Author Topic: Recording audio from Tyros 5 to PC Question  (Read 1854 times)

Offline RoyB

Recording audio from Tyros 5 to PC Question
« on: November 15, 2022, 10:03:54 AM »
I have a Tyros 5 and a Roland FA08 workstation, plus some other extras, and I am looking to simplify the set-up and reduce the number of cables.

As we know, the Tyros5, like the Genos, does not have audio over USB. Therefore, to record audio from my T5 directly to my PC, I currently connect the audio outs from the T5 into a Behringer Q502USB mixer, which also functions as a USB audio interface to my PC. This works fine.

The FA08 does have audio over USB, therefore to record audio from my FA08 to the PC I can either use the direct FA08>PC USB connection or, as with the T5, connect the audio outs from the FA08 into the Q502 mixer/audio interface.

It seems to me that I could eliminate the Q502 (and all the associated cabling) completely, and connect the audio outs from the T5 to the audio inputs on the FA08, and just use the FA08 as the USB audio interface to record from both the T5 and FA08 to my PC.

Does anyone have any views (benefits, drawbacks, issues, etc) in doing this. The only limitation I can think of is that I will miss the additional level indicators and controls of the Q502 that can be used to help to set an appropriate audio output level. (I don't use any of the additional functions, e.g. PAN and EQ controls, that the Q502 offers).

Thank you.

Regards

Roy
Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu3I6XidcZWOmsl_FM49_Q/videos

Offline mixermixer

Re: Recording audio from Tyros 5 to PC Question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 02:40:04 PM »
Why not use the built in WAV recorder on the T5? Unless you want to record both simultaneously? IMO if you are recording both simultaneously, I would use a dedicated audio interface and feed the stereo outs of both keyboards into the interface and do gain staging from there, at least each keyboard is recorded as a separate track as opposed to all to master 2 track that the behringer is doing.

Offline RoyB

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 03:31:59 PM »
Thnaks for your reply. If I need to record all tracks together as a song then I would usually use the built in WAV recorder.
However, I also need to record as WAV files directly to my PC, usually individual tracks at a time, from within a DAW or other software. I want to continue to do that as I do now, so I'm just interested to know whether it would be just as good (or better) to use my FA08 as an audio interface rather than my Behringer Q502USB. 
Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

Offline AndyB

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 08:47:15 PM »
Hi RoyB, The FA08 should work out OK, doing it through the FA08 would remove the Behringer from the equation, I personally use a Focusrite Scarlet 8i6 with me DAW.
Technics KN650, Technics KN7000, Tyros 4 SE, Tyros 5

Offline RoyB

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 10:11:44 AM »
Thanks Andy. For the past few months I have been using the FA08 as the audio interface for my Tyros and it works fine without any problems.

Regards

Roy
Roy