Author Topic: M.Pad Loudness  (Read 1965 times)

Offline brucerez

M.Pad Loudness
« on: November 16, 2022, 11:53:59 PM »
Hi,

I need to boost the Loudness of some M.Pad that are in my keyboard.
All I found is Volume (which is at maximum) in the panel and in Multi Pad Edit, there are only Rename, Copy, Paste and Delete options.

Is there any tip or workaround to boost the loudness of M.Pad beside the Volume?

Thank you for any suggestion.

Offline Rick D.

Re: M.Pad Loudness
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 01:35:49 AM »
Hi Bruce,
I have run into this problem myself especially with vocal WAV files as Multi pads. The only workaround I have come up with is to lower the volumes on the other parts (Left, Right 1,2,3) so the Multi pad sounds louder, and then raise the keyboard volume to where you like it. If you record in audio just adjust your levels properly in the record window. If recording in MIDI you can fix volumes after the fact.
Hope this helps,

Rick D.

The following users thanked this post: brucerez

Offline brucerez

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 02:36:25 AM »
Thank you Rick for your reply.

In my situation, this is about percussion loop in M.Pad that will be played back with my styles.
I was thinking the same as you by lowering the volume of styles tracks instead of R1,R2,R3.
But it's very time consuming for me, since I have already spent too much time for balancing all styles tracks of many styles.

I see I don't have many choices. I should've thought before starting editing my styles.
I thought that since we can boost each style track with Insertion and Variation Effects, so it was obvious and logical for me that we could do also the same editing for Multi Pad since they are basically designed to function with the styles.

Anyway thanks for your sharing.

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 02:39:08 AM »
Hi,

I need to boost the Loudness of some M.Pad that are in my keyboard.
All I found is Volume (which is at maximum) in the panel and in Multi Pad Edit, there are only Rename, Copy, Paste and Delete options.

Is there any tip or workaround to boost the loudness of M.Pad beside the Volume?

Thank you for any suggestion.

Hi brucerez,

Are you talking about MIDI or Audio Link Multi Pads here?

Normal (MIDI) Multi Pads are basically MIDI files. You can change the volume of individual pads (of a bank) by going into Multi Pad Creator and going to "Step Edit". There you change the value of the Volume event (Ctrl #7) for the desired pad (1 - 4). If you are already at a Ctrl #7 value of 127 and also the Multi Pad "overall" volume in the Mixer is already at 127, and the volume should be increased even more, you would have to increase the Velocity value for all note events of that pad.

Please also refer to the chapter "Multi Pads" in the SX900 Reference Manual from page 52.

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 02:44:52 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 11:04:08 AM »
Hi brucerez,

It is possible to add effects to voices in pads to boost sound levels by preparing a suitable midi file which does what you require, including the insert and using  Padmaker-midi to make the pad from the midi. I used it some time ago (with Tyros4 in 2010 if I remember correctly!) to emulate clarinet embellishments used by Artie Shaw in his arrangement of Begin the Beguine.

Current link to PMMidi:
https://psrtutorial.com/MB/EV_Files/padmakermidi.html

John 

Offline brucerez

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 05:27:19 PM »
Hi brucerez,

Are you talking about MIDI or Audio Link Multi Pads here?

Normal (MIDI) Multi Pads are basically MIDI files. You can change the volume of individual pads (of a bank) by going into Multi Pad Creator and going to "Step Edit". There you change the value of the Volume event (Ctrl #7) for the desired pad (1 - 4). If you are already at a Ctrl #7 value of 127 and also the Multi Pad "overall" volume in the Mixer is already at 127, and the volume should be increased even more, you would have to increase the Velocity value for all note events of that pad.

Please also refer to the chapter "Multi Pads" in the SX900 Reference Manual from page 52.

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes it's about Normal (MIDI) Multi Pads (Latin Percussion) that resides in my keyboard (Preset/Factory). I've already saved it in the user area for further editing.
I read again the manual (page 52), even though I've had read this section. I am aware of it.
I've also tried to boost the velocity in Step Edit but it's not enough. I know the reason, because I use the Insertion and Variation effects for Rhythm 1 and 2 tracks and they sound very good.

There you change the value of the Volume event (Ctrl #7) for the desired pad (1 - 4).
Where in the keyboard I can check the Volume event Ctrl #7? is it the same M.Pad Volume in the mixer or it's some where else?

