Author Topic: Memory with YEM  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Duurduur

Memory with YEM
« on: November 20, 2022, 10:26:20 PM »
I have installed some free Yahama soundpacks with YEM. That went without a problem. But I see at the top of the screen that 'Voice Wave Size' is taking up too much memory space. There is still plenty of room for other things. Now I would like to know which files in the packs are responsible for this. If I know that I can remove several of these files from the packs that are not important to me. Then there is still enough space left to put together my own pack.
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463
Logitech Z623 Speakersystem

Offline overover

Re: Memory with YEM
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2022, 11:35:53 PM »
Hi Duurduur,

In order to reduce the "Voice Wave Size" (= required storage space for all wave samples of the Expansion voices to be installed), click on your "Install Target" in YEM, i.e. your keyboard model, and then deselect voices that are not required so that the green tick in the relevant voice icon disappears.

"Keys" icon means Normal Voice, "Drum" icon means Drum Voice, see also attached screenshot.

Note: Deselecting other file types (e.g. Styles, Multi Pads, Registrations, MIDI songs) in Expansion Packs does NOT reduce the "Voice Wave Size" since these other files are not stored in the Expansion Memory but in the USER Memory (there in the "Expansion" folder).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2022, 11:52:49 PM »
Thanks for the quick response. I think I understand which files to remove to reduce the 'Wave Voice Size'. I'll try it some other day because now it is very late here.

regards Ruud
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 09:33:08 AM »
Remember that each voice uses a different amount of wave memory. So you will need to play about a bit with deselecting voices and seeing the effect that has on the total wave size, until it gets below the limit. For example you might find that deselecting one "big" voice will free up a lot of space. But there is no way to tell what size a voice is until you select / deselect it.
Genos

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 11:44:16 AM »
I've already seen that when I deleted many things from the various packs and there was no change in the memory. But it took a long time before I could see that because everything had to be scanned again by YEM.
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463

Offline Duurduur

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 06:38:28 PM »
Today I started with a completely empty YEM. Create my own pack and load 1 style. Then the used 'Voice Wave Size' is 964 of 1004. When I add more styles and voices later, the used memory remains 964. I think this number indicates some kind of reserved memory. After adding some downloaded packs, the number still remains the same. I don't know yet when this used memory will change, but it certainly won't be smaller than 964. Remarkable!
Yamaha PSR-SX900
Yamaha PSR E463