Author Topic: recording  (Read 2184 times)

Offline micktheplumber

recording
« on: November 06, 2022, 03:59:09 PM »
Hi i am going to use a Focusrite  solo to record to OBS wich are the best outputs to use i see there ate 2 lots , Ffocusrite suggested i use a trs to inst .input and trs to xlr into mic
and adjust balance,
thanks MICK

Offline overover

Re: recording
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 05:50:09 PM »
Hi Mick,

The Focusrite Scarlett "Solo" audio interface is actually "a size too small" for this purpose, as it doesn't have a stereo line input, only a mono mic input (XLR) and a mono line/instrument input. I recommend using a slightly larger interface that has at least two identical mono line inputs to feed in a stereo signal (e.g. the Focusrite Scarlett "2i2").

However, you could try the following with the Focusrite Scarlett "Solo":

Use a "TS to XLR male" (unbalanced!) cable and connect the "Line Out Main L/L+R" jack of the Tyros4 to the XLR input of the "Solo". Use a standard "TS to TS" (unbalanced!) cable and connect the "Line Out Main R" jack of the Tyros4 to the 6.3 mm (1/4 inch) Line Input jack of the "Solo". In the Focusrite Control app, pan the XLR Mic input hard left and the other input hard right (which hopefully is possible). Make sure that at the XLR input phantom power is NOT activated (indicator "48V" must not light up). In addition, the "Air" feature MUST NOT be activated and the line input MUST NOT be switched to "INST".

By the way, you will probably have to adjust the two GAIN controls on the "Solo" differently in order to achieve that both stereo channels arrive at the computer with the same volume.

P.S.
It is really important to use unbalanced cables, i.e. TS plugs, not TRS, because all Outputs on Yamaha arranger keyboard models are unbalanced.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 05:53:04 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline micktheplumber

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 06:49:20 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply Focusrite said the same thing but they said use trs cables ?
thank you
Mick

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 07:11:39 PM »
Mick, they probably didn't know your keyboard doesn't have TRS (balanced) outputs. They recommended TRS because TRS cabling prevents distortions in case you would use long cables.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 07:43:28 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply Focusrite said the same thing but they said use trs cables ?
thank you
Mick

Hi Mick,

We have had this topic (which are the right cables for connecting to audio interfaces, active speakers or external mixers) very often here in the forum.

The fact is that, as already mentioned, all outputs from Yamaha arranger keyboards are unbalanced, i.e. if you use TRS plugs, the middle contact (RING) does not get a signal, because this contact in the keyboard's output jack is NOT CONNECTED.

So if you use balanced cables (TRS to TRS or TRS to XLR), a balanced input (e.g. at the audio interface) expects a BALANCED (plus phase & minus phase / ground) signal. In fact, however, it is only an UNBALANCED signal (only plus phase / ground). However, the input for the minus phase (XLR pin 3 or the RING contact of a 6.3 mm (1/4 inch) TRS Line input jack does not receive a signal and is therefore "open". This can lead to hum, and moreover, in most cases the input signal is 6dB lower (because the minus phase signal is missing).

To say it again clearly: In order to connect unbalanced outputs to balanced inputs, unbalanced cables must be used. These should not be longer than necessary (or as short as possible). If longer cables are required, a DI box should be used (very short, unbalanced TS cables from the keyboard to the DI box and then any length of balanced XLR/TRS cables from the DI box to the balanced inputs).

By the way, you can easily turn a balanced "TRS to XLR male" cable into an unbalanced cable yourself by either bridging (short-circuiting) the RING and SLEEVE contacts inside the TRS connector or by bridging (short-circuiting) pins 1 and 3 inside the XLR male connector (or both). Of course you should have a little experience in soldering such connectors. Otherwise it is better to buy the appropriate cables (in your case, as I said, 1 * "TS to XLR male" and 1 * "TS to TS"). :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 07:57:30 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)