Author Topic: Help! Software or hardware defect in midi recording?  (Read 1218 times)

Offline capriz_68

Help! Software or hardware defect in midi recording?
« on: November 14, 2022, 07:38:52 AM »
I have such a problem. I record in a midi sequencer on two Yamaha psr sx900 and sx600 devices in auto accompaniment mode, GuitarSerenada style on channel 12, record a guitar part, take chords, chord notes are recorded in the sequencer, each has its own CC84 and all this is on one tick. I record 16 bars, stop, then continue recording from bar 17, 2 more bars, stop. I check in StepEdit mode and see that in the first 16 measures the CC84s disappeared and only one note remained. The sequencer itself takes and deletes CC84, considering the same midi date on one tick as garbage. By ear, this defect is perceived as if the guitar stumbles and clicks. I imagine: 1st test was recorded in midi 16 bars everything is correct, the second test continued recording from the 17th bar and CC84 disappeared in the first 16 bars.
Does everyone have it? The defect does not appear immediately, after the second or third attempt.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bvGY_VYnNqrXIyParGTIO8i-xmzXy013/view?usp=sharing
Firmware version 1.11 (at v1.10 same error)
Thanks

P.S. (More on this topic)
https://www.midi.org/forum/16482-recording-in-a-yamaha-psr-sx600,-sx900-midi-sequencer?format=amp
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 10:24:54 AM by capriz_68 »
"You are delusion so deep that even delusion about the depth of his delusion."

Offline ton37

Re: Help! Software or hardware defect in midi recording?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 10:16:31 AM »
Hi, sorry no midi knowledge here.
Only a check: do you have installed the latest Yamaha Steinberg USB driver (v2.1.3 - Windows 64-bit version)?
The USB-midi driver v3.1.4 for win 11/10 (-64 bit) (This is the only old one - 2015)
If you have MacOs, then of sure take the latest drivers for that OS.
My best regards,
Ton

Offline capriz_68

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 10:43:55 AM »
Hi, sorry no midi knowledge here.
Only a check: do you have installed the latest Yamaha Steinberg USB driver (v2.1.3 - Windows 64-bit version)?
The USB-midi driver v3.1.4 for win 11/10 (-64 bit) (This is the only old one - 2015)
If you have MacOs, then of sure take the latest drivers for that OS.

I do not work with a computer, I record everything using a synthesizer.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 03:19:08 PM »
Are you saying that this happens *both* on SX600 and SX900 ?

How do you 'continue' the recording from bar 17 - do you set Rec Start to punch in at measure 17? Which tracks are armed for recording on the second pass?
Genos

Offline capriz_68

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 06:20:27 PM »
Are you saying that this happens *both* on SX600 and SX900 ?

How do you 'continue' the recording from bar 17 - do you set Rec Start to punch in at measure 17? Which tracks are armed for recording on the second pass?
Yes, this happens on both synthesizers, and if such a recording has never been made on the synthesizer, for example, the synthesizer is fresh from the store out of the box, it can record normally several times, a little, two or three times. Then it will already record with a defect. So it’s interesting - is this a widespread defect or only individual copies of synthesizers, for example, for third countries, I have it made in Indonesia, but does anyone have it made in Japan or in some other country?
There are suspicions of a low-quality controller (chip) installed, or a software defect in the firmware of the yamaha. I flashed version 1.10 back - the result is the same. Recording of the whole style plus recording of the 12th channel - guitars for example.
We write 16 measures, then Stop, then we write a couple of measures from the 17th measure as a continuation of the song, it is also desirable to turn on the recording of channel 12 (guitar), in total a song of 19 measures is acceptable. The files are attached above as it is recorded and listened to.
P.S:
All recording options are used, this does not affect the defect. You can write from any measure with any number of recording and playback channels. Even 12 ch wrote on the first ch, CC84 still disappear.
30 years of midi recording experience.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 06:27:10 PM by capriz_68 »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 06:31:01 PM »
Not sure what you mean "using a synthesizer" Do you mean internal midi recording on the PSR? You should be aware by default, everything from the moment you punch in (continue recording) is erased (as it should be, unless you're punching in and punching out), but if you don't have it on overwrite, you can get overlapping midi data (very messy). Additionally, before you stop and continued recording, you might want to quantize the tail end of the midi data in the 1st 16 bars or else you could have note off or other data appearing *after* the 16th bar.

But it sounds like you should probably use chord step recording to setup the overall background, then start recording right hand tracks 1-8 on top of that?

Mark

Offline capriz_68

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 06:32:20 AM »
Just record a fragment of any style, better than a guitar one, but with the recording stopped and continuing from the same place and listen, whether you hear the combination of these two or three parts of the style or not, it's not difficult)))
midi file that you record, please post it here. Thanks.
=============
Additional information (topic) on the discussion of this defect (starting from about the 3rd tab) and not only about this defect Yamaha PSR-Series:
https://rmmedia.ru/threads/143932/

Attention: Only for the very smart!!!
It is better not to read to ordinary users of sx-series synthesizers - it can break the brain and this is not treated)
P.S: Topic in Russian (use Google translator)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 10:03:26 AM by capriz_68 »