Author Topic: Two tier keyboard stand for PSR SX 900 (on upper level)  (Read 2295 times)

Offline chadsolo

Two tier keyboard stand for PSR SX 900 (on upper level)
« on: November 01, 2022, 05:52:17 PM »
I want to use my PSR SX900 as a sound generator for a weighted 88 keyboard. I am looking for a two tiered keyboard stand that I can I tilt the upper level so I can access the PSR SX900 controls more readily. The two issues I am experiencing are that I am having difficulty finding a stand that the second tier will support the depth of the PSR SX900 and secondly the PSR SX900 has a curved base at the front so when on a tilted stand it is difficult to keep it in place..I purchased an Xtreme KS142 not really thinking those issues through and the PSR SX900 just wouldn’t sit on the second tier in any stable fashion and tilting it was out of the question. It virtually slid off over the lugs on the upper tier stand that are designed to hold the keyboard due to the non flat nature of the PSR SX900 base… I would like to gig with a weighted keyboard driving the PSR SX900 so I’m definitely on the lookout for a solution to the above…Any ideas would be appreciated..

Offline BogdanH

Re: Two tier keyboard stand for PSR SX 900 (on upper level)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 06:37:08 PM »
Just an idea...
How about you put a thin wooden plate on second tier? The lugs would prevent the plate to move forward.

Now, how to prevent the keyboard to slid forward? Maybe you noticed, PSR has (big enough) rectangular holes on the bottom... That is, if you make something like "a stopper" (at least two were needed) at the right place on the plate, which would protrude into keyboards hole on bottom, then that would prevent keyboard to slid.

Another option would be, to attach "a stopper"on each tier arm. In that case a plate isn't needed, however tier arms should have the right distance (below the holes on keyboard bottom).

I hope that makes some sense for you.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

The following users thanked this post: chadsolo

Offline brucerez

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 09:37:27 PM »
I want to use my PSR SX900 as a sound generator for a weighted 88 keyboard. I am looking for a two tiered keyboard stand that I can I tilt the upper level so I can access the PSR SX900 controls more readily. The two issues I am experiencing are that I am having difficulty finding a stand that the second tier will support the depth of the PSR SX900 and secondly the PSR SX900 has a curved base at the front so when on a tilted stand it is difficult to keep it in place..I purchased an Xtreme KS142 not really thinking those issues through and the PSR SX900 just wouldn’t sit on the second tier in any stable fashion and tilting it was out of the question. It virtually slid off over the lugs on the upper tier stand that are designed to hold the keyboard due to the non flat nature of the PSR SX900 base… I would like to gig with a weighted keyboard driving the PSR SX900 so I’m definitely on the lookout for a solution to the above…Any ideas would be appreciated..

How about this Double-X Ergo Lok Keyboard Stand?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 09:41:23 PM by brucerez »

Offline chadsolo

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 01:53:26 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions...The PSR SX900 indeed has a variety of "holes" underneath, two of which,  (towards the front of the keyboard which are recessed screw holes) I was able to utilize by sitting the upward pointing stoppers on the keyboard stand "into" them....Whilst this would not seem the idea of the stoppers on the keyboard stand the result turns out to be remarkable sturdy even on an acute angle. The PSR SX900 sits slightly off centre because of the positioning of the screw holes but not enough to be a drama. Anyways , thanks again for the suggestions  :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 04:02:17 AM by chadsolo »

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 10:48:18 AM »
I'm glad you solved to problem and thank you for reporting!  :)

Bogdan

Offline Rcjwhiting

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 12:16:33 PM »
If it’s not too late, I love my K&M Spider two tier stand. I think it would give you what you need, plus it is solid, easy to adjust and, unlike Ultimate and some other stands, leaves plenty of room for pedals underneath.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SpiderProBK--k-and-m-spider-pro-black

P.S. I’ll sell you mine if you’re interested. I used it sporadically on gigs for a few months and then modified my set up so I’m not using 2 keyboards nearly as much. For the past couple of years it’s been my basement practice stand, so it’s in mint condition.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 01:10:30 PM »
... K&M Spider two tier stand... it is solid, ...leaves plenty of room for pedals underneath.
-I would disagree on that.
In general, spider stands are meant to be used when you play standing (i.e. on stage) -in that sense, K&M 18860 sure is very good (looking) product.
But I wouldn't use it at home, where we usually sit when playing: actually there's no room for pedals (at least not there where they belong) and it's too wobbly for my taste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mv0kr9s34I.
Don't get me wrong, K&M Spider is a good stand for what's intended -but in my opinion, it's not the best choice for home use.

Bogdan

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 11:00:27 PM »
Hi,
I had the same problem with my es920 piano and sx900. Mine is purely home use only. I didn’t know what type of stand to get either. In the end, my solution was staring me straight in the face, an old hall stand. 4ft long, just over a foot deep, and about 1inch taller than the piano. It allowed me to slide the sx900 over the top of the piano, with a
1 inch gap between  the piano and the keyboard , one set of keys just behind the other, looks like a double manual organ. Able to reach the sx900 buttons  reasonably easily from sitting position.

Unfortunately using  my PA5x 88 note is not going to be as easy to set up as the es920. Can’t slide the sx900 over the top in the same way. The PA5x is deeper and I’d be covering up the screen and buttons. Back to the drawing board. At the moment I have it at the side.  Love to find to find some way of vertically mounting it.

Glad to see you found a solution for yours.
Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline Rcjwhiting

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 02:47:34 PM »
“In general, spider stands are meant to be used when you play standing (i.e. on stage) -in that sense, K&M 18860 sure is very good (looking) product.
But I wouldn't use it at home, where we usually sit when playing: actually there's no room for pedals (at least not there where they belong) and it's too wobbly for my taste”

I used my Spider for playing stand up, but have quite comfortably played it sitting down for a while now. Not sure what you mean about no room underneath. I have room for my sustain, Leslie on/off and volume pedal underneath with no problem.

Different strokes…