Author Topic: External speakers for Sx900  (Read 12049 times)

External speakers for Sx900
« on: November 08, 2022, 05:32:38 AM »
Hi, just wondering if there would be a sound  quality advantage in adding external speakers to my sx900.
Home use only so I don’t need them for extra volume , just a case of whether or not it would sound better than it already does.
If so, any recommendations would be appreciated.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Jeff Hollande

Re: External speakers for Sx900
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 07:32:35 AM »
Hey Rikki :

It is nice to hear your voice again. ;)
Hope you are doing well.

If you are a frequent DAW user ( e.g. for editing, mixing, mastering etc. ), it might be interesting to buy a set of good sound quality " active " external studio speakers
and turn off your SX900 speakers.
But ... they are rather expensive, though. :P

If not, I think your present SX900 speakers are doing their job very well ... but who am I ? :)

Best regards from The Netherlands, JH

« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 07:44:22 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline ton37

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 07:43:41 AM »
Hi @Rikki, the SX900 is known for being equipped with some very good speakers, which you can certainly get along with as a home user.
But there is always room for improvement and that largely depends on taste and hearing.
If you want to make it sound a bit fuller for yourself, a few external speakers are always a nice and useful addition to pimp the sound.
And there is a lot for sale there. Brands such as Bose (pass/compact), Yamaha, Maudio, Logitech etc. etc. and in all price ranges.
I myself have a pair of Logitech speakers (Z2300/2-1) and they sound fine. You would also be fine with the logitech Z6xx (2-1) series. Both THX certified and enough RMS.
If you want to make yourself a little more comfortable, purchase a (digital) stereo mixing console. 6/8 channel would be sufficient. Then you can easily adjust the high, middle and low tones 'on the fly' with the buttons. That's a bit easier than with the EQ of the keyboard.
 The keyboard also allows 'sub' connections, but that is a bit more laborious.
I hope this is of some use to you, others will probably pick up on this as well.
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: rikkisbears

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 08:29:57 AM »
Pair of power speakers can drastically improve the SX900 sound.
To test Plug in a good pair of headphones will quickly let you hear the improvements available.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 08:31:10 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline RobertM

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 09:36:14 AM »
Hi Rikki,
I've been using external speakers a long time now. My first were a pair of Behringer Studio 50 monitors. Recently I bought a pair of Yamaha HS-7.
Honestly, I still like the Behringers as, like you it's a home situation and don't need much volume. Also the Behringers are half the price of HS-7s.
Regards,
Robert.

The following users thanked this post: Keyboard Master, rikkisbears

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 01:03:47 PM »
I'm thinking about buying some external monitor speakers as well (for home use only), but I just can't decide. The thing is, I have no opportunity to check them out before buying. Yes, I saw "reviews", but it's like buying shoes: nobody can tell how they will feel on your feet.

I think SX700/900 has good enough speakers built in -for practicing and for small family party at home. For anything more than that, external speakers are a must have. One reasons why's that, is power. Everyone who knows a little about constructing high quality speakers knows, that saying "power is 10W", means absolutely nothing! To get the impression of speaker quality, more parameters are needed: sensitivity, sound pressure level, F3 frequency response, etc. In short: if comparing two speakers at power of 10W, it can easily happen that one will be twice as loud than another, and at much better audio quality at that. Power is "cheap" -no wonder everyone brags with it.

In that sense, I wouldn't say keyboards speakers (amplifier+case+speakers itself) have some "great" audio reproduction. But as said, it's good enough for enjoying at home.
However, for those who are into music production or are playing music in public, external monitor speakers (at home), is a must have. Because only in this case we can get the impression of how music will sound on stage... stereo reproduction for example: how are keyboard instruments (voices) placed on stage. And then there's frequency response.. Built in speakers can hardly reproduce low frequencies at even decent quality and so it can easily happen we crank up the volume of bass guitar in the style. But when such style is then played on higher quality speakers, bass (or drums) will literary blow away clothes of the audience.
I think, for reasons I've mentioned (and there's more), that's why TOTL keyboards have no built in speakers -because it's expected, that the owner will use (well placed) external speakers anyway.

