Author Topic: Accordion Midi on PSR S970  (Read 2112 times)

RichardTrench

Accordion Midi on PSR S970
« on: October 27, 2022, 11:22:22 AM »
I recently purchased a PSR S970 and I want to be able to use my Midi accordion as input to control the PSR. I have all the Midi hardware connected but I cannot work out how to change the settings on the PSR to allow the bass on the accordion to control the chords on the PSR and I also want to be able to use the RH of the accordion as a keyboard so be able to select all the various instrument sounds on the PSR and play them from the accordion. When I connect the accordion now, all I get is piano sound from both RH & LH of the accordion and the bass side does not change the chords of rhythms on the PSR.

Any advice on how to change this?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 07:29:09 AM by RichardTrench »

Online overover

Re: Accordion Midi on PSR SX970
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 12:59:39 PM »
I recently purchased a PSR SX970 and I want to be able to use my Midi accordion as input to control the PSR. ...

Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Richard!

Do you have a PSR-S970 or a PSR-SX900?

I recommend to create a user-definded MIDI template to play your accordion over the keyboard in the way you mentioned.

The first thing is, you have to find out the MIDI channels on which your accordion transmits. Most MIDI accordions use the following channels:

Right hand: Ch 1
Left hand Chord buttons: Ch 2
Left hand Bass buttons: Ch 3

Please post the current MIDI Channel setting of your accordion here.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

RichardTrench

Re: Accordion Midi on PSR SX970
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 07:12:00 AM »
Hi Overover,

I have a PSR-S970, sorry got it wrong initially.

I have checked the channels that the accordion transmits, and yes, it is as you said -
Right hand: Ch 1
Left hand Chord buttons: Ch 2
Left hand Bass buttons: Ch 3

So what do I need to do next?

Basically, I want the accordion to do exactly the same as the keyboard itself - RH plays the notes, LH plays the chords so that I can change chords on the various music styles from there.

Thanks.
Richard.

Online overover

Re: Accordion Midi on PSR S970
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 02:01:21 AM »
Hi Richard,

I recommend the following procedure:

Connect the accordion's MIDI OUT connector to the S970's MIDI IN socket.

Call up the MIDI settings on the S970 with "Function > MIDI". Normally the preset MIDI template "All Parts" is selected here.

Now select the preset template "MIDI Accord 1". Close the MIDI display by pressing the Exit button.

You should now be able to use the accordion's Chord buttons to control the Style. Turn ACMP ON, activate the Style SYNC START button and check if the Style starts by pressing a Chord button and if the Style responds properly to chord changes with the Chord buttons.

Note: The chords to be detected depend on the set Fingering Type. It should work if "Multi Finger", "Fingered" or "AI Fingered" is enabled. (To check the currently set Chord Fingering, press Direct Access > ACMP.)

To lock the current Fingering so that it can no longer be changed via Registrations, check the "Fingering" checkbox under "Function > Utility > tab Parameter Lock". ("Master EQ" should also be ticked there.)

Note: The Chord Types will be detected regardless of the Split Point settings. However, if you want to lock the Split Points for certain reasons, also check the "Split Point" checkbox in "Parameter Lock".

By the way, with the accordion's Bass buttons, you should can determine the Bass Note of the Style playback.

You should be able to control the S970's RIGHT 1-3 parts from the accordion with your right hand. The LEFT part is not needed in this case and should therefore be switched OFF.

If the above doesn't work for you as described, you would need to edit the MIDI settings and save as a User MIDI template. In that case, feel free to get in touch here again.

I wish you success!

P.S.
The preset template "MIDI Accord 2" is also intended for use with a STYLE. The difference to the "Accord 1" template is that in "Accord 2" the Style part "Style Chord1" can be played manually with the Chord buttons, and the Style part "Style Bass" can be played manually with the Bass buttons.

Of course there are many other configuration options in connection with a MIDI accordion. But for now I don't want to confuse you with more details ... ;)

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

RichardTrench

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 08:36:05 AM »
Thanks a lot Chris,

This worked perfectly. Really grateful for your advice.

Regards,
Richard.

Online overover

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2022, 02:39:36 PM »
Thanks a lot Chris,

This worked perfectly. Really grateful for your advice.

Regards,
Richard.

Thanks for your kind feedback, Richard!

I'm glad to could help you. :)

Best regards,
Chris