Thank you

Offline brucerez

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 05:29:59 PM »
Hi brucerez,

It is possible to add effects to voices in pads to boost sound levels by preparing a suitable midi file which does what you require, including the insert and using  Padmaker-midi to make the pad from the midi. I used it some time ago (with Tyros4 in 2010 if I remember correctly!) to emulate clarinet embellishments used by Artie Shaw in his arrangement of Begin the Beguine.

Current link to PMMidi:
https://psrtutorial.com/MB/EV_Files/padmakermidi.html

John

Thank you John for the suggestion.
I will try the Padmaker-midi, and will see how it goes.

Update:
I downloaded and installed the Padmaker-Midi today (latest version).
I checked it and there is not option for adding Insert/Variation effects.
There are Chorus and Reverb options in Padmaker-Midi which already exist in the Keyboard for M.Pad.
Thanks
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 08:02:24 PM by brucerez »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 06:36:37 PM »
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes it's about Normal (MIDI) Multi Pads (Latin Percussion) that resides in my keyboard (Preset/Factory). I've already saved it in the user area for further editing.
I read again the manual (page 52), even though I've had read this section. I am aware of it.
I've also tried to boost the velocity in Step Edit but it's not enough. I know the reason, because I use the Insertion and Variation effects for Rhythm 1 and 2 tracks and they sound very good.
Where in the keyboard I can check the Volume event Ctrl #7? is it the same M.Pad Volume in the mixer or it's some where else?

Thank you

You check for the volume event in the same place — Stepedit. If it’s not there, try adding one.

Cheers,
Fred

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline brucerez

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 07:13:22 PM »
Regarding M.Pad editing I found a page in Mixer panel called M.Pad (see screen shot).
I want to know what this page is for?
I couldn't find any thing for editing the M.Pad in this page.

Thank you

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 10:17:57 PM »
Regarding M.Pad editing I found a page in Mixer panel called M.Pad (see screen shot).
I want to know what this page is for?
I couldn't find any thing for editing the M.Pad in this page.

Thank you

Hi Bruce,

This Mixer page allows you to change the volumes of AUDIO LINK Multi Pads. However, this is practically useless because, as far as I know, the settings made here cannot be saved anywhere. (Usually the volume ("Audio Level") of Audio Link Multi Pads are set when they are created and saved with the relevant Bank. See also the PSR-A5000 Reference Manual, page 53.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 10:26:44 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 11:00:43 PM »
... Where in the keyboard I can check the Volume event Ctrl #7? ...

Hi Bruce,

The Volume controller events of MIDI Multi Pads can be found here:
Menu > M.Pad Creator > MIDI Multi Pad Recording > Step Edit

Please also see the notes "Multi Pad—Step Recording via MIDI" in the PSR-A5000 Reference Manual, page 53 (including the reference to page 76 / Step Edit in MIDI Song Recording).

The Volume event "Ctrl 7" is normally at time position "001 : 1 : 0000", almost at the top of the Event List. If it is not displayed, please check the "Event Filter". The display of this Control Change event may have been deselected there.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline brucerez

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 01:50:48 AM »
Thank you Chris for the explanation, helpful.

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2022, 02:49:20 AM »
Thanks for your feedback, Bruce!

A relatively easy way to change the volume of the individual Pads of a MIDI Multi Pad Bank is to use the PC (Windows) program "MixMaster" (current version v22r2):
>>> https://psrtutorial.com/MB/EV_Files/mixmaster.html

Here is the procedure:

- Open (load) a Multi Pad Bank file (".pad" extension) in MixMaster.

- Click on the "Volume View" button.

- Use the "Average Volumes" sliders to set each volume manually, then click the "Update Channel Volumes" button to apply the changes.

OR

- Use the "Change the Overall Volume" slider and then click the "Overall Volume Value" button to change all (4) pad volumes at once. (Relative volume differences between the pads are preserved.)

- Click on the "Save As" button to save the modified Multi Pad file, preferably with a new/modified name so as not to overwrite the original file. (Of course, the ".pad" file extension must be retained. ;))

Please also see the attached screenshot.

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: wersianer, brucerez

Offline brucerez

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 04:09:10 PM »
Thanks Chris for taking time for detailed explanation about editing M.Pad in MixMaster.
Very helpful screen shot.

I've already downloaded and installed it, I'll try it as soon as I can.

Really appreciated.

Offline overover

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 04:17:00 PM »
Thanks Chris for taking time for detailed explanation about editing M.Pad in MixMaster.
Very helpful screen shot.

I've already downloaded and installed it, I'll try it as soon as I can.

Really appreciated.

You're welcome, Bruce! :)

Best regards,
Chris