Just sharing my thoughts,
Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 03:33:06 PM »
Hello, with my Genos I presently use a pair of Yamaha Hs8 powered monitors, mounted on K&M robust stands, set with tweeters at my hears height.

They sound beautifully, and deliver convenient power without distortion, better than headphones. The main difference with Hs7 concerns bass frequencies, because of the larger size of the speakers.

About price, they cost much less than many other good quality monitors. And once you buy, you keep them for many, many years. 

Ciao
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 04:06:57 PM »
I’d recommend powered bi-amped studio monitor speakers, rather than normal PA speakers.  The sound is much cleaner and natural sounding.  With the SX 900, I’m having good luck with a pair of PreSonus monitors-----the Eris E5 XT.  There’s plenty of sound for small groups and rooms.

The following users thanked this post: rikkisbears, P000170

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2022, 05:09:17 PM »
I’d recommend powered bi-amped studio monitor speakers, rather than normal PA speakers.  The sound is much cleaner and natural sounding. 

This is good advice. Even the best PA speakers color the sound. I'm using Mackie HR824 studio monitors which I've had for ages.

I was pretty happy with the PSR-S950 built-in speaker system (another reason to prefer SX9xx over SX7xx). However, the studio monitors provide a more accurate picture and color of the mix.

Hope this helps -- pj

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 08:54:51 PM »
Hi Jeff,
Wow, how are you, I think it’s been years??  What are you playing nowadays. I sold my 3 , pax’s when the sx900 came on the scene, and became a yammie user again after 10 years or so.
 Been very happy with the sx900.
Haven’t been around much this year due to health issues, but hopefully it’s
sorted, and I get my results next week.
Then I’m going to get my speakers if all is well.
Doesn’t hurt to do one’s homework first. Haha.

Hey Rikki :

It is nice to hear your voice again. ;)
Hope you are doing well.

If you are a frequent DAW user ( e.g. for editing, mixing, mastering etc. ), it might be interesting to buy a set of good sound quality " active " external studio speakers
and turn off your SX900 speakers.
But ... they are rather expensive, though. :P

If not, I think your present SX900 speakers are doing their job very well ... but who am I ? :)

Best regards from The Netherlands, JH
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2022, 09:07:18 PM »
Thank you everyone for your great suggestions, I’ll do some checking on the brands suggested. Unfortunately I am in the same situation as Bogdan, no opportunity to actually go to a store to check them out, but I’m guessing there’ s probably utube clips around  on some of these.

One more question, would one still need the Yamaha sub woofer speaker if I bought a reasonably good set of powered monitor speakers, or is the sub woofer really only of use to help boost the overall sound quality of the sx onboard speakers.

Thanks again.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2022, 09:33:44 PM »
Hi Rikki :

It is late in the evening here ( Tuesday ).  ;)
In Australia it must be early in the morning ( Wednesday ), right ?
I will send you a personal message tomorrow.
Bye for now, Jeff
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 09:37:09 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline ton37

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2022, 09:37:16 PM »
Hi @rikki, the logitech Z629 set  has 2 speakers and a seperate subwoofer. Maybe a used one/secondhand?? They are (here) not so expensive, but they have an great sound as an addition to my sx900.
My best regards,
Ton

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2022, 09:45:47 PM »
hi Rikki,
As for home use only, I was thinking about KRK Rokit RP5 G4 or Yamaha HS5 (my room is kinda small and I'm on budget). I watched some videos on Youtube and I think both are good value for money (by assuming they sound decent).

About subwoofer.. I have (excellent) Yamaha YST-SW160 that I bough many years ago and so I think I can talk from experience. Now, do you need one for keyboard (for home use)? Short/quick answer would be: no. And longer answer, it depends...
The thing is, subwoofer is not for making more bass/drum "punch" -it's needed to play low frequency that main loudspeaker can't. Now, if you check what lowest frequencies mostly used instruments produce, you'll see, that there aren't that many that play sounds below about 50Hz. On the other hand, some of instruments that do play frequencies well below 50Hz, are quite often used: piano, organ and bass guitar for example.
That is, if you wish perfect sound, then subwoofer can do the job -if adjusted properly! But instead of that, you can decide for a bit bigger studio monitors, which have 6" or 8" woofer.. in that case you can expect great sound even at very low frequencies.
That is, don't just buy subwoofer: buy main speakers first and then decide.

