Author Topic: Sustain Pedal FC4A Strange behaviour  (Read 1650 times)

Offline sunny

Sustain Pedal FC4A Strange behaviour
« on: November 08, 2022, 03:55:44 AM »
Friends,

I purchased new Yamaha Sustain FC4A pedal and when i press the pedal,instead of getting sustain effect on, but  the Registrations are changing. Any solution to the problem ?

Thanks,
Sunny

Offline overover

Re: Sustain Pedal FC4A Strange behaviour
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2022, 05:20:46 AM »
Hi Sunny,

on Genos, please press "Menu > Regist Sequence" to open the Registration Sequence display.

If this feature is switched on, the assigned pedals for the functions "Regist+" (Pedal 1 by default) and "Regist-" (Pedal 2 by default) override the "normal" pedal functions that are set in the Assignable display.

If you don"t use the Registration Sequence feature, just switch it to off here. Or, if you want to use this feature, leave it switched on, but set "Regist+" function to another pedal, e.g. Pedal 2. Set "Regist-" function to Pedal 3 or to off in this case.

Please also refer to pages 109/110 in Genos Reference Manual.

By the way, the Registration Sequence feature can only be switched on or off GLOBALLY, but unfortunately NOT per Registration.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 05:26:55 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: sunny

Offline sunny

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2022, 06:40:19 PM »
Hi Sunny,

on Genos, please press "Menu > Regist Sequence" to open the Registration Sequence display.

If this feature is switched on, the assigned pedals for the functions "Regist+" (Pedal 1 by default) and "Regist-" (Pedal 2 by default) override the "normal" pedal functions that are set in the Assignable display.

If you don"t use the Registration Sequence feature, just switch it to off here. Or, if you want to use this feature, leave it switched on, but set "Regist+" function to another pedal, e.g. Pedal 2. Set "Regist-" function to Pedal 3 or to off in this case.

Please also refer to pages 109/110 in Genos Reference Manual.

By the way, the Registration Sequence feature can only be switched on or off GLOBALLY, but unfortunately NOT per Registration.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,
      Thanks for the solution. It worked fine. Is there any way to control the sustain depth ? and what is the difference between Sustain effect and Sostenuto ? Are both effects same ?

Thanks,
Sunny

Offline andyg

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 08:32:24 PM »
Sustain and Sostenuto are not the same.

You'd use sustain as you would on a piano, and when held down, the note(s) will sustain for the natural length of the sound. You can apply sustain you any sound, but it's best used solely on voices that CAN actually sustain, or have a natural sustain element. Pianos, electric pianos, some of the guitars, some percussions like Vibes etc. Sustain on a trumpet is pretty odd, to say the least! One exception is strings, where adding a dash of sustain can add the 'cascading' effects used by orchestras such as Mantovani and James Last.

Sostenuto is a 'hold' function, some keyboards actually call it that. I use it when splitting the right side of the keyboard. I might have a Sax on the left side of the split, and hold a note with the pedal, allowing me to fill in with some brass on the right hand side. Can be very useful, giving you and extra 'hand'.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 09:14:19 PM »
Do people never consult the manual even as a quick cursory first stop when they have a problem, especially one this obvious!
Mike

Offline soryt

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 10:16:43 PM »
Push “Direct Access “ and than push  the pedal  .
And try to read the manual
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber