Author Topic: How to transfer mega size midi files  (Read 1102 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

How to transfer mega size midi files
« on: October 24, 2022, 06:15:27 PM »
i have access to a huge number of midi files
when i placed them first on a flash drive
then placed them in tyros 4
( this was several months ago) and pressed the correct button to migrate them for use
the huge size ( over 10,000 ) overwhelmed the tyros

can someone provide steps to doing this process on a macbook
i think whether mac or windows is irrelevant , but i wanted to mention it.
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Richard Kent

Re: How to transfer mega size midi files
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 06:48:47 PM »
Divide and conquer:  1) separate the files into groups/files that the keyboard can accept, 2)  then post/copy the groups/files, one-by-one, at the desired destination.

Richard
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 06:49:57 PM by Richard Kent »

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss

Offline overover

Re: How to transfer mega size midi files
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 07:02:26 PM »
Hi sugarplumsss,

Tyros4 can only work with a maximum of 500 files per folder. So you have to divide (move) the MIDI files into folders/subfolders on the computer and make sure that the stated maximum number of files is not exceeded. However, it is best to only work with a maximum of 100 files per folder. In addition, the length of the file name must not exceed 41 characters (including the file extension and, if present, the Icon ID, max. 50 characters are allowed).

By the way, with so many files, I would not initially copy all the files to a USB stick or the Tyros hard drive, but first play them back from the computer over the Tyros via USB-MIDI cable. Under Windows I recommend the programs "vanBasco Player" and (for managing the MIDI files) "PSR MIDI Database". There are certainly suitable MIDI Player programs/apps for the Mac that can output via USB-MIDI. You could also use a DAW such as Logic or Cubase, but a simple MIDI Player app would probably be better here if you're just looking through lots of MIDI files quickly.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 07:06:07 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: sugarplumsss