Bogdan

Offline mikf

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2022, 10:14:24 PM »
Some people love bass heavy music, but for most of us good 4 inch or 5 inch monitors will produce enough bass without a sub woofer in a home even small gig setting. You are likely not too bothered about professional level mixing, just a nice full sound.
There is great choice out there and a wide range of prices from great value MAudio around $100 per pair up to the superb Genelecs at more like $1000. The KRKs that Bogdan likes are great, so are Mackies, JBLs ……could go on and on. Like single malt Scotch, there isn’t really any bad stuff  just what you like and what you want to spend, so try to hear some first. But all will be a significant upgrade from the internal speakers.
Mike

Offline TiasDad

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2022, 11:25:03 PM »
I use a pair of M-Audio BX5 D2 near field monitor speakers which sound great in my small bedroom studio. I notice the D3's are out now for only £80gbp on Amazon. A great choice at a cheap price ;)

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2022, 07:08:25 AM »
Hi Rikki :

As promised I have sent you a PM. Receipt has been confirmed. ;)
Best regards, Jeff

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2022, 05:42:22 AM »
Hi @rikki, the logitech Z629 set  has 2 speakers and a seperate subwoofer. Maybe a used one/secondhand?? They are (here) not so expensive, but they have an great sound as an addition to my sx900.

Thank you Ton, I will check them out.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2022, 05:52:57 AM »
Some people love bass heavy music, but for most of us good 4 inch or 5 inch monitors will produce enough bass without a sub woofer in a home even small gig setting. You are likely not too bothered about professional level mixing, just a nice full sound.
There is great choice out there and a wide range of prices from great value MAudio around $100 per pair up to the superb Genelecs at more like $1000. The KRKs that Bogdan likes are great, so are Mackies, JBLs ……could go on and on. Like single malt Scotch, there isn’t really any bad stuff  just what you like and what you want to spend, so try to hear some first. But all will be a significant upgrade from the internal speakers.
Mike

Thanks Mike,
basically I’m just after a nice overall sound.
Might be worth mentioning the type of styles I use, ballads, movie, jazz, ballroom, Latin,  basically easy listening sort of stuff,  ( I’m stuck back in the 40’s ,50’s 60’s haha)  so maybe too much bass wouldn’t be ideal ?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 05:57:13 AM by rikkisbears »
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2022, 05:55:16 AM »
I use a pair of M-Audio BX5 D2 near field monitor speakers which sound great in my small bedroom studio. I notice the D3's are out now for only £80gbp on Amazon. A great choice at a cheap price ;)

Thank you, my set up is only in a fairly small bedroom/studio too.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2022, 06:57:35 AM »
Hi Bogdan ,
Thank you for explaining about a sub woofer, I had it totally wrong  in regards to sub woofer .  I thought it was to do with punchy  bass.
I mainly use piano sound as my lead instrument, so I may well benefit from having one  or  spend extra on a better set of   monitor speakers.
At least now I know what I need to look for.

I’ve never  before bothered to try and understand about frequencies etc.  30 years ago I had an expensive set of Tanoy’s  and an amp for my early synths and keyboards,   but for many years now I just used the Paas speaker system for my Korg pa x’s , it was convenient.

Thank you so much. I have a starting point. Might check out and see if there’s specs on Clavinova’s speakers , they would obviously cope with piano  very well? and see if there’s  anything available with similar specs I. regards to frequencies. ( might cost more than my SX,  haha)

hi Rikki,
As for home use only, I was thinking about KRK Rokit RP5 G4 or Yamaha HS5 (my room is kinda small and I'm on budget). I watched some videos on Youtube and I think both are good value for money (by assuming they sound decent).

About subwoofer.. I have (excellent) Yamaha YST-SW160 that I bough many years ago and so I think I can talk from experience. Now, do you need one for keyboard (for home use)? Short/quick answer would be: no. And longer answer, it depends...
The thing is, subwoofer is not for making more bass/drum "punch" -it's needed to play low frequency that main loudspeaker can't. Now, if you check what lowest frequencies mostly used instruments produce, you'll see, that there aren't that many that play sounds below about 50Hz. On the other hand, some of instruments that do play frequencies well below 50Hz, are quite often used: piano, organ and bass guitar for example.
That is, if you wish perfect sound, then subwoofer can do the job -if adjusted properly! But instead of that, you can decide for a bit bigger studio monitors, which have 6" or 8" woofer.. in that case you can expect great sound even at very low frequencies.
That is, don't just buy subwoofer: buy main speakers first and then decide.

