystep, to the MIDI IN of the XD. Incidentally, "MIDI (Beat) Clock" is one of the so-called "Realtime messages" (like the "Start", "Continue" and "Stop" messages) and is therefore not tied to a specific MIDI channel.

But couldn't you just use the internal S770 keyboard to control the XD? For example, if you start from the Preset MIDI template "KBD & Style", the RIGHT section will be treated as "UPPER" part and transmitted via MIDI channel 1 (even if both RIGHT parts are switched OFF on the S770).

I hope my thoughts help you!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 04:17:58 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

texzen

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 04:43:26 PM »
 So I now am using the clock from the Korg XD  sequencer to drive the Yamaha style and it works great for me. This allows me to use the Arturia keystep as the midi controller keyboard for the XD and still have eveything tied together rhythmically.

Your instructions were INVALUABLE. Thanks for your time and assistance!  Jeff

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 04:53:22 PM »
So I now am using the clock from the Korg XD  sequencer to drive the Yamaha style and it works great for me. This allows me to use the Arturia keystep as the midi controller keyboard for the XD and still have eveything tied together rhythmically.

Your instructions were INVALUABLE. Thanks for your time and assistance!  Jeff

You're welcome, Jeff! Thanks again for your kind feedback. :)

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 10:48:32 PM »
Just had to say, this is PSR Tutorial at its best! I love how this turned out, I love solutions :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline DerekA

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 09:25:58 AM »
Just had to say, this is PSR Tutorial at its best! I love how this turned out, I love solutions :)

Given his astonishing breadth of knowledge, I am starting to think that Chris is not a real person at all ... Chris, are you sure your real name isn't Jarvis?? or Skynet??!

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2022, 02:35:28 PM »

Given his astonishing breadth of knowledge, I am starting to think that Chris is not a real person at all ... Chris, are you sure your real name isn't Jarvis?? or Skynet??!

Many thanks for the kind words, Toril and Derek!

No, my name is not SkyNet or J.A.R.V.I.S, and I rarely use "Neuronal Net-based Artificial Intelligence". My real name is just Chris (some people also call me Christian ;)).

My motto is actually quite simple: You don't have to know everything, but you should know where it's written. :)

Best regards,
Chris

The following users thanked this post: wersianer