Author Topic: Guide to Replace Genos Keyboard Rubbers (strips)  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Tonyo1000

Guide to Replace Genos Keyboard Rubbers (strips)
« on: October 24, 2022, 02:11:03 PM »
Hi just wanted to put this link out to the community on how to replace the Genos Keyboard Rubbers. Hope you find it useful.   https://youtu.be/w0CY8SGrySI 
Tony O.
Singer, Keyboard Player, One Man Band
Yamaha Genos
Bose L1 Pro 16's

The following users thanked this post: frajag, overover, EB5AGV

Offline ugawoga

Re: Guide to Replace Genos Keyboard Rubbers (strips)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 02:53:46 PM »
I would not dare to open my Genos as i would probably cause more damage .
Cheaper to pay for the right service in the long run ;D
There is an English saying "Sod's Law"!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 05:21:08 PM »
There is an English saying "Sod's Law"!!!!!

There is another English saying; "A fool and his money are soon parted" !   ::) ;) :'(

Regards

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 08:46:45 AM »
Hi

You may be right "A cobbler never mends his own shoes"!!!!

"For me it is a case of "No fools ,No fun"!!! ;D :P ::) ???

« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 08:53:55 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Tonyo1000

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 07:19:27 AM »
Forgot to mention in my original post that you should not attempt this repair unless you have good technical ability and experience.  In my case I have years of electronics repair experience so I was not intimidated by the process.  My unit was well outside of the warranty window AND I have taken it to so called "authorized" repair facilities in the past with unsatisfied results.  We just don't have as many truly qualified repair facilities for GENOS in the USA as my friends in Europe and UK.     
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 09:42:46 AM by Tonyo1000 »
Tony O.
Singer, Keyboard Player, One Man Band
Yamaha Genos
Bose L1 Pro 16's

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 12:51:17 PM »
While we're on this topic, there is a YouTube video of the Yamaha repair manual that shows the pages on how to open and close the Genos. It's not easy to follow because it's a video and not still pictures of the pages. There is a specific bolt sequence when putting the two halves back together. Nobody uses that sequence in the YouTube videos but there must be a reason Yamaha wrote the manual that way.

Would anyone happen to have a PDF copy of that repair manual? If so, would you be willing to share it? Thanks...;).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline pjd

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2022, 01:09:35 AM »
Hi --

Here is the link to the YouTube Genos service manual video: https://youtu.be/nNY9l0UpxEA

The diagram to which Lee refers is at roughly 2:00. I suppose one can stop the video at that point and do a screen capture.

The prescribed sequence probably makes it easier to line up the two halves before inserting and tighten all the rest of those many screws!

-- pj
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 02:26:31 AM by pjd »