Bogdan
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2022, 12:03:38 PM »
... I thought it was to do with punchy  bass...
Every good subwoofer can have "punchy" bass and it can also have "nice deep" bass. The experience mostly depends on music and the settings we made. While it's not really that important for "techno music" (as long there's a punch), proper subwoofer settings for real instruments music, is extremely delicate, to sound properly -to be "balanced" as we use to say.

I mainly use piano sound as my lead instrument, so I may well benefit from having one  or  spend extra on a better set of   monitor speakers...
Here's an image that shows frequency range of some instruments:

Typical (good) studio monitor speaker have a frequency range from about 50Hz (hopefully) to all the way up. What does that mean? It tells us, that we won't hear the lowest octave (C1) properly -not in the way how those keys sound on a real piano. The only question is, how important to you is the first octave? -and that answers the question about needing subwoofer or not.
All in all, as Mike said, I'm pretty sure decent studio monitors is all you need.

Bogdan

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2022, 12:48:27 PM »
Hi Bogdan :

Years ago, when I was regulary working in pro audio recording studio's, - ( during the good old analogue time ;) ) - the subwoofer did not even exist.
2 professional / very expensive speakers were a must.
Nowadays ( the digital era ), high quality speakers are still needed to make a good recording, mixing and mastering.

Most people will agree the analogue sound quality of recordings from then were generally excellent, even today, right ? :)

Best regards, JH
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 01:18:13 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline mikf

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2022, 01:41:55 PM »
I have a CVP 705. The sound system is good, much better than the speakers in your SX, but still not as good as even the lower cost 4 inch power monitors from reputable companies like MAudio. I wouldn’t bother too much about specs, you just have to hear them.
Mike

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2022, 02:20:37 PM »
Hi Mike :

Buying speakers is mostly easily. :)
Hearing them is not always so easy though. ???
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 03:20:37 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2022, 02:35:30 PM »
Ditto on home enjoyment vs studio use. Home enjoyment, just use the built in speakers, maybe add a subwoofer if you really want that "kick" in your sound. Studio use, I turn off the speakers or plug a dummy headphone jack in so the sound doesn't leak into the mics during recording.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2022, 04:04:55 PM »
Years ago, when I was regulary working in pro audio recording studio's, - ( during the good old analogue time ;) ) - the subwoofer did not even exist. ..
2 professional / very expensive speakers were a must.
Nowadays ( the digital era ), high quality speakers are still needed to make a good recording, mixing and mastering.

Most people will agree the analogue sound quality of recordings from then were generally excellent, even today, right ? :)

Best regards, JH

Excellent point Jeff! -and I also agree with the rest of your post.
We should know, that separate subwoofer is actually an "emergency" solution. They became popular in mid 90's, with "home theaters" coming to market. That way it was much easier to find good room placement for (small) satellite speakers and just putting subwoofer somewhere in back. And in home theater system, subwoofer was/is mostly because of punch: eartquake, explosions, etc. -where one can actually feel the pressure on chest.

For music however, we need "smooth" (yet still powerful) sound -that's why subwoofer adjustment is critical. As for music, there's important subwoofer disadvantage: it's in mono! You place bass guitar a little left on stage in style? Well, it won't work with subwoofer -bass will be wherever subwoofer is.
For most cheap 2+1 systems, there's not even specified where cutt-off frequency is. And so, it's quite common that "subwoofer" plays everything up to 200Hz (or even higher). Means, alt saxophone, for example, will also come out from subwoofer.. you wish to have have sax on the left side? Move subwoofer to the left.
In short: for music reproduction, only a pair of decent loudspeakers should be used.

