Author Topic: Switch to choose either the FC-5 or he FC7  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Per Gunnar

Switch to choose either the FC-5 or he FC7
« on: October 31, 2022, 08:31:35 PM »
Is it possible to connect two  Yamaha FC-5 Sustain pedal and one Yamaha FC7 Expression pedal  to the keyboard at the “same time” using a switch to switch between one of the FC 5 and the FC7?
In that case what would be a good switch to use?

Offline BogdanH

Re: Switch to choose either the FC-5 or he FC7
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 12:05:37 PM »
It is possible, but I'm curious what would be the benefit of that? I ask, because FC7 can be used as expression pedal or as switch (depending on what function you assign to it). That is, even if you would connect two pedals on a single foot input, both pedals would always have the same function.
Would be nice to have three foot pedal inputs, though.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline Per Gunnar

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 06:24:51 PM »
I didn`t know that you could use the FC7 as a switch. Is it suitable for use as a switch?

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 09:54:13 PM »
Well, to be honest (and is only my opinion), it's easier and quicker to use sustain pedal as a switch (well, sustain pedal actually is a switch). Ok, FC7 can be used as a switch, but it has much longer travel than sustain pedal -means, it's very hard to change style section quickly (for example). Anyway, if you feel the need for 3rd pedal, then FC7 can be solution for you (it's kinda two-in-one).

Bogdan

Offline brucerez

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 11:15:50 PM »
Is it possible to connect two  Yamaha FC-5 Sustain pedal and one Yamaha FC7 Expression pedal  to the keyboard at the “same time” using a switch to switch between one of the FC 5 and the FC7?
In that case what would be a good switch to use?

Just FYI, I use Yamaha FC-5 pedal as start/stop for styles and it works perfectly.

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 11:38:44 PM »
Would it not be easier to just use two pedals and set up a couple of registrations. Use the registrations to toggle one of the pedals between different functions, instead of a switch and three pedals, which seems a clumsy way to achieve the same end.
Mike

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 10:43:28 AM »
Maybe some thoughts for new keyboard owners, who are thinking about buying (first) foot pedal...

If you're not sure what to buy, then you need a sustain (switch) pedal! There are more than 80 functions that can be assigned to foot pedal (Reference manual p.112) and over 95% of them can be used with sustain/switch pedal. Even further: if you're considering to buy additional foot pedal, it's probably sustain/switch pedal again.

About expression pedals.. Yes, it's tempting to be able to influence voice volume, glide/portamento, etc. while playing. But unless you're quite experienced musician, you will soon realize, that you're not using this feature as much you thought you would -at least that's my experience. The thing is, expression effects only make sense for certain instruments (voices). For example, volume expression is mostly used for organ playing. Here's an famous example of proper volume expression usage:
https://youtu.be/50xx1_CbJTI

As I mentioned in previous post, expression pedal (FC7) can be used "as switch", but is less practical for that purpose -and much too expensive to be used that way.

Bogdan