Bogdan

Offline Dupe

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2022, 06:20:12 PM »
Can’t offer a recommendation, but reading your post made me smile, and  reminded me of the years way back in the past. As an electronics engineer, I worked for a Hi Fi retailer who stocked top of the range sound systems. Back then we had a large listening room set aside, with a range of speakers turntables and amplifiers all of which were controlled through a switching comparator. The idea of coarse was to demonstrate the tonal differences between audio products. We don’t all share the same ears of coarse, being able to listen to a range of speakers was at that time an excellent guide and “ears opener”! I remember visiting a company that produced spun concrete water pipes. These were around 4ft high and we installed an upward facing dual cone driver_ about 6 to 8 inches in diameter, mounted in a sealed plinth in the top rim of the column. These speakers sounded great, despite being unusual.
 Advantages.. Excellent bass response,  and you could paint them to match your living room.    Disadvantages.. Risk of a hernia, and unsuitable for suspended floors.
Happy days. :) Dupe

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2022, 01:27:26 AM »
I have a CVP 705. The sound system is good, much better than the speakers in your SX, but still not as good as even the lower cost 4 inch power monitors from reputable companies like MAudio. I wouldn’t bother too much about specs, you just have to hear them.
Mike

Hi Mike,
thank you for that, I was wrong in my assumptions again. Would have thought they would have a really brilliant set of speakers in the Clavinova’s. Gives me hope I can get something decent without spending an absolute fortune. Unfortunately , I have no hope of hearing them,  nearly 3 hours to the music store  and 3 hrs.  home. Hubby is brilliant with indulging me in my hobby, but not that keen on driving those long distances nowadays.  Even have to buy my keyboards without seeing them ( except on utube) . Wasn’t disappointed with my sx900.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2022, 01:45:34 AM »
Hi Guys, thank you so much. Think I will give sub woofer a miss , and spend that bit extra on the monitors if required.
Learnt a lot thru this thread.  Stuff that had basically never interested till now.  My old analogue Tannoy system was recommended to me by my keyboard salesman at that time. Figured he knew what he was talking about, because I sure didn’t.  From those I moved to the Paas speaker system for the Korg PAX’s. They were convenient being attached to the keyboard itself and didn’t look unsightly in the living area. Now that I have a music room to myself, I can have external speakers again, hence the question.
Really appreciate your help guys.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2022, 01:55:29 AM »
Can’t offer a recommendation, but reading your post made me smile, and  reminded me of the years way back in the past. As an electronics engineer, I worked for a Hi Fi retailer who stocked top of the range sound systems. Back then we had a large listening room set aside, with a range of speakers turntables and amplifiers all of which were controlled through a switching comparator. The idea of coarse was to demonstrate the tonal differences between audio products. We don’t all share the same ears of coarse, being able to listen to a range of speakers was at that time an excellent guide and “ears opener”! I remember visiting a company that produced spun concrete water pipes. These were around 4ft high and we installed an upward facing dual cone driver_ about 6 to 8 inches in diameter, mounted in a sealed plinth in the top rim of the column. These speakers sounded great, despite being unusual.
 Advantages.. Excellent bass response,  and you could paint them to match your living room.   
Disadvantages.. Risk of a hernia, and unsuitable for suspended floors.
Happy days. :) Dupe

Love it.  Reminds me of a friend of ours speakers. Set of JBL’s. I think he must of bought the biggest speakers he could find for his living area. These monsters were something like 3ft wide by 2 ft deep and about 4 ft  high. Don’t think he was ever able to turn them up to more than 10% volume, or the house would have shaken. Haha. I think he spent something like $10 k on his stereo setup , going back to about 1980.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline Dupe

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2022, 04:56:33 PM »
Thanks, Rikki,
Yes, I remember JBL and many other famous speaker manufacturers of their time...KEF, B&W, Wharfedale, Mordant Short, Quad, and many others. I've lost touch with the HiFi market now but I'm impressed with the sound from my PSR-SX700.
Regards Dupe

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2022, 10:43:54 PM »
Hi Dupe, my actual message didn’t come thru, just your quote.  Weird. Anyway , What I meant to write was about a friend who decided he wanted good speakers, must have bought the biggest jbl’s he could get.
Must have been at least 2ft deep, 3 ft wide and about 4 ft high.  Spent $10k on his stereo setup back in 1980. 
Our first little house only cost $10k back in  1970.
Found it hard to believe someone could spend so much on a stereo. Haha
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2022, 01:05:36 AM »
Hi
finally got to hear how a pair of external monitors could sound. My son still had my old Yamaha  Ms20s powered monitors tucked away in the garage. These I’m guessing are probably at least 30 yrs old but still working. Shows the quality of Yamaha products .  The specs on these are awful compared to some of the ones I’ve been looking up.
70hz - 15khz. Guessing bass frequencies aren’t  too good  unless again I misunderstood  some of  the stuff. I think they’re also only 20 watts and probably only a 4 inch cone plus tweeter. Anyway I plugged them in. Sound quality well,  ( though I used to love them)  hmm,  but they certainly add some presence. If I had to, I would use them, fortunately I  don’t have to, I can afford to buy something better.  May not have to go quite as up market as I had envisaged,  I had these turned up to half volume and they just about blew me out of my tiny studio/bedroom.  Thinking maybe going too big could be too powerful for the room, and just wasting money on a system I may not be able to turn up more than 5% to 10%.  Slowly narrowing down my options, Yamaha, JBL, KRK, Adam. I can get a really good price on Yamaha and JBL, not so on the other 2. Either way, having found those old Yammies,  definitely makes me want to add new monitors.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2022, 07:30:13 AM »
You need to be careful when comparing frequency range. The thing is, nowadays most brands just write 50Hz-20KHz without specifying at what conditions. Needless to say, that such info is worthless in this case. I repeat: worthless AND deceiving. The same is true if you only see "whooping 200W".
30 years ago we could get most relevant data, for example: frequency range at -3db fall-off (so called F3), sound pressure level at given frequency range, max input power at given frequency range, loudspeaker sensitivity, etc... -all things that matter and are important to get the impression of what we are buying (by comparing to other speakers).
For example.. if I only see 100W, then I start to ask myself: ok, but how loud is that speaker at 100W? What's the level of distortion at 100W? What frequencies is speaker capable to reproduce at 100W? How loud is this 100W speaker at 1W? etc. -all the questions that need an answer.
30+ years ago, all this data was available. At that time some speaker maybe didn't have "the best" specifications, but we at least knew, what we were buying. And so, it's quite possible that an 30 years old 20W speaker sounds much better and louder, than today's "100W" speaker.
One of the indicators, that hit alarm in my head is, when I see a speaker with 4" woofer, where seller claims frequency range starting at let's say 50Hz. I mean, there are physical laws why that (for "normal" sound quality) is impossible. And if seller lies about this thing, it's lying about everything.

Just sharing my thoughts -and ranting a bit  ;)
Bogdan

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2022, 01:50:25 AM »
Hi Bogdan, ***!, no wonder you haven’t bought one yet. You’re too well informed on all the aspects. Haha.
I’ve been reading the data provided by the various  manufacturers, who’s speakers I’m interested in. Some of it just doesn’t quite makes sense, when just say a $1500 speaker on the surface appears to have worse specs than a $500 one.

So physically impossible for a 4” woofer to start at 50hz?

Thank you. I’ll check thru the manufactures I’m looking at and see what they’re specifying on their 4inch speakers as well. As you said, if they lie about that, they probably won’t be telling the truth about the larger monitors. either.

The ones’s I’ve been looking at to date ,  (6 to 8 inch range) the  specs appear to be fairly similar  ie all the 8 inch ones have similar specs,  all the 7 inch etc pricing is fairly uniform also.

Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2022, 10:12:17 AM »
...Some of it just doesn’t quite makes sense, when just say a $1500 speaker on the surface appears to have worse specs than a $500 one.
I think you should interpret data correctly when looking at expensive speakers. In many ways, it's like cars... Ferrari is $300.000 but it won't go uphill on snowy road, while every 10-times cheaper 4WD will -still, both are very good cars.

...So physically impossible for a 4” woofer to start at 50hz?
-the answer depends on what "start at" means? Of course it can play 50Hz. I mean, a headset can play much lower than that with tiny 4cm (1 1/2") speaker. The question is, how loud the speaker is at that frequency. Loudspeaker sensitivity is defined by dB at 1m at 1W. This tells us how loud (dB) a speaker is at power of 1W and listened at distance of 1m. For average (good) speakers, that's between 86dB-92dB. If not familiar with dB, then let's say that 90dB is quite loud! Now, try to listen headset at distance of 1m.
So, what makes a low frequency speaker louder? It's the amount (volume) of air it can push, which is defined by membrane area and membrane movement distance. Conclusion: speaker can play certain low frequency, but it must be big enough to play it loud enough. If it's not loud enough, then we use to say "this speaker has no bass". And so engineers defined F3 frequency range, which says "at that frequency loudness falls down by max 3dB" -means, at lower frequency sound becomes quieter and finally inaudible.
I hope this somehow explains importance of speaker size. Of course there are other important parameters, but I'm afraid I'm already getting too boring  ;)
Just one more thought... Speakers that can really play 50Hz are considered as very good (hi-fi). I would say, for keyboard, a speaker that starts at 65Hz (-3dB!) is actually a very good one. Why at 65Hz? Well, that's where 2nd octave starts.

Bogdan

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, ton37

Offline ton37

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2022, 10:29:44 AM »
@BogdanH, appreciate sharing your knowledge with us.
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2022, 04:13:25 AM »
@BogdanH, appreciate sharing your knowledge with us.

Yes, we’re certainly learning a lot. Thank you Bogdan.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline Enildo

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2022, 02:32:05 PM »
Only buy the Sub from the yamaha ks SW100. It works great with the sx900 speakers.
You will see that the sound system will improve a lot.
I even make presentations with him alone for up to 30 people.
You won't regret it!

Enildo
When word fail, Music speaks!

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2022, 11:21:52 PM »
Hi
I think I ended up doing tooooo ! much research and ended up totally confused. Haha. All the sites said your room must be treated , or you’re just wasting money buying really good monitors? Don’t know if that pertains to , only if you’re planning on mixing ?or just in general.
Anyway, I ended up with the sx900 audio out going thru the audio in on the PA5x. My old PAAS (speaker system for Korg,) that   I had for my Pa3x , still works on PA5x and sounds reasonably good. Added more bass to to the sx900 .

So I’ve decided to wait till I sell my es920 piano before buying the monitors, it will give me a bit more space to be able to set my room up properly.

Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2022, 05:42:24 AM »
A very wise decision, Rikki ! :)
Take all the time you need.
It ain't easy to buy the right pair of speakers. ;)
Best regards, JH
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 07:59:14 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2022, 10:52:12 AM »
...All the sites said your room must be treated , or you’re just wasting money buying really good monitors? Don’t know if that pertains to , only if you’re planning on mixing ?or just in general.
About room acoustic treatment.. That's needed for music production, so "neutral" sounding music can be made -a sound that isn't influenced by room. That is, to make music that sounds "perfect" in ideal conditions. But even our rooms are not ideal, that doesn't mean we must turn them into "acoustic bunker" to enjoy the music.

Did you noticed, that those studio monitors we are looking for, are actually called "near field studio monitors"? It means, it's expected that speakers would be relative close (=near) to us and directed toward us (=monitor). In this case, room acoustic doesn't play some big role anymore -at least not for musician. But what about other listener in room? Usually it's enough if they are in the same direction toward speakers as musician.

And that's all? Well... yes -unless you perform in big bathroom covered with tiles. The thing is, average living rooms don't really have that bad acoustic as some say. Curtains, carpet, sofa, furniture, etc., all that absorbs and disperses sound good enough. The rest can be managed by changing low/high frequencies on equalizer or amplifier. Again, I'm having "normal" room in mind -for big rooms, things can change drastically.

Bogdan

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2022, 05:10:17 PM »
I use a pair of 5-inch studio monitors with the SX 900 all the time.  This is live play for retired groups of 15 to 25 people in most cases.  No problems at all in providing a full-bodied sound for folks, who don’t want it very loud anyway.  Many wear hearing aids and too loud is, obviously, too loud.  The clarity is present and the sound “pristine” via studio monitors.

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2022, 08:06:03 PM »
I use a pair of 5-inch studio monitors with the SX 900 all the time.  This is live play for retired groups of 15 to 25 people in most cases.  No problems at all in providing a full-bodied sound for folks, who don’t want it very loud anyway.  Many wear hearing aids and too loud is, obviously, too loud.  The clarity is present and the sound “pristine” via studio monitors.

Thank you. I’m starting to think I may just go for 5 inch as well, anything much bigger is going to be overpowering for the room.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2022, 08:41:17 PM »
About room acoustic treatment.. That's needed for music production, so "neutral" sounding music can be made -a sound that isn't influenced by room. That is, to make music that sounds "perfect" in ideal conditions. But even our rooms are not ideal, that doesn't mean we must turn them into "acoustic bunker" to enjoy the music.

Did you noticed, that those studio monitors we are looking for, are actually called "near field studio monitors"? It means, it's expected that speakers would be relative close (=near) to us and directed toward us (=monitor). In this case, room acoustic doesn't play some big role anymore -at least not for musician. But what about other listener in room? Usually it's enough if they are in the same direction toward speakers as musician.

And that's all? Well... yes -unless you perform in big bathroom covered with tiles. The thing is, average living rooms don't really have that bad acoustic as some say. Curtains, carpet, sofa, furniture, etc., all that absorbs and disperses sound good enough. The rest can be managed by changing low/high frequencies on equalizer or amplifier. Again, I'm having "normal" room in mind -for big rooms, things can change drastically.

Bogdan

Hi Bogdan, thank you, I was hoping that was the case.
All the utube stuff I found on monitors was  to do with mixing and  home studio’s and one guy in particular said, if your room isn’t treated, don’t waste your money on a good set of monitors. He was suggesting you needed to spend twice as much on room treatment  compared to what you spend on monitors. Eek!

Yes, the near field part of it I did understand.

My bedroom/music room is only about 10x12ft and carpeted. Wall to wall keyboards at the moment and a single bed. So that should help.

No wonder my paas  sounds so different currently  (so  much better) .
Last house,  Pa4x with Paas speaker, was in the living room 30x30ft with 25 ft cathedral ceilings  . Solid concrete walls , lots of window space & stone floors.  Sounds a bit like the bathroom you mentioned. Haha.
Acoustic nightmare.

Thanks again.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline mikf

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2022, 10:44:09 PM »
Thank you. I’m starting to think I may just go for 5 inch as well, anything much bigger is going to be overpowering for the room.
Speaker size is not necessarily related to loudness. It mostly driven by amp output, although speakers need to be able to handle the output so there is a tendency that big amp goes with larger speakers. But not necessarily.
Having read the posts, I would say you definitely don’t need anything bigger than 4 inch quality monitors. And if they are quality they will give a full enough bass for a small room. Yes there are people who love massive booming bass you can hear half way up the street, but I suspect you are not one of them. So ignore the stuff about the sub woofer and if you can’t go hear a selection to choose from, just buy the best quality 4 inch monitors that meets your budget. You will love them. The Maudio 4 inch would be about the lowest cost that still has quality I would recommend, but going up in price from these to other quality manufacturers like JBL etc you really can’t go far wrong. If the 4 inch Maudios are more than you want to spend, consider the next size down, there isn’t that much difference in a small room.
There will probably be a hundred posts telling me why I am wrong, but I am no novice at this and am pretty certain from reading your posts and understanding your needs, this will be perfect for you without breaking the bank.
Mike

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2022, 06:31:10 AM »
Thanks Mike,
definitely not a booming bass type person. I like nice quiet ballads, bit of country, musicals, swing, basically easy listening sort of stuff.
It’s quality I’m after really.  Definitely decided not to go over 5 inches, had toyed with the idea of 4 inch ones, just wasn’t sure,  glad you mentioned them.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2022, 02:27:50 AM »
Hi ,
Finally bought my monitors, went for a pair  of JBL LSR305P MKII, (hopefully ok) Got a great price on them , got 2 for just over the recommended retail price of a single unit. 
I was looking at a higher end pair of Adams and Lyd5’s , as well, they were  triple the price, but my keyboard guy said the jbl’s will do the job nicely. So figured, he could have sold me something far more expensive, so they should be fine.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2022, 09:15:00 AM »
Congrats Rikki!
In my opinion, if worth, you got the best there is in this price range -at least according to specs (really love seeing 49-20,000Hz +/-3dB).
Because bass-reflex vent is on the back, just make sure that backside is not too close to the wall.

Enjoy them.

Bogdan